Page 201 of 721 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301701 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Love - da capo
    (1967, Elektra)

Listening to side 2: 1."Revelation" (Lee, Bryan MacLean, Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi) – 18:57
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Turtles - The Turtles Present The Battle Of The Bands
    (1968, White Whale)

A concept album, with the band pretending to be a series of different groups, playing in varying styles from psychedelic "The Last Thing I Remember, The First Thing I Knew" - The Atomic Enchilada, to surf music "Surfer Dan" - The Cross Fires, to bluegrass "Chicken Little Was Right" - Fats Mallard and the Bluegrass Fireball. "Food" - The Bigg Brothers, includes a brownie recipe with a special ingredient. Fun stuff, nice job covering different music styles. The inner gatefold includes pictures of the different bands.

Neil Young - Comes A Time
    (1978, Reprise) mastered by Phil Brown and Stu Romain at Columbia, NY

recorded over 2 years between 11/75 and 11/77 at several locations...Triad Recording, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Columbia Recording Studio, London; Wally Heider Recording Studio, Hollywood; Woodland Sound Studios, Nashville; Sound Shop, Nashville, and Broken Arrow Ranch, Redwood City, CA. Originally intended as a solo LP. with Nicolette Larson on harmony vocals; Spooner Oldham; JJ Cale; Crazy Horse backing a couple of songs. Purchased new, one of my favorites.

GRP Jazz Collection cd#5. Great music, outstanding sonics.

They know/knew what they're doing.

More... ( All ~sick~ ear candy),,, 9.5+ / 10 Sonics!

- Jay Lacy, "Back to the Tone Age"

FEATURING 12 GREAT INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS, PERFORMED ON 12 DIFFERENT VINTAGE GUITARS.
    ALSO FEATURED ON THIS CD IS "ERNIE BALL. PLAYING RHYTHM GUITAR ON TRACK 4 "UP A LAZY RIVER"/"SWEET GEORGIA BROWN"

LINER NOTES: "I've always thought Jay to be a most accomplished and versatile player over the 20 years
    we've known each other. The skillful way he handles the diverse styles on this CD proves it".-ALBERT LEE

Price is $10.95

http://jaybirdmusicco.net/
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 02-03-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: screwed up.

RE: "THE BRIDGE"...Super great album!!!

James Gang - Yer Album
    (1969, ABC) SS in the deadwax; mastered by Lee Hulko at Sterling Sound

with a 6 minute cover of Stephen Stills' Bluebird (dedicated to "the Buffalo Springfield and all it's descendants"), and a 9:06 cover of the Yardbirds' Lost Woman. Purchased new in the 70s, my favorite James Gang record.

Had the iTouch streaming

to the Senns in the rack last night ..... some long, pretty good tune was doin its thang ..

so I awakened it to find out what was playing ..... Funkadelic "Maggot Brain"

dont know if I've ever heard them b4 .... but it was "kinda funky" & good......

anybody here a fan ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    to the Senns in the rack last night ..... some long, pretty good tune was doin its thang ..

so I awakened it to find out what was playing ..... Funkadelic "Maggot Brain"

dont know if I've ever heard them b4 .... but it was "kinda funky" & good......

anybody here a fan ??
    Yep - I knew Maggot Brain back in college, but Emma is a fan of the whole P-Funk mothership groove - well, except for the newest stuff!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills Live
    (1975, Atlantic)

recorded March 1974 at Auditorium Theatre, Chicago. includes a version of "Rocky Mountain Way" tucked into a Stephen Stills medley, with some scorching guitar. A nice version of Wooden Ships also on The Electric Side. Playing with Joe Lala, Russ Kunkel, Kenny Passarelli.

I saw Stills perform a few months later, in August '74. The opening show for the 1974 CSNY reunion tour in Seattle. It was a fantastic show[/URL], they played a 4.5 hour set with 44 songs, ending after 1:30 in the morning. Ticket price? $8.50.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills Live
    (1975, Atlantic)

recorded March 1974 at Auditorium Theatre, Chicago. includes a version of "Rocky Mountain Way" tucked into a Stephen Stills medley, with some scorching guitar. A nice version of Wooden Ships also on The Electric Side. Playing with Joe Lala, Russ Kunkel, Kenny Passarelli.

