Page 192 of 721 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292692 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Sandy Posey - Featuring "I Take It Back"
    (1967, MGM)

The nashville sound here with big twangy guitars, a rich sound, and sweet vocalist out of Alabama.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Jeff Beck - There And Back
    (1980, Epic) Canadian pressing

recorded in London. Jan Hammer on the first three tracks.

Debut eponymous 1978 release from this short-lived British progressive rock supergroup. U.K. was formed from the ashes of King Crimson and featured John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth and Eddie Jobson. Main single, "In the Dead of Night" received modest airplay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Klaatu - self titled
    (1976, Capitol)

The first album by the Canadian group, titled 3:47 EST but retitled for US release because Capitol execs felt it was too obscure. Sales were boosted by rumours that this Beatlesque psychedelic rock (in the style of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour), was actually a project of the secretly reunited Beatles.

UK

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    Debut eponymous 1978 release from this short-lived British progressive rock supergroup. U.K. was formed from the ashes of King Crimson and featured John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth and Eddie Jobson. Main single, "In the Dead of Night" received modest airplay.
    Aha, I recognize John Wetton from his bass playing on Uriah Heep's Return To Fantasy (listened to it yesterday). Interesting to place him here.

thanks for the picture. Nice record player!!

So yesterday had a wind chill factor of 15 ..all summer I've been buying cold weather riding gear and decided to "laugh at the cold" and get out on vinyl safari ...glad I did , Dollar Books had just got in some new vinyl ...culled abt 30 , but sorted down to 8 , as they are rather heavy to carry on the bike....

Pretenders is loaded with good stuff ...I like PS , this looked like a special Marley disc , Taj is a classic double and the Moodies ? sure I already have it, but the condition was sooo good and included the book.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
    (1967, Columbia)

I first heard Cohen and several of these songs from the Soundtrack for the 1971 movie, Mcabe and Mrs. Miller. Most songs here are without accompaniment, but I read on wikipedia that the band Kaliedoscope are backing on some of the tracks, like Sisters of Mercy. interesting...Kaliedoscope was David Lindley's band. with the lyric sheet insert.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Best Of The Mahavishnu Orchestra
    (1980, Columbia)

Stealers Wheel - Ferguslie Park
    (1973, A&M) NFS/Promo; mastered by Bob Ludwig, Sterling Sound, NYC

R.I.P. Gerry Rafferty

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
    (1975, Reprise) HELLO WATERFACE / GOODBYE WATERFACE in the deadwax, sides 1/2;

recorded in the summer of 1973, but not released until 1975. "Bruce Berry was a working man/He used to load that Econoline van."

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    (1975, Reprise) HELLO WATERFACE / GOODBYE WATERFACE in the deadwax, sides 1/2;

recorded in the summer of 1973, but not released until 1975. "Bruce Berry was a working man/He used to load that Econoline van."
    My favorite Neil Young record. That coming from one of his biggest fans.

For more spooky going ons, try On The Beach. Bone crushing rock from the same era, Zuma. Neil was sure on a roll in the mid Seventies.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Fairport Convention - Full House
    (1970, A&M)

British traditional folk tunes with a rock interpretation. Great playing and production on this record ...but I miss Sandy Denny's vocals, she had left before this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    My favorite Neil Young record. That coming from one of his biggest fans.

For more spooky going ons, try On The Beach. Bone crushing rock from the same era, Zuma. Neil was sure on a roll in the mid Seventies.
    My favorite Neil *is* On The Beach. That one is underrated, really captured the feeling of things at the time, that post-hippie / watergate / what's next. All great records, but don't stop there in the 70s there's American Stars n Bars and Comes A Time. of course you can't throw a rock with out hitting a great NY album, the guy is a legend.

The Butterfield Blues Band - Keep On Moving
    (1969, Elektra) RL SS in the deadwax; mastered by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound, NYC; 1971 pressing with the Butterfly label

Quite a difference from the earlier Butterfield albums like East-West which were guitar-heavy. This one is driven by the horn-section. This RL mastered pressing sounds really rich and warm, great soundstage.

Ever see Human Highway? I savor the "Hey Hey My My" collaboration with Devo. A bonus for me, both of Devo's six string men are playing Gibson L-6Ss.

