Page 194 of 721 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294694 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

been catching up with Dionne Warwick, Connie Francis & Glen Yarlboro , but that shud change after the 30th...gonna make the trip to Eugene..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Grateful Dead - From Mars Hotel
    (1974, Grateful Dead Records) Mastered by George Horn

7th studio album from the Dead. interesting trivia from wikipedia:
    When held upside down in front of a mirror, the graphic on the front of the album cover appears to say "Ugly Rumors". This inspired the name of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair's band, Ugly Rumours

Eugene Record Show

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    been catching up with Dionne Warwick, Connie Francis & Glen Yarlboro , but that shud change after the 30th...gonna make the trip to Eugene..
    I am jealous. That's supposed to be one of the best record shows on the west coast. Wish I could make it but the 6 hours of driving to do a roundtrip Seattle to Portland is definitely my limit either driving or riding shotgun. I think the run to Eugene would tack on another 4 hours of roundtrip. And it doesn't help that most of the length of the Interstate is deadly boring, compared to most highways in WA or OR.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Grateful Dead - Wake Of The Flood
    (1973, Grateful Dead Records) TLC 10-6-73 in the deadwax

6th studio album, 3 years since American Beauty had been released, and the first without Pigpen.

The Turtles - The Turtles Greatest Hits
    (1982, Rhino) PRECISION SM / "Westchester High" / "Solid Zing" in the deadwax side 1/2; mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Precision Lacquer

a nice compilation of hits starting with their 1965 cover of Dylan's It Ain't Me Babe.

Record show grabs

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Is there anything that you've long lusted for (records..think records) that could possibly be in dollar boxes ??? (thats my main hangout ,,,, unless things get sparse and I'm forced into the $2 boxes) ...if so, I dont mind grabbing for you ...heck, my paws will be sore anyway..
    Thanks for the offer, the mind reels with visions of Columbia 6-eye jazz LPs and obscure 60s psychedelic rock, or tasty stuff like The Soft Machine or The Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace Of Sin, but then reality sinks in. If I think of anything specific that has a chance of being in the buck boxes, I'll shoot you a PM.

John and Beverly Martyn - Stormbringer!
    (1970, Reprise) NFS/Promo

folk rock, recorded summer 1969 in Woodstock, NY. w/ Levon Helm.

Flying Burrito Brothers - self titled
    (1971, A&M) Artisan symbol in the deadwax

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
    (1968, Columbia) 1971 orange label pressing

after listening to the Flying Burrito Brothers last night, more from several of the same fellows. with John Hartford - banjo, fiddle, acoustic guitar. Gram Parson's one LP as a member of the Byrds. Recorded in Nashville and LA.

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
    (1969, Columbia)

w/ Kenny Buttrey, Norman Blake, Johnny Cash. fun story from Kenny Buttrey about Lay Lady Lay from the wikipedia article on the album:

"Sometimes... I go to the artist and say, 'What do you hear on the drums?' Because sometimes when people write songs they can hear it completed, they hear everything they think's gonna be on it", says drummer Ken Buttrey. "I went over to Dylan and said, 'I'm having a little trouble thinking of something to play. Do you have any ideas on ['Lay Lady Lay']?'... He said, 'Bongos'... I immediately disregarded that, I couldn't hear bongos in this thing at all... So I walked into the control room and said, 'Bob [Johnston], what do you hear as regards [to] drums on this thing?'... [He] said, 'Cowbells.'... Kris Kristofferson was working at Columbia Studios at the time as a janitor and he had just emptied my ashtray at the drums and I said, 'Kris, do me a favor, here, hold these two things... hold these bongos in one hand and the cowbells in the other,' and I swung this mike over to the cowbells and the bongos... I had no pattern or anything worked out. I just told Kris, 'This is one of those spite deals. I'm gonna show 'em how bad their ideas're gonna sound.'... We started playing the tune and I was just doodling around on these bongos and the cowbells and it was kinda working out pretty cool... Come chorus time I'd go to the set of drums. Next time you hear that [cut], listen how far off-mike the drums sound. There were no mikes on the drums, it was just leakage... But it worked out pretty good... To this day it's one of the best drum patterns I ever came up with."

