Page 168 of 721 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268668 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Electric Prunes - Underground
    (1967, Reprise) Mono; "Promotional album" sticker on the cover

jangly layered guitars, spacey arrangements and lyrics. includes several of their songs and a Goffin-King song - I Happen To Love You
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

fab weather in PDX today (80 F) ...took off for that new record shop I'd found last week ...I googled out the route by bike this AM..Goog said it was 6.2 miles...came home and looked at the bike computer ..12.32 miles RT.

so I picked up these 4 (back was getting sore) 2 commons - but great condition and ones that I like , and 2 that I'd never seen ,,, even in catalogs.

I like most of what WAR does, Its a Beautiful Day LIVE ,,who knew ?? its got all their famous tunes ..both in super shape too..

last night I had Pandora going on the iTouch in bed ....tuned to the Beethoven channel and caught Symphony 3 Eroica (Italian for "heroic") and it was good...then Le Quattro Stagioni , one of my absolute favs , Oh I like Vivaldi , dug out Anne Sophie Mutter's version to listen tonight (I think its the BEST version - that girl has real passion ) and to cap it off was Jack & Meg (Elephant) while on 2 wheels today...somehow it all melded OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Orpheus - Ascending
    (1968, MGM)

Boston area rock band; they toured with The Who, 10 Years After, Blood Sweat and Tears, Janis Joplin, and Cream. includes covers of Walk Away Rene and Rod Argent's She's Not There. Funny trivia from wikipedia:

Comedian/actor Chevy Chase confirmed that his group Chameleon Church toured the South pretending to be Orpheus and that producer Alan Lorber was behind the deception. When confronted, Lorber denied it. But Chevy Chase explained that as he sang Arnold's part, people yelled "You're not Orpheus".

The Byrds - Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde
    (1969, CBS/Columbia)

Comparing a US 2-eyes with an orange label CBS European(?) pressing. I can't determine which country from label or the cover - no copyright or country information - or from doing a lookup. CBS ASF-1370. "interpak" on the back cover - which seems to point to South Africa as the origin of the cover. heavy vinyl. very nice sounding.

Jimi Hendrix - Hendrix In The West
    (1971, Warner Bros) STERLING RL in the deadwax; mastered by Robert Ludwig

purchased new back in the day. Not a big fan of live albums but this is one of my favorites, along with 30 Seconds Over Winterland.

been listening to recent vinyl finds this AM ....Steve Miller and Eagles "On the Border"
    had forgotten how good OtB really is ...for an old Eagles fan this has to be at least the equal of H.F.O or Hotel.Cal.

amazon reviews seems to agree with me..

Amazon.com essential recording
    On their third album, the Eagles finally produced a No. 1 hit with "The Best of My Love," but most of On the Border is marked by tough rockers, not sweet ballads. "Already Gone" is a brusque kiss-off and "Midnight Flyer" a bluegrass kicker, while "James Dean" recalls the '50s rebel icon, and the title track reflects on paranoia and creeping Big Brotherism. The Eagles also cover a Tom Waits tune, "Ol' 55," and pay tribute to alt-country godfather Gram Parsons on "My Man." The album title is prophetic in the sense that the band that made this record (bolstered by the addition of guitarist Don Felder) was on the verge of greatness, but not quite there yet. --Daniel Durchholz

as good as it is on LP ..think I'm gonna locate a CD too.

The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
    (1962, Capitol) Mono pressing

debut record with most of the songs composed by Brian Wilson including the title song and 409, which were hits. A lot of hokey lyrics and doo-wap singing, but there are bright spots besides the hits. a nice cover of Summertime Blues. Production credit to Nick Venet, but wikipedia says Brian did the production work. Carl's friend David Marks is pictured on the back cover; he replaced Al Jardine when he left and did not rejoin the band until 1963. They look so young in the pictures! ...a $1 thrift store find this week. I have a later issue red label duophonic copy, so I was happy to see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I can offer some input here since I have built up quite a concert DVD collection.

jblnut
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for the list jblnut

I've got the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and Elton John "Greatest Hits Live" and really like both so I will definitely start collecting the rest on your list.
    OK..I do know that I'm responding to posts from 2004 , but if you are an Eagles appreciator , the best concert DVD that I've ever seen or heard is

