Page 162 of 721 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262662 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Joe Walsh - So What
    (1974, ABC Dunhill) KENDUN A, both sides, and "That's no banana, that's my noze!", side 1 in the deadwax

purchased new in '74. Joe at the top of his game. w/ Dan Fogelberg, guitar, JD Souther, Don Henley, Randy Meisner, Glen Frey singing backgrounds
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Remasters

Anybody understand what I'm talking about ???

Yes indeed. It's relativity. It doesn't sound natural because the production is now out of sync with what we who listened to that music when it was "new" consider to be its "natural state." On the other hand, those unfamiliar with the "style" of production of the originals might think something like, "Wow--you say those guys were from the '60's? They sound MODERN, man." We'd like to think that good recording is just good recording, and that better, more accurate equipment will just make it "better," but what's considered "better" is subject to change. I remember, back when vinyl or cassettes were all there was, always wishing there was a way to eliminate the surface noise. Then, when I heard my first cd's, I couldn't stand what seemed to be their shrieky steeliness. Go figure. After awhile, the clicks and pops were actually just part of the experience, and it's sort of weird without them. I remember an old man music lover in my neighborhood I knew when I was a kid--I kept trying to convince him to replace his symphonies on 78's with "new" 33 and 1/3 LP's. He said they just didn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    I haven't heard that title, but I get what you're talking about. I experienced that a little bit with some of the selections on the Beatles CD remasters, Paul's bass on first listens, so pronounced, spooky.
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Anybody understand what I'm talking about ???

Yes indeed. It's relativity.

Glad I'm not just mumbling to myself...yes, its great to hear the dynamics that my system is capable of ....most of the vinyl that I spin is really enjoyable, but just cant compete -dynamics wise- , unless you find LP's from the 80's or MFSL or Quad/Phase 4 or the JBL Sessions set.

This CD was at my local library....if you have any interest in The DOORS , its really worth tracking down...prior Doors CD's sounded just like the vinyl , but w/o pops/crackles This one is startling . like the old corny ......"Sounded like I'd never heard them before this"

I think Wizzers theory of relativity may be correct
    (your given name isn't Albert ??)

Been enjoying ELO's "Eldorado" on the big AR's ...a flac of the remaster dubbed to MD. It's got the same dynamics as "The Future Starts Here" ...WOW

(the AR's are rated 23Hz - 30kHz and I believe it)
    they are very similar to JBL L-7 , but have 2 side firing 10's instead of the single SF 12.
    http://audio-database.com/AR/amp_speaker/ar-90-e.html
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

picked up the remastered BTB .....really enjoy the early Stones more than most anything they have done since the mid 80's .....Tattoo You may have been their last good album.
    (just put a lib hold on the remastered "Flowers")
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz"

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
    (1968, Capitol)
    yup,I like the early SteveMillerBluesBand too ...their album "Sailor" is outstanding also....
    and the story abt being mentored by Les Paul at an early age is well known.

so I'll be the first to admit that I dont know Miles Davis from Billy Davis, but I'd seen this iconic album (Kind of Blue) in so many catalogs, that picking up an original (even if only G cond) was a no-brainer....can never have too much Linda R..... (prolly my 3rd copy of this)

OH yeah....I was reading of SLF's good finds at HPB and stopped in at a new store on my bike route called Dollar Books...they had abt 8 milk boxes of LP's ....found a double in super condition of a group that I'm not familiar with ...its called "LightHouse Live" , came home and read the reviews and it sounds like mebbe early Chicago, so will go back and grab it Monday.

after reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_of_Blue . I'm looking forward to getting KoB cleaned and cued..

