Page 180 of 721 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280680 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Velvet Underground - self titled
    (1969, MGM) STERLING plus a circled + in the deadwax; remastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound; 1984 Verve reissue

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

waayyy back last summer , I discovered this album

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    normally I dont care for horns,,,but the ones on Genius + Soul = Jazz are very nice..

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Soul-Ja.../dp/B000003424

Product Description

Charles' only all-instrumental LPs on one CD! 1961's Genius + Soul = Jazz is a big band jazz workout featuring the Count Basie Band and arrangements from Quincy Jones. It includes the Top 10 hit "One Mint Julep."

http://www.warr.org/charles.html#G+S=J

Genius + Soul = Jazz (1961)
    An unvarnished big band jazz album. Like Genius Of, Jones did the arrangements, but the results are far grittier and swing a lot harder: Ray's distinctive organ playing is prominent (the Top Ten hit "One Mint Julep"), the horns are blowing like crazy ("Birth Of The Blues"), and though most of the tracks are instrumental, Charles' stamp is unmistakable throughout, and his vocal features just stand out further by contrast ("I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town"). Three tunes are Charles originals, including the opening "From The Heart." (DBW)

LATER :went thru Genius + Soul = Jazz 3x... really like it, its one of the better finds in the last month or two...
    and then this one (RC+CB=Genius squared)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    .....sounds great and I like the finished product .
    so I was reading the docs that came with RC+CB=Genius squared and it referenced the G+S=J album

"There wasnt a technical precedent, but there was an artistic one...thats the great G+S=J from the 60's..There he sang with a band of chiefly Basie personnel minus Basie himself. The charts were smoking and Ray sang magnificently. There was a perfect dynamic between singer and orchestra. G+S=J achieved an atomic explosive Ray Basie feel."

guess thats what I was trying to say...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Found a copy of this at Record & Tape Collector downtown ...
    I'd forgotten this album and these guys -
    but - this is a remastered, expanded big whoopydo package ... had to have it!

Playing the title track now, hadn't heard this since High School,
    loaned the album to a then friend & it never came back.
    And I know about the UK original art, but I'll always remember it with the US label my original LP came in ..

Name:  Salisbury.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  28.3 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Larry Coryell - Planet End
    (1975, Vanguard)

w/ John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous > playing together with Coryell, wow.

cruised the flea market and came up with these 2 ....I'm not a big Bees fan, but this had "Lonely Nights" and have developed a liking for Al Stewart ...pic of him on back cover sure resembles George H...

picked up The Pious Bird of Good Omen in FLAC ,

wiki says : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pio...d_of_Good_Omen

The Pious Bird of Good Omen is a compilation album by Fleetwood Mac, released in 1969. It consisted of the first four UK singles and their B-sides, two tracks from the second album Mr. Wonderful, and two tracks by blues artist Eddie Boyd with backing by members of Fleetwood Mac. These two tracks came from Boyd's album 7936 South Rhodes.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Baker Gurvitz Army - self titled
    (1974, Janus) AN in the deadwax; mastered by Anton Mathews at Trident Studios

ex-Cream and Blind Faith drummer joins forces with brothers Adrian and Paul Gurvitz to form a power trio. Aggressive hard rock ensues with thunderous drumming from Ginger Baker.

Black Sabbath - Sabotage
    (1975, Warner Bros) 1979 pressing w/ tan label; Winchester rifle symbol in the deadwax; pressed at the Capitol plant in Winchester, VA

AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    (1979, Atlantic) mixing engineer: Tony Platt at Basing Street Studios, London

Cream - Fresh Cream
    (1966, Atco) LW in the deadwax; 1967 US 1st pressing

debut album from the blues-rock supergroup with Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. number 101 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time

XTC - Mummer
    (1983, Geffen)

Steve Hackett - Defector
    (1980, Charisma) Lyre or Harp symbol in the deadwax - Utopia studios

4th solo LP from ex-Genesis guitarist.

The Jo Jones Trio - self titled
    (1958, Everest) "A Certified Stereo-Master Recording"; SDBR-1023

It sounds like they miked up (Telefunken, AKG, and Neumann microphones) the players and just rolled the tape, very in-the-studio sound, especially the percussion.
    An estate sale grab in September - I miss all those fair weather sales.

The Jay and Kai Trombone Octet - Jay & Kai + 6
    (1956, Columbia)

6 trombone players + Hank Jones, piano; Milt Hinton / Ray Brown, bass, Osie Harris drums. a terrific sounding "360 sound" Columbia 6-eye. includes a nice cover of A Night In Tunisia. another estate sale find in September.

Walter Carlos - By Request
    (1975, Columbia)

classical and pop with lots of bleeps and bloops.

Various Artists - Super Oldies / Vol. 3
    (1968, Capitol)

compiliation of Folk Rock, Rock & Roll, Psychedelic Rock. A great sounding 1960s Capitol production. with Jimi Hendrix credited on a 10 minute Curtis Knight tune "(guitar accompaniment by Jimi Hendrix)". It's 1968 and they are calling these "super oldies" ... 42 years later, what does that make them? a $1 thrift store pickup yesterday.

Thread Information