"The Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne" http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Farewel...6641758&sr=1-1

amazon sez:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Thirty songs, spread out over two discs and well over two and a half hours, with fine performances, great sound, and good visual direction: it's all here on Farewell 1 Tour, a documentary of the Eagles' 2004 concert in Melbourne, Australia. At one point, the veteran band seemed unlikely to even make it to the new millennium, but here they are, mostly intact, with a string of hits dating back more than three decades. The majority of them are performed here, from the earliest ("Take It Easy," "Desperado," "Peaceful Easy Feeling") through "Hotel California" and "Life in the Fast Lane" and right up to "Love Will Keep Us Alive" (from Hell Freezes Over, their most recent recording with new material on it); there are also hits from Glenn Frey, Don Henley, and Joe Walsh's solo careers, and a few new songs as well, including Walsh's "One Day at a Time" (an earnest ode to his new-found sobriety) and "Hole in the World," Frey and Henley's moving, almost gospel-tinged reaction to the events of 9/11/01. Guitarist Don Felder, who split acrimoniously with the band in 2001, isn't much missed, as replacement Steuart Smith plays the parts just as Felder did--i.e., pretty much exactly as they were recorded (indeed, pristine recreations of the studio versions of their songs has always been a hallmark of the Eagles' live shows). As for the somewhat cheeky title, well, there's always been a certain smugness to the Eagles' sense of humor, and it's no different this time, as Frey doesn't even pretend that there won't be a Farewell 2 Tour in the future. And why not? These are good songs, played beautifully by the quartet (plus supplemental musicians) to audiences that love them. Bonus material is limited to perfunctory interviews with the band. --Sam Graham

The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out!
    (1966, Verve)

credits include Carol Kaye - 12-string guitar; Mac Rebennack – piano; Paul Butterfield; Les McCann – piano

Sonny Rollins - The Sound Of Sonny
    (1957, Riverside) '80s Fantasy OJC reissue

w/ Roy Haynes, drums; Percy Heath/Paul Chambers, bass; Sonny Clark, piano. A yard sale pickup this summer.

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth
    (1977, MCA)

nice ballads and less progressive here. includes a song titled "Poor Man's Moody Blues". This copy has the die-cut cover with double sided inner sleeve, the other side is a sunset:
    The original LP version of this album, designed by Maldwyn Tootill, featured die-cut outer cover and full-color inner album sleeve. On one side of the inner sleeve was an owl (as shown in the picture); on the other side was a picture of a sunset. The inner sleeve could be reversed so that either side would be displayed through the die cut.

Joni Mitchell - Miles Of Aisles
    (1974, Elektra Asylum) WLP promo; Mastering by Bernie Grundman

w/ The LA Express backing band including Robben Ford on guitar. A really nice sounding live LP. I wish I'd seen her on this tour.

Jethro Tull - Benefit
    (1970, Reprise) 1970 Reprise pressing w/o W7 on the label

I also have a 1977 blue label Chrysalis pressing that I brought up from the basement storage today. will probably keep both. great record.

John Lennon - Imagine - Music From The Original Motion Picture
    (1988, Capitol) MASTERED BY CAPITOL Wally in the deadwax; mastered by Wally Traugott ( Capitol Studio & Mastering , Hollywood )

Happy 70th birthday, John.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thot this interesting

John Lennon at 70? We can only imagine….

For fans of the ex-Beatle, there are myriad events coming to mark that significant birthdate Oct. 9 as well as the 30th anniversary of his death on Dec. 8.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4262180.story
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml

Yoko reveals it was Paul who saved her marriage to John

It became a legendary event in John Lennon's increasingly eccentric life - famously known as 'the lost weekend'.

And now, on the day John Lennon fans around the world are celebrating what would have been his 70th birthday, his widow, Yoko Ono, has revealed what happened during those days when John disappeared with their pretty personal assistant.

And despite a well known war of words with Beatle Paul McCartney, Yoko credits Macca with actually saving their marriage.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

caught the end of "Tarkio Road" on the radio and really enjoyed....picked up the album on FLAC and it was good.....will definately grab when I see a good cond LP

http://www.amazon.com/Tarkio-Road-Br...6739565&sr=1-7

Thread Information