Page 195 of 721 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295695 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Alexander Spence - Oar
    (1969, Columbia)

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Alexander Spence - Oar
    (1969, Columbia)
    I have to ask. What was it like to listen to it again?
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Pentangle - Reflection
    (1971, Reprise)

Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Jacqui McShee, Terry Cox, Danny Thompson.

yesterday was spinning "BeeGee's Gold" ....expected cheesy crap , but ended up giving repeats...they are kinda sincere (in a hokey way ...) , but today its...

"This 10-CD set contains all nine Led Zeppelin studio albums as originally sequenced"--

Contents
    Disc 1, Led Zeppelin. Good times, bad times ; Babe, I'm gonna leave you ; You shook me ; Dazed and confused ; Your time is gonna come ; Black mountain side ; Communication breakdown ; I can't quit you, baby ; How many more times.

Disc 2, Led Zeppelin II. Whole lotta love ; What is and what should never be ; The lemon song ; Thank you ; Heartbreaker ; Living, loving maid (She's just a woman) ; Ramble on ; Moby Dick ; Bring it on home.

Disc 3, Led Zeppelin III. Immigrant song ; Friends ; Celebration day ; Since I've been loving you ; Out on the tiles ; Gallows pole ; Tangerine ; That's the way ; Bron-y-aur stomp ; Hats off to (Roy) Harper.

Disc 4, Zoso. Black dog ; Rock and roll ; The battle of evermore ; Stairway to heaven ; Misty mountain hop; Four sticks ; Going to California ; When the levee breaks.

Disc 5, -- Houses of the holy. The song remains the same ; The rain song ; Over the hills and far away ; The crunge ; Dancing days ; D'yer mak'er ; No quarter ; The ocean.

Disc 6, Presence. Achilles last stand ; For your life ; Royal Orleans ; Nobody's fault but mine ; Candy store rock ; Hots on for nowhere ; Tea for one.

Disc 7, Physical graffiti, Disc 1. Custard pie ; The rover ; In my time of dying ; Houses of the holy ; Trampled under foot ; Kashmir.

Disc 8, Physical graffiti, Disc 2. In the light ; Bron-yr-aur ; Down by the seaside ; Ten years gone ; Night flight ; The wanton song ; Boogie with Stu ; Black country woman ; Sick again.

Disc 9, In through the out door. In the evening ; South bound Saurez ; Fool in the rain ; Hot dog ; Carouselambra ; All my love ; I'm gonna crawl.

Disc 10, Coda. We're gonna groove ; Poor Tom ; I can't quit you, baby ; Walter's walk ; Ozone baby ; Darlene ; Bonzo's Montreux ; Wearing and tearing ; bonus tracks: Baby come on home ; Travelling Riverside blues ; White summer/Black mountain side ; Hey, hey, what can I do.

that LZ1 (disk 1) is almost a Greatest Hits disc....WOW (that one belongs on my DID list)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off
    (1966, RCA Victor)

with Skip Spence on drums.

Atomic Rooster - Made In England
    (1972, Elektra)

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - self titled
    (1968, Track/Atlantic)

w/ Vincent Crane, he went on to form Atomic Rooster. Crane co-wrote the hit "Fire" with Arthur Brown and he wrote several songs here.

Skip Spence - Oar

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I have to ask. What was it like to listen to it again?
    Sorry, didn't see your post until now. The material is haunting to listen to, as always. I think it would stand out, even without knowing his fragile mental state at the time of the recording. I listened with a new MC cartridge (Benz Ace) on Carver Amazing speakers so it was very striking - I really noticed the cooking guitar playing on "War In Peace" and the observations and perspective in the lyrics, for example in "Weighted Down".

I hear that a recent CD issue includes Bonus Tracks - sounds like that's a must-have to hear what else he was cooking in that studio.

Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox
    (1976, Mercury) MASTERDISK RL; mastered by Robert Ludwig at Masterdisk

7th record from the hard rock band formed in Dublin, Ireland in 1969. This is genuine rock with lots of musical influences, setting it apart from a lot of the hard/metal shiite that started to surface in the mid-70s.

Judy at Carnegie Hall
    - Judy Garland
    Capitol/EMI, 2000 (24-Bit Digitally Remastered 40th Anniversary Edition)

Name:  Judy Garland.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  55.3 KB

Kingfish - self titled
    (1976, Round Records)

debut record. Lineup for this record includes Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead who was a Kingfish member from 1974-76 during a hiatus in the Dead's touring. also includes Matthew Kelly who played on the Dead's Wake Of The Flood, and Dave Torbert who was bass player for New Riders Of The Purple Sage.

