Page 191 of 721 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291691 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

King Crimson - In the Court Of The Crimson King
    (1969, Island) gatefold UK 1st pressing with Pink Island label

More Fripp, This is the iconic debut record from King Crimson. A quiet and nice playing copy that was part of a collection that I picked up a couple of years ago.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus
    (1971, Cotillion)

2nd record from ELP is a progressive rock classic and lots of fun with the 21 minute epic track, Tarkus Suite on side 1.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
    (1970, Atlantic) Mastercraft P.R. / "Do what thou wilt" / "So mote it be" in the deadwax; mastered by Paul Richmond at Mastercraft in Memphis

Led Zepp's third record. It's one of the least played out of the Zeppelin catalog for me, although Immigrant Song is played out/probably don't need to hear it again in this lifetime. In 1970, Jimmy Page bought Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness in the highlands of Scotland. It was the home of author and occultist Aleister Crowley from 1899 to 1913. The deadwax quote "do what thou wilt" is attributed to Crowley, and probably stems from Page's occult interests.

The Paupers - Magic People
    (1967, Verve Forecast) FT-3026 mono pressing

debut record from a promising Toronto psychedelic rock band that flamed out after a couple of records. I also have a 1999 2-LP compilation on Edsel records.

801 - 801 Live
    (1976, Polydor) U.K. pressing

English experimental rock band consisting of Phil Manzanera (guitars, ex-Roxy Music), Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, and vocals, ex-Roxy Music), Bill MacCormick (bass and vocals, ex-Quiet Sun, Matching Mole), Francis Monkman (Fender Rhodes piano and clavinet, ex-Curved Air), Simon Phillips (drums and rhythm generator), Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar and vocals). Great playing and a crushing recording. includes covers of Lennon-McCartney's Tomorrow Never Knows and Ray Davies' You Really Got Me.

JJefferson Airplane - Crown Of Creation
    (1968, RCA Victor) 1968 pressing w/ black label & dog on top

4th album, this is a big favorite. Jorma Kaukonen's psychedelic lead guitar is a treat, and Jack Casady's bass playing is especially prominent on the Rega/Benz Ace combo. The usual great songwriting from Kantner & Slick, and wonderful vocals from Grace and Marty Balin. 5 stars.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Changes
    (1964, Columbia) 1st pressing with "360" in black print on label

Starting the day with a favorite jazz artist. This is a continuation of Brubeck's series of albums exploring the elements of time in jazz and music. with Paul Desmond, alto sax; Eugene Wright, bass; Joe Morello, drums.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Changes
    good thing you are living in the 21st century, with as much as you spin ....I checked out "The cartridge/stylus" handbook" , written in the 50's .....a sapphire tipped needle had a life expectancy of ...drum roll ......seven and a half hours ...(the EEK is mine)

tho the net has a somewhat longer answer

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cartridgehistory.htm

An average sapphire stylus will give about 35 or 40 long plays before it begins to scratch records.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Various Artists - An Anthology Of British Blues
    (1969, Immediate)

Lots of Clapton here as he plays with the Bluesbreakers on a couple of tracks as well as the three cuts credited to him which, according to Allmusic, also feature Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger (on harmonica), Bill Wyman, and Ian Stewart. a $1 record show grab last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    good thing you are living in the 21st century, with as much as you spin ....I checked out "The cartridge/stylus" handbook" , written in the 50's .....a sapphire tipped needle had a life expectancy of ...drum roll ......seven and a half hours ...(the EEK is mine)

tho the net has a somewhat longer answer

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cartridgehistory.htm

An average sapphire stylus will give about 35 or 40 long plays before it begins to scratch records.
    Cool site. I think the prices are a bit different now than listed in that 1958 text.

I can get 1000 hours from a stylus (diamond, thank you) which is about a year and half of playing for me. The MC cartridges I have been using don't have replaceable stylii - instead they are "re-tipped" by the mfg, essentially is a trade-in replacement deal.

I think the range of 300 - 1000 hours lifespan is right on because of variables of different playing conditions. I've heard that if the stylus has to navigate a lot of groove damaged records, it will wear out faster.

Until I've had the stylus examined by a pro under a microscope, I assume that a used stylus has been in use for too long, with the wrong tracking force/anti-skate, and on too many trashed records. Replacement stylus for MM cartridges are $30 - $100+ if you go for the fancy JICO stylus. Well worth the expense, especially if you figure you can get 1000 hours of playing time.

Miles Davis - Water Babies
    (1976, Columbia)

tracks recorded 1967-69 with Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock on keyboards. side one is the 1967 quintet doing post-bop, side 2 is a couple of tracks is the same group doing two fusion jams that show him on the path to Bitches Brew.

Crow - The Best Of
    (1972, Amaret/MGM)

Crow was a Minneapolis hard rock-based blues rock band, active from 1967-1972. interesting extended jams, one of the songs on side 1 includes a few chords from Jailhouse Rock. Evil Woman and "Cottage Cheese" are highlights, some prominent organ and bass playing on the latter. an interesting note on wiki:

"Evil Woman (Don’t Play Your Games With Me)" is a song written and recorded by Minneapolis-based band Crow that appeared on their 1969 album Crow Music. It was covered in 1970 by Black Sabbath and was released as their first single. The song also appeared on the Sabbath's debut album, Black Sabbath, later that year

Aretha Franklin - Aretha's Gold
    (1969, Atlantic)

a nice compilation of Aretha's early Atlantic tracks. Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York except I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) & Do Right Woman, Do Right Man which were recorded at the Fame Recording Studios, Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Back cover pictures of session musicians include Duane Allman, Spooner Oldham, and other Muscle Shoals session players.

I have a couple of copies of this, and I noticed that each of the cover pictures have a different hue/tint - weird that they would switch the photo in different runs of the record.

Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy
    (1975, Warner Bros)

The Heep's 8th studio album, with a new bass player John Wetton.

Gordon Lightfoot - Sunday Concert
    (1969, United Artists)

recorded March 1969 at Massey Hall, Toronto. includes performances of five previously unreleased tracks. A thrift find last month.

Thread Information