Page 205 of 721 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305705 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Gentle Giant - Octopus
    (1972, Vertigo) UK pressing

a later issue, without the Vertigo swirl label but with the cool Roger Dean gatefold artwork.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Rolling Stones - Black And Blue
    (1976, Rolling Stones Records) STERLING LH in the deadwax; mastered by Lee Hulko at Sterling Sound

First studio album with Ron Wood as Mick Taylor's replacement, he plays on half the tracks, with the other tracks covered by Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins.

The album was promoted with a controversial billboard on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood that depicted the model Anita Russell, bruised and bound by Mick Jagger under the phrase "I'm Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones — and I love it!" The billboard was removed after protests by the feminist group Women Against Violence Against Women, although it earned the band widespread press coverage.
    /\ I remember seeing this, maybe I saw reporting on the billboard? a $1 thrifty grab tonight, in excellent shape.

The Animals - Animalization
    (1966, MGM) 1986 Polydor Mono reissue

released in July 1966, not to be confused with Animalism which was released in November 1966. With three US Top 40 singles including Don't Bring Me Down. I also have a original MGM Stereo pressing, shown in the 2nd picture.

Richie Havens - Mixed Bag II
    (1974, Stormy Forest/Polydor) STERLING in the deadwax; Promo/NFS

Like a lot of folks I first heard Havens with his incredible Woodstock opening acoustic performance of George Harrison's Here Comes The Sun. Several covers here but he has a lot of electrical help, including Steely Dan session guitarist Elliot Randall playing the leads on Dave Mason's Headkeeper and Neil Young's The Loner (Greg Reeves, from CSNY's Deja Vu band, on Bass). Also covers of Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady (of the Lowlands) and McCartney's Band On The Run.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post

released in July 1966, not to be confused with Animalism which was released in November 1966. With three US Top 40 singles including Don't Bring Me Down. I also have a original MGM Stereo pressing, shown in the 2nd picture.
    a different set of tracks than I'd expect on Greatest Hits

saw RH at SandyEggo State U ...great showman

here are the CB tracks ...many I've never heard b4.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Richie Havens - Mixed Bag II
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

yes, I'm a CB appreciator... (tossed this back 2x, but finally took it)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
    (1967, London) Mono pressing

I know this isn't a universally loved record but I always enjoy it, a weird departure for the Stones from their usual blues rock.

The Animals - Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted
    (1977, Jet/UA)

A reunion of the five original Animals, first time together on a studio effort since the mid 60s — Eric Burdon, Alan Price, Hilton Valentine, Chas Chandler, and John Steel. It does sound like they pick up where they left off, sounds and looks like they are having fun together. Includes a ~5 minute bluesy cover of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners
    (1971, Atlantic) German pressing; artisan symbol in the deadwax

One of the solo LPs that each member of CSNY released after Deja Vu. includes performances by David Crosby, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Neil Young, Dave Mason, David Lindley, Chris Etheridge, Rita Coolidge. Terry Reid co-authored "Be Yourself" with Nash. a long time favorite for me, Nash hits the mark with this one with simple and sincere songs. It probably doesn't hurt that he had the supporting cast of Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Flying Burrito Brothers, etc, in the LA and SF studios/circles where some great music was being produced by these characters at that time.

The Gregg Allman Band - Just Before The Bullets Fly
    (1988, Epic) VLADO in the deadwax; mastered by Vlado Meller at CBS

glossy late 80s production and tight, straight-ahead rock, nice writing from Allman on some of the tracks.

Cool Early CB...

here are the CB tracks ...many I've never heard b4.
    Some of their best from the early albums. More their roots in Gospel than the later psych era. I have most of theirs, starting with "The Original Chambers Brothers", "Shout" and more I don't remember. I saw CB at age 15 or so, my mom took me and my little brother. Opening act was John Chipollina's Copperhead. CB made us wait 45 minutes, then only played for 45...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Some of their best from the early albums. More their roots in Gospel than the later psych era. I have most of theirs, starting with "The Original Chambers Brothers", "Shout" and more I don't remember. I saw CB at age 15 or so, my mom took me and my little brother. Opening act was John Chipollina's Copperhead. CB made us wait 45 minutes, then only played for 45...
    tried disk 1 ..lots of gospel...played better than condition appeared ...think I'll digitize and let AudioLava clean it up

I saw the CB at SBCC in mid '68 on leave from bootcamp ..they opened for The Doors and were the better show.

Santa Barbarians get lots of good shows..

Stopped at Deseret thrift today

abt half of the 10 I grabbed are dups, but they were in such great condition and only 50 cents each....never saw the CCR revived B4..

.....never saw the CCR revived B4..
    rear ..(somehow that Goth/Wedding font doesn't fit the CCR style)

Just popping in to say hey!

Miles Davis ~ Milestones

Columbia Six Eye CL 1193 Mono

with Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Paul Chambers, Red Garland, "Philly" Joe Jones

A recent 99 cent thrift find in very good condition in shrink wrap. First listen.

Raphael Mendez Laurindo Almeida - Together
    (1968, Decca)

Trumpet and Guitar duets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Bob View Post
    Just popping in to say hey!

Hey!

Nice Miles. Always fun to see excellent condition jazz at the thrift store. after wading through hundreds of John Davidson, Andy Williams, Roger Whittakers, etc, At first you don't believe what your eyes are registering then it's woohoo.

Thread Information