Page 163 of 721 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263663 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Cream - Fresh Cream
    (1966, Atco)

debut record for original power trio - Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker.

I grabbed this for 50 cents or a buck from a huge tupperware bin full of classic rock LPs sitting in a driveway at a yard sale a couple of years ago, I think the nice lady was selling her ex-boyfriends collection. The guy took good care of his records, this one had the same plastic lined inner paper sleeves that I used to use. Unfortuanately, he put an avery label w/ his name on the cover, after 40+ years I think it's not coming off completely without taking part of the cover.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    "I haven't heard that title, but I get what you're talking about. I experienced that a little bit with some of the selections on the Beatles CD remasters, Paul's bass on first listens, so pronounced, spooky."

This is what I liked about the Beatles remasters--At last I could hear the bass the way I always thought it was meant to be. I read somewhere that the original early albums were mastered using huge dual 15 monitors with bass aplenty. In the studio, the boys thought the recordings were bass heavy and cut back on it quite a bit. Soon enough, however, they were shocked to hear the sound that came out of what most folks actually listened to. On the other hand, those early mono releases sounded just fine on most big old-style juke boxes. I liked the ones with the bubbles.
    It's been a year since the CD remasters came out. I have the mono box set and a few stereo releases. I need to do some listening.

They probably decent equipment at EMI, from what I can find they had Altec 605A Monitors. I wonder what the speaker cabinets looked like?

Name:  605a.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  107.3 KB

Those recording sessions are interesting to read about, there's been a lot written. My favorite is The Beatles by Bob Spitz. Also Geoff Emerick, one of the EMI recording engineers wrote a book with a lot of behind the scenes with the recording sessions.

Abbey road studio 2...

Name:  abbeyroad.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  49.2 KB

Mickey Hart/Diga Rhythm Band - Diga
    (1976, Rounder)

a Mickey Hart project outside of the Dead; Jerry Garcia on guitar on a couple of tracks; thanks include David Frieberg, Paul Kantner, "The Good Old Grateful Dead"

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Cream - Fresh Cream
    (1966, Atco) he put an avery label w/ his name on the cover, after 40+ years I think it's not coming off completely without taking part of the cover.
    I'm a CREAM fan too...Clapton was pretty good b4 he turned to schlock.

the Avery label is one of the true times that you can say "does not affect sound"

. Also Geoff Emerick, one of the EMI recording engineers wrote a book with a lot of behind the scenes with the recording sessions.
    After an enjoyable read...I mini-reviewed it here
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post271039

a Mickey Hart project outside of the Dead;
    I'm still looking for Mickey Hart's "Apocalypse Now Sessions" ....had it once...overpowering, spooky stuff with a 10hz ending that will have you running for the gain control.

Iron Butterfly - In - A - Gadda - Da - Vida
    (1968, Atco)

Doug Ingle's wailing organ and deep vocals, psychedlic guitar chords, thundering bass and drums. Side 1 is not bad: My Mirage and Are You Happy are highlights for me.

This copy has handwritten matrices in the deadwax, I have another yellow ATCO with machine stamped matrices. I don't know if there's any significance and I'm sure that they pressed quite a few copies of this record.
    I have a still sealed copy of IaGdV.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Terry Reid - self titled
    (1969, Epic)

2nd LP from the British rock guitarist. 20 years old when this record was made. Includes a cover of Highway 61 Revisited and a Donovan song, along with Reid's own songs. He toured the US opening for Cream in '68 and the Rolling Stones in '69. Jimmy Page wanted Reid as vocalist for the New Yardbirds - Reid recommended a young Robert Plant. Also turned down an offer to join Deep Purple.

Another one of those orphaned thrift finds, found today sitting in a sea of Mantovani and Streisand records at the thrift store. I have Reid's first record, "Bang, Bang, You're Terry Reid" and I am very glad to see this one turn up in the wild. Cleaned up well on the VPI and plays nicely.

