Page 206 of 721 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306706 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Animals - The Animals On Tour
    (1965, MGM) Mono pressing E-4281

The Animals 2nd US record. It's not a live album. The liner notes talk about The Animals first tour of the US, going to see John Lee Hooker, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, and ...
    Many hours were spent browsing about and buying in record shops. So many new discs were bought that they literally had to purchase more baggage to take home these new additions to their collections.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quincy Jones - Smackwater Jack
    (1971, A&M)

includes Bill Cosby doing a vocal solo on "Hikky-Burr", the theme from the original Bill Cosby Show which is credited to Cosby and Jones. w/ Eric Gale, Freddie Hubbard, Milt Jackson, Jim Hall, Toots Theilmans, Grady Tate, Ray Brown, Carole Kaye, AND Chuck Rainey on Bass, Paul Beaver on the Moog, Dick Hyman AND Jimmy Smith on the Organ, Joe Sample AND Jackie Byard on piano.

The Howard Roberts Quartet - All Time Great Instrumental Hits
    (1966, Capitol)

The quartet includes an organ and rhythm behind Howard Robert's "fleet fingered inventiveness". Another cheesecake cover.

Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie - Ella And Basie!
    (1963, Verve)

Arrangements by Quincy Jones.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
    (1977, MCA)

I picked up this one last month for a couple of bucks. original pressing of the cover with the band standing in flames. The last album with the original band, 3 of whom died in a plane crash shortly after the album was released.

trekked out to the flea market today and brought these 2 home....had never even seen mention of "Secret Messages " before..saw RAM and recalled that somehow I didnt have this and it was in VG condition...so back to the 70's for a bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Messages

Secret Messages, as its title would suggest, was littered with hidden messages in the form of backmasking, some obvious and others less so. This was Lynne's second tongue-in-cheek response to allegations of hidden Satanic messages in earlier Electric Light Orchestra LPs by Christian fundamentalists which led up to early 1980s American congressional hearings (a similar response had been made by Lynne on the Face the Music album, during the intro to the "Fire On High" track).[1] In Britain the cover of Secret Messages has a mock warning to youth about the hidden messages. Word of the album's impending release in the United States caused enough of a furor to cause CBS Records to delete the cover blurb there
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

UFO - Phenomenon
    (1974, Chrysalis)

3rd album from UFO and the first for then 19 year old guitarist Michael Schenker. Produced by Leo Lyons, the bassist from Ten Years After.

earlier...

Zephyr - self titled
    (1969, ABC Probe)

debut record from the Boulder, CO band formed by Tommy Bolin in 1969. This is some great blues based hard rock. Allmusic says that the vocals from Candy Givens are sometimes histrionic, fair enough, but she really belts out and reminds me of Lydia Pense or Ann Wilson. I knew that I had a Tommy Bolin album, but I'd forgot that it was this one.

now...

Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
    (1973, Atlantic) AT/GP in the deadwax; mastered by George Piros; engineered by Gene Paul (Les Paul's son), at Atlantic Studios

Nelson's debut record with Atlantic, with some early 70s rock attitude and playing in some of his tracks, plus a cover of Leon Russell's You Look Like The Devil. with David Bromberg on electric guitar; Waylon Jennings.

The Allman Brothers Band - The Best Of The Allman Brothers Band
    (1980, Polydor) STERLING in the deadwax

This would be a good intro to the band, it's a compilation of tracks from early 70s ABB records including a lot of my favorites "Melissa," "Jessica," "Statesboro Blues", "Dreams I'll Never See", "Blue Sky", "Little Martha".

Jefferson Airplane - Flight Log
    (1977, Grunt) KENDUN JG in the deadwax; mastered by John Golden at Kendun Studios

2 LP compilation from Airplane and side projects; listening to record 2 with tracks released in 1971 from Slick/Kantner's Sunfighter, Bark and Long John Silver, plus a 1972 track from Casady/Kaukonen's Hot Tuna - Burgers title. A nicely done record highlights Casady's legendary bass playing for me.

Chick Corea, Mike Longo - Piano Giants
    (1974, Groove Merchant) Bell Sound sf in the deadwax; mastered by Sam Feldman at Bell Sound Studios

2 LP compilation from Groove Merchant, an American jazz and R&B record label in the 70s. Listening to record 1 - Corea's work with Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Hubert Laws.

Lyle Mays - self titled
    (1986, Geffen) "originally mastered by Bob Ludwig, Masterdisk, NYC"

Mays is best known for his work with guitarist Pat Metheny as a co-composer and member of the Pat Metheny Group. This is his first solo LP, with Bill Frissell on guitar. Mays on piano, synths, autoharp.

Return To Forever - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy
    (1973, Polydor)

Jazz fusion instrumentals with a rock bite delivered by Stanley Clarke on bass, Lenny White on drums, and Bill Connors on electric guitar, backing Corea's keyboard explorations. my favorite RTF record.

The Knickerbockers - Lies
    (1966, Challenge) CHS 622

I picked this up in a large collection a few years ago, plays wonderfully. I bought the 45 of Lies back in the 60s when it was side-by-side with Beatles hits in the Top 40. This is a first listen to the LP. They were definitely channelling the Liverpool sound here, catchy 60s rock pop tunes with organ and more of the fuzzy guitar chords that saturate "Lies".

Ellen McIlwaine - Everybody Needs It
    (1982, Blind Pig) MASTERDISK in the deadwax; mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, NYC

w/ Jack Bruce on bass. Slide guitarist and singer-songwriter does several of her own songs as well as covers of songs by Tim Hardin, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, and Bruce's "Regretting Blues". Strong vocals remind me of Grace Slick, strong blues guitar playing. Picked this up last year, first listen. great record!~

Thread Information