Grand Funk Railroad - Phoenix
    (1972, Capitol) STERLING LH in the deadwax; mastered by Lee Hulko at Sterling Sound, NYC

7th record from the hard rock band out of Flint, MI, and the first self-produced. w/ Doug Kershaw on electric fiddle. At this point with several gold albums released, looks like Capitol let them have a custom record label.

Little Feat - self titled
    (1971, Warner Bros) Artisan symbol in the deadwax; 1973 pressing w/ Palm trees label

debut record from the LA band formed in 1969, they got their start on the label with help from Frank Zappa - Lowell George had played with Zappa previously. Ry Cooder plays slide guitar on a couple of songs here. From wikipedia:

When "Willin'" was recorded for the Little Feat album, George hurt his hand in an accident with a model airplane, so Ry Cooder sat in and played the song's slide part.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Grand Funk Railroad -

7th record from the hard rock band out of Flint, MI, and the first self-produced. w/ Doug Kershaw on electric fiddle. At this point with several gold albums released, looks like Capitol let them have a custom record label.
    Funny about GFR ....most of their stuff is dreck , BUT .... I always seem to have a copy of
    "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home) " on each of my pods & anthologies.

Thot it just related to my Navy adventures until I read this....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Y...ser_to_Home%29

The song conveys the pleas of a captain on a troubled sea voyage and facing a mutiny from his crew. Its use of an orchestra during the long repeated refrains of the closing movement served to differentiate it from much of Grand Funk's work. Several interpretations of the song have been given; most revolve around the Vietnam War, and "I'm Your Captain" is popular among veterans of that conflict. The record was a modest hit single when first released, but achieved greater airplay on progressive rock radio stations. It has become a classic rock staple and has appeared on several audience-selected lists as one of the best rock songs of all time.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Donovan - 7-Tease
    (1974, Epic) Promo/NFS

recorded in Nashville with Kenny Buttrey, Norbert Putnam, Buffy Sainte-Marie. Lots of studio production here by Norbert Putnam, with layered electric and acoustic guitar, keyboards, strings, horns. I have hesistated listening to this because frankly I think Donovan was done by about 1969, but this is an interesting record - it was intended to be developed into a stage production - no longer the starry eyed hurdy gurdy man, it's a critical mid 70s observation by Donovan of what just happened in the 60s and into disillusioned 70s. from AllMusic:

Listening to it 30 years after the fact is an eerie experience, vividly evoking the feelings of uncertainty surrounding the period in which it was made (and for those too young to know, the early to mid-'70s saw the self-destruction and resignation of a U.S. president, crippling oil boycotts affecting daily life in America, and serious political and social strife on every continent except Antarctica) -- all wrapped up in songs that were achingly beautiful, piercing in their directness, and generally as clever as any music of its era.

Grand Funk Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Funny about GFR ....most of their stuff is dreck , BUT .... I always seem to have a copy of
    "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home) " on each of my pods & anthologies.

Thot it just related to my Navy adventures until I read this....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Y...ser_to_Home%29

The song conveys the pleas of a captain on a troubled sea voyage and facing a mutiny from his crew. Its use of an orchestra during the long repeated refrains of the closing movement served to differentiate it from much of Grand Funk's work. Several interpretations of the song have been given; most revolve around the Vietnam War, and "I'm Your Captain" is popular among veterans of that conflict. The record was a modest hit single when first released, but achieved greater airplay on progressive rock radio stations. It has become a classic rock staple and has appeared on several audience-selected lists as one of the best rock songs of all time.
    interesting background on that song. I agree that the GFR catalog is mixed but it's entertaining. We're an American Band is a lot of fun and the production is outstanding (Todd Rundgren producer).

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Fire & Fleet & Candlelight
    (1967, Vanguard)

includes a really wonderful fast-paced arrangement of Joni Mitchell's Circle Game with a full rock band consisting of Bruce Langhorne on electric guitar, Alexis Rogers on drums and Russ Savakus on bass, plus orchestra arranged by Peter Schickele, the PDQ Bach guy. also a cover of Joni's Song To A Seagull plus lots of her own folk compositions - including "97 Men in This Here Town Would Give a Half a Grand in Silver Just to Follow Me Down"

Thread Information