Page 202 of 721 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302702 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Nilsson - Aerial Ballet
    (1968, RCA)

includes Fred Neil's song Everybodys Talking, which was a hit for Nilsson and was on the Midnight Cowboy film soundtrack. from wikipedia: His paternal grandparents were Swedish circus performers and dancers, especially known for their "aerial ballet"
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
    (1987, Geffen) Promo/NFS; artisan symbol in the deadwax

an XTC side project pays homage to 1960s psyche. A first listen, great tunes. A garage sale pickup last summer.

Various Artists - Hillbilly Jazz
    (1977, Flying Fish)

David Bromberg, Vassar Clemens, DJ Fontana, other acoustic artists in a 2 LP release. a clearance find at HPB this week.

John Barry - Great Movie Sounds Of John Barry
    (1966, Columbia)

He died last week at age 77. I heard a re-run of an NPR interview done in the 90s, lots of entertaining stories coming up with songs to fit the crazy Bond titles...like "Thunderball". R.I.P. John Barry.

The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
    (1963, Capitol) Mono pressing

Some inspirational music while surfing the travel sites, spring break beach time next month with my kids, break out the huarache sandals.

Pete Townsend - Empty Glass
    (1980, Atco)

The album was written and recorded between 1978 and 1980. His first true solo LP, called the Who album that never was by some. It shows Townshend's continuing ability to come up with great material, this includes "Let Me Love Open The Door", a great song and a top ten hit in the US.

James Gang - Thirds
    (1971, ABC) Artisan symbol + "with love from Jessica & ?" in the deadwax, both sides

recorded fall 1970, this was the last James Gang studio album with Joe Walsh. More of Joe's signature scorching guitar work, multi-tracked into a "train wreck" on Walk Away. I'm comparing a couple of copies which appear identical except for the runout matrices, one has "1A" and the other "RE1" appended to the matrix numbers. The latter has "with love from Jessica..." script in the deadwax which appears on several JG titles.

Kayak - Phantom Of The Night
    (1978, Janus) "limited edition of 2520/3000" picture disk

6th album from Dutch progressive rock band formed in 1972. This is mostly overblown keyboard pop and bland vocals, I can only take 1 side. A cool picture disk though.

Wayne Berry - Home At Last
    (1974, RCA) TML-M in the deadwax; mastered by Arnie Acosta at the Mastering Labs, Hollywood

Country-rock singer songwriter backed by some heavyweights and recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios and Quadraphonic Studios, Nashville; produced by Norbert Putnam. with Jeff Baxter, Pete Carr, Jackson Browne, Kenny Buttrey, Jessie Ed Davis, Jim Gordon, Roger Hawkins. Sounds like an early Dan Fogelberg album, with some amazing guitar picking and a thumping bass backbone & some pleasant, lightweight lyrics about nature and simple living. "Welcome Home" sounds like one from Jackson Browne's apocalyptic songs - Rock Me On The Water or From Silver Lake - and Browne's voice is heard clearly on the harmonies here. Nice.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Wayne Berry - Home At Last
    (1974, RCA) TML-M in the deadwax; mastered by Arnie Acosta at the Mastering Labs, Hollywood

Country-rock singer songwriter backed by some heavyweights and recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios and Quadraphonic Studios, Nashville; produced by Norbert Putnam. with Jeff Baxter, Pete Carr, Jackson Browne, Kenny Buttrey, Jessie Ed Davis, Jim Gordon, Roger Hawkins. Sounds like an early Dan Fogelberg album, with some amazing guitar picking and a thumping bass backbone & some pleasant, lightweight lyrics about nature and simple living. "Welcome Home" sounds like one from Jackson Browne's apocalyptic songs - Rock Me On The Water or From Silver Lake - and Browne's voice is heard clearly on the harmonies here. Nice.
    I'd like to find that one. Your earlier comment on the notes in the deadwax reminded me of one I've seen, I think it was Dan Fogelberg's first, said "Recorded At Home".
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Dusty Springfield - Dusty Springfield's Golden Hits
    (1966, Phillips)

This is a compilation of her early hits. Some interesting trivia on Wikipedia:

During the Memphis sessions in November 1968, Dusty suggested that the heads of Atlantic Records should sign the newly-formed band Led Zeppelin. She knew the band's bass player, John Paul Jones, who had backed her in concerts. Without having ever seen them and largely on Dusty's advice, the record company signed a $200,000 deal with them. That was the biggest contract of its kind for a new band up until that time

Wayne Berry

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    I'd like to find that one. Your earlier comment on the notes in the deadwax reminded me of one I've seen, I think it was Dan Fogelberg's first, said "Recorded At Home".
    I found some background information - Berry was in an L.A. country-rock band called Timber, they had a 1971 record on Elektra titled "Bring America Home". no doubt he ran in the same circles as Jackson Browne. I'll have to check for deadwax markings on the Fogelberg records, a good excuse to spin one. Joe Walsh played (and produced) some of the DF records, IIRC.

Dan Fogelberg - Home Free
    (1972, Columbia)

Debut album for the late singer/songwriter. recorded at Quadraphonic Sound Studio, Nashville; produced by Norbert Putnam; with Kenny Buttrey, Norbert Putnam, David Briggs. "Thanks list" includes Jim Messina.

Feels appropriate tonight.

One of my favorites from Brian.

Just Play Music.

Rodney Crowell - Ain't Living Long Like This
    (1978, Warner Bros) KENDUN in the deadwax; mastered by Geoff Sykes at Kendun Recorders

with Dr. John, Ry Cooder, Albert Lee, James Burton, Emmylou Harris, Nicolette Larson, Willie Nelson. I heard an interview with Crowell on NPR tonight which inspired my to play this, it's a GREAT record. I recognize a few of his songs which were covered by others including "Voila, An American Dream".

New Trolls - Searching For a Land
    (1972, Cetra)

Italian progressive rock band, this record is a lot of symphonic psychedelic rock experimentation with most tracks sung in English. A huge soundstage, thundering low frequencies.

Thread Information