I saw Stills perform a few months later, in August '74. The opening show for the 1974 CSNY reunion tour in Seattle. It was a fantastic show[/URL], they played a 4.5 hour set with 44 songs, ending after 1:30 in the morning. Ticket price? $8.50.
    I don't have that album, I don't know how I missed it. The only time I was at the Auditorium Stills was there then too. The venue was newly restored to its original (perfect) acoustics, a product of Louis Sullivan's engineer partner Adler. The place had been an abandoned wreck for years. It would still be difficult to find a better sounding place to hear music.

It was CSN&Y and it was the first time they had played in public. Joni Mitchel opened. The next day they played their second gig - Woodstock! I don't remember what I payed, but it wasn't much and their were no corporate sponsors. Those were the days. And very heady times.

Oh - they were great that night, Joni and the boys. I think we music lovers were born at a great time in history. I hope my kids, now teenagers, will be able to say the same thing.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

earlier...

Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective - The Best Of The Buffalo Springfield
    (1969, Atco) early 1970s reissue; SD 38-105

also pictured on the right side is a still sealed copy of the same SD 38-105 reissue that I picked up at a thrift a few years ago. I wonder how short-lived was the label used by Atco for this issue? I don't see it often.

now...

J. Geils Band - The Morning After
    (1971, Atlantic) Promo/NFS

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I don't have that album, I don't know how I missed it. The only time I was at the Auditorium Stills was there then too. The venue was newly restored to its original (perfect) acoustics, a product of Louis Sullivan's engineer partner Adler. The place had been an abandoned wreck for years. It would still be difficult to find a better sounding place to hear music.

It was CSN&Y and it was the first time they had played in public. Joni Mitchel opened. The next day they played their second gig - Woodstock! I don't remember what I payed, but it wasn't much and their were no corporate sponsors. Those were the days. And very heady times.

Oh - they were great that night, Joni and the boys. I think we music lovers were born at a great time in history. I hope my kids, now teenagers, will be able to say the same thing.
    Great story, that Auditorium must have been a nice venue in 1969. Heady times for sure.

You've seen this clip of Joni, Grace Slick, CSNY, and others from the Airplane on The Dick Cavett Show the day after Woodstock?

Stephen Stills showing off mud on his jeans from Woodstock. Joni mentions that they played in Chicago on Saturday night (that show you saw), and on Sunday "the boys" went to Woodstock.

I had seen that clip years ago but forgot about it. Thanks! There is a second clip of him performing "Four and Twenty." Sometimes I forget that Stills is a monstrous talent and think he is just an astonishing talent. Next to Neil Young, he still shines too and that is the highest compliment I can pay a musician. I saw them together once before in Buffalo Springfield; I wish I had caught more CSN&Y concerts. The brass ring for me would have been to see the Tonight's The Night band out somewhere. But I have never been to California and those gigs were low key and stealthy. My chances of talking to Garbo would have been better.

Stills being nearly destroyed by drugs is one of the most depressing events in music history, as far as I am concerned.

You've read Shakey, right?
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Kenny Burrell - Tin Tin Deo
    (1977, Concord)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Stills being nearly destroyed by drugs is one of the most depressing events in music history, as far as I am concerned.

You've read Shakey, right?
    Sad, but looking back it's amazing how much he accomplished in the 60s and early 70s BEFORE he was 25 years old. in the middle of those times, losing Jimi Hendrix who I have read he was close to, plus having money and rockroll fame poured on him. I have never finished Shakey, that's a good reminder to pick it back up, thanks.

John McLaughlin - My Goals Beyond
    (1971, Douglas) 1976 reissue on Douglas Casablanca; mastering by Allen Zentz

side 1 is solo acoustic; side 2 is two tracks Peace One and Peace Two with tabla, tambura, flute, violin, sax, plus Charlie Haden, bass; Airto Moreira, percussion; Billy Cobham, drums

Thread Information