Page 2 of 721 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

Obsolete
    "On the Mac, I am a real non-fan of Nicks. Awful, IMO."

The goat lady of rock and roll doesn't float your boat eh?

Yeah when I heard Christine wasn't in the latest line-up I lost complete interest.

I didn't realize she wasn't on the last one and I miss her. The Goat Lady???

Rob

Obsolete
    You've never heard Stevie referred to as the goat lady of rock and roll?

I think it has to do with how she bleats through songs... DJ's use the reference on the radio occassionally. I can handle her in moderation.

Originally posted by Giskard
    Yeah when I heard Christine wasn't in the latest line-up I lost complete interest.
    Bingo. Exactly. I'm anxious to hear her recent solo release.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"You've never heard Stevie referred to as the goat lady of rock and roll?"

Nah ah ah ah hh I don't get out much!

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 07-29-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Good DVD's for Classic Rock Taste

I can offer some input here since I have built up quite a concert DVD collection.

SRV - Get "Live at the ElMocambo". It's a much better DVD than the collection of Austin City Limits episodes on that other one. I have both.

Santana "Supernatural" - my first concert DVD and still one of my faves. Has DTS sound and the mix is spectacular. Great video and very high quality.

Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" - another super-sounding DTS DVD. Hate the cut though, as they mix interviews after each song instead of making it an extra to view later. Keep the remote handy and you'll be fine (click next track after every song to skip the interviews).

Clapton "One More Car...One More Rider" - filmed on the 2001 tour this is my new favorite. The DTS sound is amazing and his band - fuggaboutit. Steve Gadd, Billy Preston, David Sanicious, etc. Even if you don't like Clapton you'll find something to like here. Almost half the tunes are blues standards.

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" - this was one of the first concert DVD's out and it's still a reference by which others are judged.
    DTS sound is suberb.

Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" - A great show and another great DTS soundtrack, but to be honest he overdubbed a lot of the show so it's not a true representation of what it really sounded like. This is the wive's fave...

Elton John "Greatist Hits Live" - I was perpared to be underwhelmed by this show but really ended up loving it. He has lots of special guests and the DTS sound - really, really, really good. This is my "Bass Test DVD". Play Rocket Man really loud and get ready for the notes near the end of the song. I'd like someone to tell me just how low they are - it sounds like it might be less than 20hz.

Pink Floyd "Pulse" - OK this one is really a bootleg (but a damn good one) you can get off ebay. Since the PF guys won't GET OFF THEIR ASS and release Pulse or Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD, this is the best we have for now. It's only Dolby Digital and yes the video is a little iffy in places, but it's a KILLER show and the one my friend's request most often. If you're a floyd fan, you need this DVD.

Talking Heads - "Stop Making Sense" - they did a great job making this DVD. It's the only DVD I know of that has two different 5.1 mixes - one"soundboard" and one "audience".
    Watch it both ways and you get a totally different experience.

That's probably enough to fill your shopping carts for now. Message me if you want more recommendations...

jblnut

Obsolete
    Excellent! Thanks for the list jblnut

I've got the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and Elton John "Greatest Hits Live" and really like both so I will definitely start collecting the rest on your list.

I screwed up on the Stevie Ray DVD, I don't have the one that Giskard showed. The one that I have and like is "Live at the Mocambo"
    Let me add one selection to the good DVD list, John Mayall's 70th birthday concert. I really like that one.
    Last edited by Don C; 07-29-2004 at 05:37 PM.

jontherev

Mule

A superb dvd is Gov't Mule's "The Deepest End". What a concert that was...I was there! In case you don't know who Warren Haynes is, he's currently one of two lead guitarists plus a songwriter/singer of the Dead AND the Allman Brothers. Nice resume`! Also, that new Allman dvd is smokin'. Derek Trucks is probably the greatest slide guitarist ever imo. Also, I 2nd the El Mocambo suggestion, though I only own the video.

As for what's playing right now...Martin Sexton's 'Live Wide Open' (just a cd, no dvd).

Mule and Warren Haynes

If you like that, you simply must get "Deepest End". A wonderful concert, production and recording wherer Government Mule memorilizes their original bassist, Allen Woody.

From the mule.net website:

By now, the word has spread about Gov't Mule. The group's incessant nature along with its visceral blues and jazz-based attack has garnered one of rock's most loyal followings. Comprised of original members Warren Haynes (guitar, vocals) and Matt Abts (drums) along with keyboardist Danny Louis (joined the April 2002) and bassist Andy Hess (joined the band September 2003), the group continues to blow minds, while breaking new musical ground.

