Page 193 of 721 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293693 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Hank Crawford - Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
    (1974, KUDU) Promo/NFS; VAN GELDER in the deadwax; recorded at Van Gelder studios;

jazz flavored R&B. with Ron Carter, bass; Hugh McCracken, guitar - he was the session guitarist who played on McCartney's Ram, played with Steely Dan, Paul Simon, others.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Colosseum - The Grass Is Greener
    (1970, ABC Dunhill) NFS/Promo

Progressive rock band formed in the UK in 1968, Colosseum also played the "Super Session" program produced by BBC with Modern Jazz Quartet, Led Zeppelin, Jack Bruce, Roland Kirk Quartet, Eric Clapton, Steve Stills. This is their 3rd album and a North American only release includes tracks released on earlier albums in Europe as well as 4 new tracks including a Jack Bruce song - Rope Ladder To The Moon. Great stuff.

Colosseum - Those Who Are About To Die Salute You
    (1969, ABC Dunhill) Promo/NFS; Monarch symbol in the deadwax

debut album, recorded in fall 1968, released on the Fontana label in Europe and Dunhill in the US with a different track list and different cover.

Savoy Brown - Getting To The Point
    (1968, Parrot) Bell Sound SF in deadwax; mastered by Sam Feldman, Bell Sound Studios

2nd record from the British blues rock group. A very nice sounding Bell Sound - Sam Feldman pressing.

Savoy Brown - Blue Matter
    (1969, Parrot) Bell Sound in the deadwax

Louisiana Blues, 9:03 on side 2 really cooks, great electric guitar; along with the rest of side 2 - recorded live at the Leicester College of Education, Scraptoft, Leicester on 12/06/1968.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Goes To Junior College
    (1957, Columbia) CL 1034 Mono pressing

recorded at Fullerton and Long Beach Junior colleges. I picked up this nice copy for a couple of bucks during the HPB post-Christmas sale.

Eddie Harris - Cool Sax, Warm Heart
    (1964, Columbia) Demonstration/NFS stamped on back cover

Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna
    (1969, Parrot)

They stretch into jazz with horns added here, but still straight-ahead blues rock. a nice gatefold cover, the artwork continues on the inner gatefold.

Savoy Brown - Boogie Brothers
    (1974, London) STERLING in the deadwax

a later incarnation of SB around Kim Simmonds, with Stan Webb - ex-Chicken Shack, and former Keef Hartley-member Miller Anderson matching Simonds with blistering guitar licks.

Patrick Moraz - Story Of i
    (1975, Atlantic) ARUN in the deadwax; mastered by Arun Chakraverty

progressive rock from the Yes keyboard player. All the Yes band members did solo albums in 1975, and this is a tasty one. Moraz mixes latin and rock rhythms together with his keyboard work. The album concept is around a mysterious tower in a jungle that lures people to enter. According to wikipedia, the idea came while Jon Anderson and Moraz were on tour with Yes - they saw an old massive tower. They started to think what was inside the tower and invented many theories.

Fleetwood Mac - Penguin
    (1973, Reprise) Canadian pressing

The first album after Danny Kirwan left, and in the Bob Welch period. The best tracks here for me are, as always, from Christine McVie.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Fleetwood Mac - Penguin
    (1973, Reprise) Canadian pressing

The first album after Danny Kirwan left, and in the Bob Welch period. The best tracks here for me are, as always, from Christine McVie.
    The first track is a favorite of mine. "Remember Me" features a tingling slide riff by the briefly employed Bob Weston. Too bad he was sleeping with Mick Fleetwood's wife; I wanted to hear more from him with this band.

I very much like all the FM output up to the Buckingham-Nicks era, so this "middle period" work is fine with me. Middle as in after Peter Green and before the hitmaking group. After that, Time with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlet floats my boat. Any band that had Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Dave Mason pass through it goes straight to the to top with me. The Kiln House band of Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Kirwan & Spencer walked on water too. I can't contemplate the Peter Green era without tears of joy.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Mott The Hoople - Wildlife
    (1971, Atlantic)

most tracks recorded at Island studios London Nov/Dec 1970. The band name was picked out by producer Guy Stevens - after a 1966 novel by Willard Manus about an eccentric who works in a circus freak show. I spotted this record at the local HPB this afternoon, another hole in the MTH collection filled.

Pentangle - Cruel Sister
    (1970, Reprise) Canadian pressing

British folk rock, wonderful versions of traditional songs here. Wonderful vocals from Jacqui McShee. The stunning album production is noted in a wikipedia article as an "uncluttered" sound with each instrument clearly placed in the mix and, despite its use of a range of instruments, including electric guitars, it maintains a clarity and simplicity, appropriate for the material.

Atomic Rooster - In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster
    (1971, Elektra)

3rd album from this British progressive rock group.

Fleetwood Mac - pre BuckinghamNicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The first track is a favorite of mine. "Remember Me" features a tingling slide riff by the briefly employed Bob Weston. Too bad he was sleeping with Mick Fleetwood's wife; I wanted to hear more from him with this band.

I very much like all the FM output up to the Buckingham-Nicks era, so this "middle period" work is fine with me. Middle as in after Peter Green and before the hitmaking group. After that, Time with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlet floats my boat. Any band that had Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Dave Mason pass through it goes straight to the to top with me. The Kiln House band of Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Kirwan & Spencer walked on water too. I can't contemplate the Peter Green era without tears of joy.

Clark
    ...just catching up with this post on the Penguin LP. I agree, the first track from Christine McVie - "Remember Me" is a great listen. I didn't know that backstory on Weston, how could they keep track of who was sleeping with who in those days? :P ...so that explains his short FM tenure...

Thread Information