Page 170 of 721 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270670 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Fanny - Fanny Hill

the new name Fanny was suggested to producer Richard Perry by George Harrison
    that makes sense as "Fanny Hill" (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) is quite popular in British lore ...and.....

(Fanny Hill may have been the basis for "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Hill
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Grateful Dead - Anthem Of The Sun
    (1968, Warner Bros) 1979 tan label pressing

comparing a couple of tan label copies. Joe Smith, president of Warner Bros. at the time, was noted as calling Anthem of the Sun as "the most unreasonable project with which we have ever involved ourselves." includes parts of live tracks from concerts in late 1967, early 1968 including Seattle and Portland performances. from wikipedia:

The band used a large assortment of instruments in the studio to augment the live tracks that were the base of each song, including kazoos, crotales, a harpsichord, timpani, guiro, and a trumpet. Garcia commented that parts of the album were "far out, even too far out ... We weren't making a record in the normal sense; we were making a collage."
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

nice weather, more 2 wheeled miles

BTO is great condition..85 cents

I've only EVER seen 1 Clash LP before ...this was an expensive ($3) GW find...but it has very wide grooves...cleaner than some brand new shrink wrapped records that I've opened. "Rock the Casbah" is only 3:42 but takes up almost the whole side..bought it for my son in London , he's a big fan..but I enjoy The Clash too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kate and Anna McGarrigle - Pronto Monto
    (1978, Warner Bros) TML-S in the deadwax; mastered by Mike Reese, The Mastering Lab

Another collection of folk songs from the sister duo. Clever lyrics and wonderful singing. a $1 pickup at a recent record show.

Blues Image - Red White And Blues Image
    (1970, Atco)

3rd album from rock band who had the top 5 hit "Ride Captain Ride". a really nice sounding record (same Atco production team for Iron Butterfly), and playing here. Joe Lala on percussion later played with CSNY and with Stephen Stills on Manassas. The band is in transition here with the guitar players coming and going, roaming from Iron Butterfly to Steppenwolf. I found this one at a Half Price Books last year.

Pearl Jam - No Code
    (1996, Epic)

a gatefold with a bunch of die cut picture inserts and a foldout cover - a lot of packaging for a single LP release, I keep thinking it's a double LP with all the weight from the inserts. a $1 yard sale pickup last month.

Colosseum - Those Who Are About To Die Salute You
    (1969, ABC Dunhill) WLP

US pressing, the UK pressing is Fontana. The debut record for this Progressive jazz-rock British band. They gained exposure when recorded by BBC DJ John Peel for his Top Gear Radio program.

weather still nice...long ride out to Gresham via two flea markets ...picked up these..taking it easy as Portland's NightOwl record show is next Sat ...........

Albert King is in nice shape..the other 3 like new...in fact The Outlaws IS new in shrinkwrap ...saw them live on the "Catch a Rising Star" concert series put on by FM 92.3 ....which charged 92 cents for admission....that was their "Green Grass & High Tides" period....also saw "Talking Heads" a couple of weeks later at the Paramount also.

Lonnie Smith - Funk Reaction
    (1977, Lester Radio Corporation)

Dr. Lonnie Smith, the man with the turban, laying down the funk here on the Hammond B3 with Randy Brecker, Steve Gadd. A thick rhythm section. Recorded in NYC, June 1977. a $1 thrift find this week, the cover has seen better days but the LP is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    weather still nice...long ride out to Gresham via two flea markets ...picked up these..taking it easy as Portland's NightOwl record show is next Sat ...........

Albert King is in nice shape..the other 3 like new...in fact The Outlaws IS new in shrinkwrap ...saw them live on the "Catch a Rising Star" concert series put on by FM 92.3 ....which charged 92 cents for admission....that was their "Green Grass & High Tides" period....also saw "Talking Heads" a couple of weeks later at the Paramount also.
    Nice finds. Wow those must have been fun concerts. I remember listening to the Green Grass & High Tides track on a friend's system back in high school days. ...Speakerlab 7's and a big Sansui receiver IIRC. Green grass and high tides forever.

Good to see that the Night Owl show is on your radar. That's supposed to be one fo the best shows - they serve beer and play tunes while you browse. What could be better? I'm going to hit the Seattle Center record show tomorrow morning, right under the Space Needle, it's a good show with favorite sellers. I hope to grab a bunch of tasty jazz records from one guy who always has a couple dozen dollar boxes (the same guy at the last Portland show).

The Grateful Dead - What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
    (1977, Warner Bros) Winchester symbol in the deadwax

2 LP compilation released by Warner Bros even though the Dead had left the label. Listening to sides 2/3. includes a studio recorded single version of Dark Star. wow how do you make a good version of Dark Star in 3 minutes. Answer: you don't.

Pandora Invite - PDX

got this email ..I'm a registered listener ..if anybody's interested , reply to :[email protected]

I’m writing to invite you to a Pandora listener "Town Hall" meet-up in Portland on Thursday, October 21st at 6 p.m. It will be held in the offices of Wieden+Kennedy in the Pearl District.
    It'll be a very informal gathering. I'll share some Pandora history, some background on the Music Genome Project and I'll talk about what's ahead for Pandora. 2010 has already been quite a busy year, with more great news to come, so there's a lot to talk about!
    I also want to hear what's on your mind - questions, complaints, ideas...everything is fair game. Direct listener feedback is one of the things that keeps us jazzed at Pandora.
    To RSVP, simply reply to this email. You are welcome to bring guests as well; just let us know how many and their names.
    It should be a fun evening, complete with some free Pandora swag! It would be great to hear back from you by 5 p.m. on Wednesday 10/20, and I'm looking forward to seeing you at the meet-up!

See you soon.

-- Tim (Founder)

Full Details Below:
    What: Pandora Listener Town Hall
    When: Thursday October 21st, 6 p.m. Where: Wieden+Kennedy (224 NW 13th Ave., Portland, OR 97209)
    RSVP: Reply to this email with your name plus the name(s) of your guest(s).

__________________________________________________ ____________________

found this at the lib...really enjoyable ...Tarkio Rd. / one toke over the line / 50 states of freedom ....found the Tarkio LP yesterday, but too scratched to buy..

http://www.amazon.com/Weeds-Tarkio-B...7340969&sr=1-3

The Jacques Loussier Trio - Plays Bach Jazz, Vol. 2
    (1964, London) Mono

A French jazz trio with piano, string bass and drums. The liner notes compare this experiment with a similar one done by Django Rheinhart. a cool looking silver text on red label which doesn't photograph very well - London Full Frequency Range Recording

Phil Manzanera - Diamond Head
    (1975, Atco)

w/ Roxy Music bandmate Brian Eno, and Soft Machine's Robert Wyatt.

Aha! Diamond Head --- I've been a big Manzanera fan for Years ...
    from his work with Roxy Music, his solo work, and his work with 801 and other bands!

But today, I dug out some other vinyl from my UK artists collection ...

Since my OPPO is off for repairs, I dug out some licorice Pizzas for the Denon and Stanton to feed on! These 3 are from 74-77 era

The Mathematician's Air Display - Pekka Pahjola (with Mike Oldfield on the title track)

Quantum Jump - first album - these guys influences were jazz fusion like Di meola, with a bit of Kool and the gang and some edgy lyrics (The Lone Ranger, No American Starship)

John G. Perry - Sunset Wading - great environmental stuff with edgy bass, the late Simon Jeffes, the late Morris Pert and a bunch of other canterbury-era names ...

r Name:  Denon_4114.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  88.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information