This past May, Gov't Mule staged a truly historic event in New Orleans. On May 3rd, some of the planet's most legendary musicians assembled at the Saenger Theater for The Deepest End concert, which served as a tribute to original bassist Allen Woody, who passed away in August of 2000. The show featured countless special guests, many of whom appear on the band's two recent albums The Deep End Volume 1 & Volume 2. Over the course of the six-hour marathon concert, collaborators included everyone from Jason Newsted (Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne) to Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane) to Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck & The Flecktones) to Les Claypool (Primus, Frog Brigade).

"It was one of the most amazing nights of music that I've ever been a part of or witnessed," says Haynes. "Technically, I think it came off about as good as it possibly could. We were all flying by the seat of our pants. We were coordinating all these different musicians who had all these places to be and other schedules and shows. I can¹t imagine it running much smoother. I kind of felt like the whole night there was this big wave of energy and I was just being dragged along by it."

"There's no pretending in Gov't Mule," says Newsted. "The music that Warren Haynes and Matt Abts and Allen Woody made together is a certain form of blueprint for a style of music that really is an original and unique formula. When you have that type of chemistry and one of the people is taken away, that's never gonna go away and it takes 25 of the greatest bass players to fill his shoes, but they're still not filled. It just speaks huge amounts for the respect that these guys have for him. He's looking down right now and going, "Holy crap!" He probably never would have imagined that he would have gotten so much respect."

Jaws dropped around the globe as the set list circulated on the internet, but there is hope for those who missed the star-studded six-hour gala. The magic was documented on one DVD and two CD's, which has been packaged together as The Deepest End, and released, Tuesday, October 7, on ATO Records.

"On a night like this, it's fun because there's no real time to rehearse so it gives you an extra adrenaline boost," said Victor Wooten. "When you have to improvise like that, most of the time you end up playing some of your best things because you don't get to work on it."

The band's most recent albums, The Deep End Volume 1 and Volume 2, honor Woody in a unique way. Instead of making a traditional tribute record, Haynes and Abts invited many of Woody¹s heroes to appear on the records and play almost entirely new material. The response was overwhelming. Volume 1 features guests such as Gregg Allman (Allman Brothers Band), Jack Bruce (Cream), Bootsy Collins (P-Funk), John Entwistle (The Who), Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band) to name a few.

Because nearly everyone on Gov't Mule's "wish list" was interested in participating in the project, it became clear that all of this talent would not fit on one disc. Thus Volume 2 was released and features an equally impressive roster of players: Chris Squire (Yes), Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel), Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power), John Scofield, David Grisman and Billy Cox (Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys). All of the recording sessions were filmed by Phish bassist Mike Gordon for inclusion in his documentary, Rising Low. The movie serves as both a tribute to Woody and a behind-the-scenes look at the powerful recording sessions.

Meanwhile, Mule continued its relentless touring schedule, welcoming a range of guest bassists on the road. Oteil Burbridge (Allman Brothers Band), Dave Schools (Widespread Panic), George Porter Jr. (The Meters) , Greg Rzab (Jimmy Page, Buddy Guy), as well as Jason Newsted and the talented Andy Hess (The Black Crowes, Joan Osborne, John Scofield), all played several dates with the band over the last two years. The fan base grew exponentially during this period, as diehards traded live recordings of the group and discussed musical minutia on the "E-MULE" listserve. There was so much support for the band that its anthem "Soulshine" was voted Song of the Year at the 2002 Jammys.

Gov¹t Mule's funk number, "Sco-Mule," which features guitarist John Scofield, was nominated for a Grammy Award in early 2003. Haynes of course is no stranger to the Grammy's, he has accepted an award with the Allman Brothers Band in 1995 for the live version of "Jessica" (the band was also nominated for three other Grammy's). Since rejoining the ABB in 2001, Warren has reinvigorated the group yet again. Along with Gregg Allman, Haynes wrote the material for the heralded new album, Hittin' the Note, which band members and critics alike are calling the best release since 1972's epic Eat A Peach. Haynes co-produced the album with Michael Barbiero (Guns & Roses, Blues Traveler).

The Mule formed in 1994 when Haynes and bassist Allen Woody were touring as members of the Allman Brothers Band and wanted another creative outlet. After joining forces with Abts, the trio immediately noticed an intense chemistry and began touring relentlessly. Haynes estimates that the band played upwards of seven hundred shows in just a few years. "We just bonded completely," recalls Warren. "Musically and personally we became an entity. Gov't Mule did so many shows in such a short period of time, at least six or seven hundred. We shared hotel rooms, tour buses, our whole world, our whole life."

Gov't Mule will announce a new permanent bassist in September and will move into a new phase of its illustrious career. The Deepest End concert in New Orleans signified the end of the rotating bass status for the band and closure for the Deep End project that celebrated Woody's life. But no one had any idea it would be as historic and legendary as it turned out.