I didn't want to go on, but since you are a fellow appreciator I salute you! On The Beach and American Stars & Bars indeed. I am also a fan of the louder Crazy Horse backed efforts, like Ragged Glory.

I consider the fawning over After The Gold Rush and Harvest similar to and as strange as the perception of The Grateful Dead being largely American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Wierd and lightweight, says I. (Speaking of the fans, not the music.)
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits
    (1982, Capitol) 1983 pressing with colorband label; MASTERED BY CAPITOL Wally in the deadwax; mastered by Wally Traugott (R.I.P.) at Capitol Studio & Mastering , Hollywood

compilation of Beatles #1 hits, released to mark the 20th anniversary of The Beatles' first record release, "Love Me Do," in the UK in 1962. wikipedia notes:

a five-minute edited version of "Hey Jude" was used due to time constraints; this edited version dates from 1968 when it was created for use by Capitol Records on the four-inch flexi "Pocket Discs" that were sold in vending machines at that time
    remember those pocket disks? I had the Hey Jude pocket disk back in the day, I also remember having Sky Pilot by The Animals on a pocket disk. Long gone.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Ever see Human Highway? I savor the "Hey Hey My My" collaboration with Devo. A bonus for me, both of Devo's six string men are playing Gibson L-6Ss.

I didn't want to go on, but since you are a fellow appreciator I salute you! On The Beach and American Stars & Bars indeed. I am also a fan of the louder Crazy Horse backed efforts, like Ragged Glory.

I consider the fawning over After The Gold Rush and Harvest similar to and as strange as the perception of The Grateful Dead being largely American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Wierd and lightweight, says I. (Speaking of the fans, not the music.)
    I have seen but not recently, thanks for the reminder to watch that again.

I've seen Neil in performance a few times over the years, he has always been just devasting and monsterous on stage and even playing alongside fellow legends Crosby Stills Nash - he stood out with that guitar playing.

I saw him a couple of years ago on his Fall 2008 tour in Everett, WA, I was wondering if some folks in the crowd knew what they were in for/ expecting to just hear a lot of acoustic folksie stuff.

from the review of that Everett show (Death Cab for Cutie opened):

One of the amazing qualities of a live Neil Young performance is how he seamlessly transitions from the beautiful electric sludge of tunes like "Hey Hey, My My," where his extended solos careen through the auditorium with sounds like a dinosaur moaning in pain from a leg amputation...to the acoustic grace and sentiments of a song like "Old Man."

How can I explain it...Neil Young's sludgy electric brand of rock & roll is the equivalent of a musical axe being swung at your head...and, elated, you can't wait for that blade to chop into your skull...only the blade hasn't been sharpened in awhile, and it has pits and gouges in it...so it just manages to knock off a chunk of your skull...get it? Sure you do.

Concert Review: Neil Young At Comcast Arena, Everett, Washington 10-21-2008 by Glen Boyd:
    "What was most noteworthy about this concert wasn’t just that Neil Young’s “Electric Band” sounded like such a razor sharp machine, but that Neil himself seemed to be having such a good time. This showed through in one of the more intense Neil Young performances I’ve ever seen. There were plenty of great Neil Young songs that were not played – among them “Like A Hurricane,” “Cortez The Killer,” and “Harvest Moon.” With a catalog as vast as Neil Young’s, there is just no way that you’re going to get hit with everything in a single night."

Neil

I too really enjoy NY .....but in short bursts ...he can tend to be a bit whinny, and grates on me with longer exposures.

PBS ran rebroadcasts of the 1969 Johnny Cash TV variety shows...Neil (among some of the Greats of the Time *) played....he seemed intimidated , looked down a lot , came out and played ...with no interaction with the audience and walked off when done ....if I only had that performance to judge him by , I would sum him up as a fine talent with no performance skills..another dead ender.

thankfully he got a little better as time went on...

* It featured many folk-country musicians, such as Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Linda Ronstadt, Kris Kristofferson, Mickey Newbury, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Merle Haggard, James Taylor and Tammy Wynette. It also featured other musicians such as jazz great Louis Armstrong, who died eight months after appearing on the show.

and (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joh...28TV_series%29)

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information