Though precise figures have been disputed, Kind of Blue has been cited by many music writers not only as Davis's best-selling album, but as the best-selling jazz record of all time. On October 7, 2008, it was certified quadruple platinum in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). It has been regarded by many critics as the greatest jazz album of all time and Davis's masterpiece. The album's influence on music, including jazz, rock and classical music, has led music writers to acknowledge it as one of the most influential albums of all time. In 2002, it was one of fifty recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. In 2003, the album was ranked number 12 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
    (1967, RCA Victor) Mono pressing

w/ Jerry Garcia credited as musical and spiritual advisor, as well as guitar on several tracks. He suggested the title for the record.
    a $1 yard sale pickup this morning, I couldn't resist snapping up another mono surrealistic pillow. looks nice and plays quiet even on the Marty Balin tracks like Comin' Back To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OH yeah....I was reading of SLF's good finds at HPB and stopped in at a new store on my bike route called Dollar Books...they had abt 8 milk boxes of LP's
    always good to find a promising new place to dig. Nice grab on the Miles Davis, I think that's a great one, from his prime period although I think he did ok a bit later in his career, with launching and ushering in jazz fusion with Bitches Brew

Deep Purple - Fireball
    (1971, Warner Bros)

5th studio album this one starts strong with the title track, wonderful playing and a great recording.
    A $1 thrift find last week, inexplicably sitting in a bin by itself, i.e. surrounded by the countless usual crap - Montovani, Manilow, & Streisand. ...a straggler that escaped the clutches of previous crate diggers, or?

John Cage - Variations II
    (1967, Columbia)

Cage's piece covers side 1 (26:20) - recorded July, 1967, NYC. There is a 10 minute piece from Milton Babbitt - Ensemble For Synthesizer on side 2.
    interesting music for Sunday morning, keeping me on my toes. a yard sale pick-up from yesterday.

The Who - Who's Next
    (1971, Decca) US Decca with side one: 712888, side two: 712889 matrices in the deadwax

another US Decca copy from the basement pile. No "W-1" "W-2" (or "MG" pre-pended) in the deadwax matrices on this one (I have one of those), so I don't know if this is one of the Doug Sax mastered "west coast" pressings. It sounds good, but maybe without the rhythm section depth and punch that I noticed in the W-1 pressings.

The Who - Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy
    (1971, Decca)

US Decca of this 1971 compilation mostly of singles that had not appeared on Who LPs including killer tracks like "I Can See For Miles".

Emitt Rhodes - Mirror
    (1971, ABC Dunhill)

American singer songwriter, compared to Paul McCartney for his vocals and muscianship. He plays all of the instruments and sings all of the vocals while recording himself in his home recording studio for this record. This is my first listen, a garage sale grab from this summer, a really nice sounding record and it does remind me of McCartney's early 70s solo LPs.
    All Music:
    "Golden Child of God" is also one of his finest compositions — it also would have easily been at home on Paul McCartney's Ram.

Went back to the Dollar bookstore and picked up these 2 ....think I convinced them to pull the remaining records from the warehouse and stock in the store...

The British Invasion is full of the top 40 charts from the mid 60's..

Lighthouse seems to be a cross between early Chicago, BST and The Allman Brothers ...with horns and strings & a dash of Neil young sound (& and a little of Jethro Tull type flute too)....their long jam on "8 miles high" is very nice.....double in great condition for a buck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse_%28band%29

Lighthouse is a Canadian rock band formed in 1968 in Toronto which included horns, string instruments, and vibraphone; their music reflected elements of rock music, jazz, classical music,and swing. It won Juno Awards for Best Canadian Group of the Year in 1972, 1973 and 1974

More on Relativity from Not Albert (fat or otherwise): Paul's Spooky Bass

"I haven't heard that title, but I get what you're talking about. I experienced that a little bit with some of the selections on the Beatles CD remasters, Paul's bass on first listens, so pronounced, spooky."

This is what I liked about the Beatles remasters--At last I could hear the bass the way I always thought it was meant to be. I read somewhere that the original early albums were mastered using huge dual 15 monitors with bass aplenty. In the studio, the boys thought the recordings were bass heavy and cut back on it quite a bit. Soon enough, however, they were shocked to hear the sound that came out of what most folks actually listened to. On the other hand, those early mono releases sounded just fine on most big old-style juke boxes. I liked the ones with the bubbles.

Iron Butterfly - In - A - Gadda - Da - Vida
    (1968, Atco)

Doug Ingle's wailing organ and deep vocals, psychedlic guitar chords, thundering bass and drums. Side 1 is not bad: My Mirage and Are You Happy are highlights for me.

This copy has handwritten matrices in the deadwax, I have another yellow ATCO with machine stamped matrices. I don't know if there's any significance and I'm sure that they pressed quite a few copies of this record.

Thread Information