"We were just on a mission at the Saenger," said Matt Abts. We got a killer performance. We opened the show with "Bad Little Doggie" and it just kicked ass. I think some of the songs are definitive versions. I thought "Lay of the Sunflower" beat the record, totally. The "Voodoo Chile" with Jack Casady and Ivan Neville was killer."

"Matt had his work cut out for him," adds Warren. "There were fourteen bass players and each new bass player that steps on stage, the drummer has to readapt to a new chemistry, a new pocket that's being created between the bass player and the drummer. You're talking about someone who is one of my all time favorite drummers, so my expectation level of Matt is really high anyway. For him to go above and beyond that was amazing. I don¹t know where he gets the energy and the focus to do that."

One source of inspiration is likely Haynes, who is a rare breed. Very few musicians in history have been so well-rounded that they are guitar virtuosos, powerful vocalists and gifted songwriters. Similar to predecessors such as Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, Warren is at the forefront of today's musical trailblazers.

"People turn out for Warren because everyone has absolute confidence that if he is involved, the music is going to be great," says Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio, who has performed alongside Warren on many occasions. "He is the only player of our generation who has his history completely together; and it is clear the minute you play with him. He is just the sickest guitarist and the most together guy you can share a stage with."

This fall, the group embark on its Rebirth of The Mule Tour, which will welcome special guests Chris Robinson and New Earth Mud for a national tour to support The Deepest End. Plans are already underway for a three-night New Year's run at The Beacon Theater in New York City, December 29-31.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jontherev

Mule and Warren Haynes

IMHO, Gov't Mule during the years when Allen Woody was alive was the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin...actually better than LZ. With the new lineup, they still outclass most other acts, but the magic in that original trio was something otherworldly. It took two people to just TRY to replace Allen.

Allman Brothers Live at the Beacon Theatre (2003) is the name of the dvd I couldn't think of before. They are sans Dickey, but they sound as good now as they did in the early years. Also, their new album Hittin' the Note, like Gregg himself said, is indeed the best album they've put out since Eat a Peach. Of course, IMHO.

DVD,s

For about 13.00 dollars at best buy you can not go wrong with a copy of Roger Waters "in the flesh-live" Fantastic sound and the video looks like you are there,plus this concert is over 2 hours and he covers all the pink floyd hits as well as his top solo work.

Re: Corrs...

Originally posted by boputnam
    On the Mac, I am a real non-fan of Nicks. Awful, IMO. Conversely, I find McVie to have one of the most hauntingly interesting voices around. She ain't bad on the B3, either. Her ex on Bass is classic, and Fleetwood's Kit has always been remarkable. I've seen that live DVD on the tele and it is quite good - only too much focus on the gypsy lead singer for me. Give me more Christine McVie anyday... http://www.christinemcvie.com/

Ah, Bo, words I have spoken so many times before that really pissed off many of my friends. I can really appreciate Nicks' song writing (if she gets off the whirly witch thing) but I can not take that nasally-groan singing style. But she had the looks, right?

I have seen F/M once live (way back now about 1978). One fabulously tight band. Fleetwood and McVie have to be one of the best, if not the best, rythmn sections around. Buckingham draws your attention with his intensity, both in is songs and performance. Christine brings balance to this intensity. Eh! Then there is Nicks swirling around acting alluring and mystical, who knows what for.

Saw this show on PBS and it is a fine performance.

David F
    Last edited by DavidF; 08-13-2004 at 03:06 PM.

I feel the same way...about Waters

My friends and I have the same kind of arguments over PF. I have seen them on both the Delicate Sound and Division Bell tours, and have this to say - G'bye Roger, I don't miss you. He's a head case that thought he was "the band" and is mostly resonsible for the contractual cock-up that has kept most of their DVD material from making it into print. I don't miss his dark and twisted material (the best songs on The Wall were Gilmour tunes) and he was *easily* replaced (and surpassed) as a bass-player and singer.

That said I don't doubt his solo DVD is probably pretty good. I just don't (and won't) support him after the mess he made of what is perhaps the best band you will ever see live.

To bring this back into something JBL related, I believe PF's last several touring rigs have featured JBL sound. You haven't lived until you've heard Gilmour work his magic through a sound system this good. It's absolutely unreal to hear the tone he gets in a stadium.

Damn I hope they tour one more time !!!! I need to kick everyone out of the house and crank up the Delicate Sound Laser Disc again.....

jblnut

Just got copies of "Live at the Mocambo" and the One More car One More Rider DVD's.

Both are great.

Ian

Thread Information