Terry Reid - self titled
    (1969, Epic)
    Heard TR's "Season of the Witch" on XM and he did a fine job of it.

got in 9 miles on the TREK b4 sprinkles started...new batch of LP's at Salvation Army..I had most of them already..bummer.....did get these 3 as they were in EX condition, (looked like 1 play to tape and store) already have the Santana double, but this is better cond....The ELO is a double too and sounding great right now.

that reminds me....took an R&R in Taipei 1970...back then Taiwan did not honor international copyrights....they pirated everything...you know, Encyclopedia Britannica for $11US ...etc. Really poor quality at those prices......anyway I bought a bunch of LP's at 15 cents each NEW...they were in paper jackets, cardboard would have jacked up the price.....hauled them back to the Delta and tried one...it was OK, but on 2nd play it was worn out already ....so that became the practice...tape them on first play and then sell them to the locals to resell.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Badfinger - Ass
    (1973, Apple) MASTERED BY CAPITOL and wly in the deadwax; mastered by Wally Traugott

4th record and final with Apple. Todd Rundgren is credited as producer, apparently he left the project w/ just two songs recorded, which led to delays in finishing the record.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Heard TR's "Season of the Witch" on XM and he did a fine job of it.

< snip >

that reminds me....took an R&R in Taipei 1970...back then Taiwan did not honor international copyrights....they pirated everything...you know, Encyclopedia Britannica for $11US ...etc. Really poor quality at those prices......anyway I bought a bunch of LP's at 15 cents each NEW...they were in paper jackets, cardboard would have jacked up the price.....hauled them back to the Delta and tried one...it was OK, but on 2nd play it was worn out already ....so that became the practice...tape them on first play and then sell them to the locals to resell.
    Yes, that is a killer Season Of The Witch from his 1968 Bang, Bang, You're Terry Reid record. From reading on the internets...I think he was pals with Donovan, and also with Graham Nash of the Hollies - who got him into the studio, he put him in touch with producer Mickie Most, who was producing the Animals among others. Nash played on one of his records in the mid-70s after Reid had moved to California.

interesting story about those cheap colored vinyl Tapei counterfeit records. I have run across a few of those in collections and they have uniformly sounded like crap - I think you're right about not holding up to repeated plays but also poor quality and material to begin with - a dub of an original record probably, alot of the covers are shiite too - they make the KTel, Pickwick and Crown compilations look good.

The Doors - Strange Days
    (1967, Elektra)

The Doors' 2nd record, a lot of songs written in 65-66. I purchased Strange Days in the early 70s on the Elektra butterfly label, I've since found a couple of nice 1st pressing brown label stereo copies sitting in boxes in someone's yard sale - love these early Doors records, wonderful music and recordings.

Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse
    (1971, Warner Bros)

Third record by Faces with Ron Wood, guitar, Ronnie Lane, bass and vocals, and Rod Stewart. It's a rollicking party from the first track.
    A really big color poster was included with the record.

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
    (1969, Elektra)

3rd record from singer-songwriter, a relaxed drawn out feel to the acoustic based songs. "Buzzin' Fly" and "Love From Room 109 At The Islander (On Pacific Coast Highway)" are favorites.

Harvey Mandel - The Snake
    (1972, Janus)

1972 release, blue rock with jazz influences. A really tasty example of his versatile playing.

Kaleidoscope - Bernice
    (1970, Epic)

60's US Psychedelic rock/pop band formed in 1966, w/ David Lindley. Trippy electric guitar heavy with country influences.

King Crimson - Lark's Tongue In Aspic
    (1973, Atlantic)

5th studio album w/ Bill Bruford newly arrived from Yes. violin, guitars, mellotron. jazz, heavy metal, classical, experimental. The first section of the opening title track Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. 1 has a breathtaking transition described as going from a whisper to a scream. an amazing record.

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
    (1970, Atlantic)

2nd album by the progressive rock group. Greg Lake had already left to join Keith Emerson in forming ELP, but he ...."agreed to sing on the recordings for the band's developing album In the Wake of Poseidon (negotiating to receive King Crimson's PA equipment as payment)."

Thread Information