Page 227 of 721 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I once heard a song from Encore, Brian Auger & Julie Tippetts, from 1978. It was one of the best things I ever heard. Tippetts is Julie Driscoll's married name. It has been issued in everything from vinyl to Japanese CD.

The CD's are commanding a premium, but a vinyl addict might find a bargain.
    Yep, I have been digging Julie's vocals, and have always enjoyed Auger's later work with the Oblivion Express. I grabbed a copy of that Encore record a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thats one on my permanent "looking for" list .....she does one of the great versions of
    "Light My Fire" , holding onto that last FIRE for a very long time ..

wanna trade for it ??

snagged these this week ....hadn't seen the RP album before , the JA album has a fantastic ending on "A Child is Coming" ...where they are playing the feedback , making it tuneful. Double of Willie & Leon seemed like a fun thing for 85 cents.

OBTW: I picked up the double of Manassas a bit back...put it on the TT and the arm was tracking up and down like crazy..guess I missed that when grabbing at the show.
    anyway , I placed it under one of the 4671's (103 pounds) for a week ,,,,,,they is sure FLAT now....
    Yes, nice cover of Light My Fire on Streetnoise. They also cover Nina Simone, Laura Nyro, and "All Blues" by Miles Davis. I bet you'll enjoy that RP record - it cooks. I hate those edge warps - sometimes it's hard to see them until they are spinning on a TT. You might have re-flattened the record, but if the grooves are stretched/distorted by the warping, there's no un-stretching/un-distorting them.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Brian Auger & Julie Tippetts - Encore
    (1978, Warner Bros) KENDUN-A JG in the deadwax; mastered by John Golden at Kendun Recorders

....hadn't seen the RP album before
    You've never heard "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley"? I'm sorry for your deprivation. Still doesn't sound dated, even today. Little Feat and The Meters sung by a British chap. A fine album.

Used to hear Robert Palmer all the time at a rather small local venue. A great talent lost too soon.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You've never heard "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley"? I'm sorry for your deprivation.
    of course, its on 'da pod ...and even the medley with "Sailin' Shoes" , but had never seen the album itself.

read carefully, then post.

hadn't seen the RP album before
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

read carefully, then post.

Sorry. I'm old school.
    Figured if you hadn't "seen" music, you hadn't heard it, either. Must be my synesthesia.

That one's in my vinyl collection under "played nearly daily until I duped it to tape on the Dragon".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Stan Getz - Getz Au Go Go
    (1964, Verve) Mono pressing; VAN GELDER in the deadwax

Recorded at the Cafe Au Go Go, Greenwich Village, NYC, 8/19/64; Astrud Gilberto, vocals; Gary Burton, vibes; Kenny Burrell, guitar. with composer Antonio Carlos Jobim sitting in. A recent estate sale find.

Hawkwind - Acid Daze The History Of Hawkwind
    (1990, Receiver Records LTD) ADRENALIN in the deadwax

3 LP box set, listening to record 2. A thrift store find from a couple of years ago.

Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane Takes Off
    (1966, RCA Victor)

The Grateful Dead - Anthem Of The Sun
    (1968, Warner Bros) 1979 issue with tan label

Jan Garbarek, Keith Jarrett - Belonging
    (1974, ECM)

Jarrett's first album with his European quartet, recorded April 1974 in Oslo. Some nice jazz for Sunday morning.

The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
    (1969, Warner Bros) Artisan symbol in the deadwax

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sorry. I'm old school.
    Figured if you hadn't "seen" music, you hadn't heard it, either. Must be my synesthesia.
    Phil
    your "old school synesthesia" (definition plse) does bring up a sub-topic ....
    hearing & enjoying music without ever seeing it .

In the 60's,70's,80's and part of the 90's (pre internet) ... if you were a radio listener who didn't have access to mags or a record store, the norm would be to hear and know music of a group without ever knowing who they were or looked like. I grew up in an affluent , older population town and dont even know if there was a record store . Didnt read the mags and so your idea of an artist or group was whatever you could glean from the music/DJ's..CCR was often thought to be a southern black group , tho early on in their career (Golliwogs days) they tried to dress British and get in on the British Invasion fad.

so back to the original jibe .....am very familiar with RP , just had NOT seen that album cover before in all my box digging.

it rather suggests another sub-topic "regionality" , but we'll save that for a different post.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sky - self titled
    (1979, Ariola) UK pressing; mastered by Nick Blair at EMI Abbey Road

Classical Rock fusion with Francis Monkman of Curved Air and classical guitarist John Williams. sounds nice. A $1 record show pickup this morning.

Various Artists - Chess / Janus LP Sampler
    (1972. Chess/Janus) STERLING in the deadwax

includes tracks by Muddy Waters, Harvey Mandel, Jack McDuff, Aretha Franklin, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley. one of a couple dozen jazz/blues records (including a few other samplers) that I grabbed for 50cents each at a record show this am.

Focus - Ship Of Memories
    (1976, Sire) J.G. in the deadwax; mastered by Joe Gastwert at Masterdisk

compilation of previously unreleased material by band including the title track. a $1 record show pickup today.

Thread Information