Jimi Hendrix - West Coast Seattle Boy / The Jimi Hendrix Anthology
    (2010, Experience Hendrix) STERLING RJ in the deadwax; mastered by Ray Janos, Sterling Sound

The Doobie Brothers - self titled
    (1971, Warner Bros)

debut record, compared by one critic to Moby Grape. fair enough for this record, and the back cover includes a Special Thanks to Skip Spence.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Doobie Brothers - self titled
    (1971, Warner Bros)

debut record, compared by one critic to Moby Grape. fair enough for this record, and the back cover includes a Special Thanks to Skip Spence.
    Skip Spence's Oar is one of the most compelling recordings I have ever heard. I still have the original vinyl. I have never been able to get "Books of Moses" or "Weighted Down " out of my head completely. Even when I would not play it for ten years, they kept going through my head - involuntarily. I seem to remember that Oar sold less than five thousand copies originally. There are reissues with new material, but this old copy seems to be asking $200 these days. I could use the money, but I'll keep it.

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Name:  ChrisHillman_hr-731x1024.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  213.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
    (1968, Columbia) 1971 orange label pressing

after listening to the Flying Burrito Brothers last night, more from several of the same fellows. with John Hartford - banjo, fiddle, acoustic guitar. Gram Parson's one LP as a member of the Byrds. Recorded in Nashville and LA.
    This album is sacred! Too bad Chris Hillman gets lost in all the talk about Parsons. Let's see some of the bands he was in...The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Bros, Manassas, The Souther-Hillman-Furray Band, sessions with Gene Clark (the greatest...), Poco, Dillard & Clark, lead the Dessert Rose Band, cut records with Tony Rice....

My Lord! IMHO, the only band with as much talent as the Byrds was Buffalo Springfield. One of the many times I saw The Byrds was in a big Chicago club after Sweetheart came out. After playing a lot of country music (country rock, newgrass, whatever), Roger Mcguinn told the audience, which was getting testy to hear old Byrds hits, "For you who are tired of country music, here is some more of it." This was a while after he said, like a robot, in response to shouted requests, "I am not a computer. I can not be programmed." Parsons was gone and Chris had brought in Clarence White, and I am quite sure I saw God. What a great night.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The Rolling Stones - More Hot Rocks (big hits & fazed cookies)
    (1972, London) STERLING LH in the deadwax; mastered by Lee Hulko at Sterling Sound

Listening to side 3 which is true stereo; sides 1 & 4 are fake stereo/re-channeled. includes "Child Of The Moon" which was recorded in March 1968 during early Beggars Banquet sessions but more of a Satanic Majesties type of song, never released on an album, it was a B-side on the Jumping Jack Flash single. the Stones did a Promo video[/URL] of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Skip Spence's Oar is one of the most compelling recordings I have ever heard. I still have the original vinyl. I have never been able to get "Books of Moses" or "Weighted Down " out of my head completely. Even when I would not play it for ten years, they kept going through my head - involuntarily. I seem to remember that Oar sold less than five thousand copies originally. There are reissues with new material, but this old copy seems to be asking $200 these days. I could use the money, but I'll keep it.

Clark
    I have that Oar record too/ I know what you mean - it is a haunting and unforgettable record. Mine was a $1 find at a local garage sale a couple of years ago, yes I wave and salute whenever I drive past their driveway.

I found this on the Skip Spence - Doobie Brothers connection, which I did not know but the interwebs did...

Spence is acknowledged as having been instrumental in the formation of the Doobie Brothers, by way of introducing John Hartman to Tom Johnston, and encouraging their musical development, as well as occasionally sitting in with their pre Doobie Brothers band Pud, though Spence never was an official member.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    This album is sacred! Too bad Chris Hillman gets lost in all the talk about Parsons. Let's see some of the bands he was in...The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Bros, Manassas, The Souther-Hillman-Furray Band, sessions with Gene Clark (the greatest...), Poco, Dillard & Clark....

My God! IMHO, the only band with as much talent as the Byrds was Buffalo Springfield. One of the many times I saw The Byrds was in a big Chicago club after Sweetheart came out. After playing a lot of country music (newgrass, whatever), Roger Mcguinn told the audience, which was getting testy to hear old Byrds hits, "For you who are tired of country music, her is some more of it." This was a while after he said, like a robot, in response to shouted requests, "I am not a computer. I can not be programmed." Clarence White was in this lineup, and I am quite sure I saw God. What a great night.
    Great story... I think I've said before that I would gladly time-travel back to the 60's to see a few sets by these guys.

Thread Information