Page 161 of 721 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

David Lindley - Mr. Dave
    (1985, WEA/Warner Bros) Japanese pressing

A solo, singer-songwriter effort for Lindley instead of his usual work with his band El Rayo-X. David Lindley (vocals, electric, acoustic, slide, and baritone guitars, banjo, mandolin, saz, harp, keyboards) Jorge Calderon (vocals, bass), Danny Kortchmar (bass, keyboards, drums, electric and acoustic guitars, vocals), James Cruce (drums).
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Bachman Turner Overdrive - self titled
    (1973, Mercury) G.K. in the deadwax; Mastered by Gilbert Kong

debut, originally to be titled Brave Belt III as they played under that name previously, as well as members from The Guess Who. AllMusic describes this as "a methodical mix of plodding hard dirges." fair enough but it's a lot of fun and well produced. BTO hit songs powered many a high school party. I have wanted to give this old title a spin. I heard the last minute or so of Blue Collar on the car radio the other day, the runs at the end sound very much like George Benson jazz guitar.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    (1966, Capitol) Mono pressing

bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, the Electro-Theremin, dog whistles and barks, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, layered tracks of vocals and instruments, essential music, very nice on a sunday morning. This was in the basement storage, comparing to the other VG+ copy, sounds great. This one doesn't have someones name written on the cover, so that's a plus.

Ian & Sylvia - Greatest Hits!
    (1970, Vanguard)

2 LP compilation, great covers of Lightfoot, Dylan, Cash, Joni Mitchell. Nice recording with Ian's voice in the right channel, Sylvia's voice in the left channel (at least on my rig ) especially noticed on songs with sparse instrumentation like Dylan's Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

John Hammond - Can't Beat The Kid
    (1975, Capricorn) STERLING in the deadwax

blues guitar and harmonica with Hammond recording with the southern label Capricorn and with Muscle Shoals sidemen Kenny Buttrey and Spooner Oldham.

Various Artists - $64,000 Jazz
    (1955, Columbia)

Yard sale pickup this morning. Louis, Duke, Brubeck, J.J. & Kai on a VG+ 6-eye label.

Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
    (1968, Capitol)

debut album, recorded in London. Miller and Boz Scaggs on guitar and vocals. Many of the songs were written in '67 when Miller was working as a janitor at a Texas music studio.

Josh White - 25th Anniversary album / The Story Of John Henry
    (1955, Elektra)

an early Elektra record that helped establish the label. 25th anniversary refers to White's recording career which started in 1929, this record marked a comeback for him after being blacklisted in the US market during the 50s McCarthy era. Some Labor day music (Labour Day for our Canadian friends).
    found this last month on the 50 cent clearance shelf at HPB.

Pete Townsend - Scoop
    (1983, Atco)

2 LP compilation of demos. Inner sleeves include cool pictures of Pete in his home studio, and interesting notes.
    I picked up this one at this weekend's sale at Half Price Books for $2.

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop
    (1975, Island) STERLING in the deadwax, both sides; "more schmaltz" on side A

Little Feat and Allen Toussaint are backing band here, as with Palmer's first record the year before - Sneaking Sally Through The Alley. You can definitely hear the influence of the Meters, Little Feat and Toussant here, and the New Orleans funk goes well with Palmer's vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Pete Townsend - Scoop
    (1983, Atco)

2 LP compilation of demos. Inner sleeves include cool pictures of Pete in his home studio, and interesting notes.
    I picked up this one at this weekend's sale at Half Price Books for $2.
    Got it and love it.
    Out.

too lazy to foto this weeks finds

Yesterday i took out The DOORS remaster "The Future Starts Here"

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Starts-...0&sr=8-1-spell

I did a digi dub to MiniDisk and then auditioned on the Senn HD-580's.

its prolly one of the best remaster jobs that I've ever heard ...very dynamic, great highs/lows and I can finally understand all of Jim's lyrics ....they augmented the normal tracks with full sustains....(which are cut off on standard releases) , studio chatter and full intros.....wonderful stuff , BUT

it doesnt sound natural ....it sounds current..not like 60's recordings....sounds so different than what I'm used to hearing....its like watching a model T Ford doing 120 MPH...its a real treat but seems out of place...incongruent.

Anybody understand what I'm talking about ???
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
    (1971, Liberty) Mexican pressing

Heavy vinyl with a cool Liberty-Mexico label, in good shape after a cleaning on the VPI machine, and sounds very nice. I have US copy with the Fantasy label in a gatefold cover; this one does not have the gatefold and the cover is slightly glossy. The song titles and credits on the label are in Spanish.
    $1 thrift find on the way home from work today.

Doors - Future Starts Here CD

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    .its prolly one of the best remaster jobs that I've ever heard ...very dynamic, great highs/lows and I can finally understand all of Jim's lyrics ....they augmented the normal tracks with full sustains....(which are cut off on standard releases) , studio chatter and full intros.....wonderful stuff , BUT

it doesnt sound natural ....it sounds current..not like 60's recordings....sounds so different than what I'm used to hearing....its like watching a model T Ford doing 120 MPH...its a real treat but seems out of place...incongruent.

Anybody understand what I'm talking about ???
    I haven't heard that title, but I get what you're talking about. I experienced that a little bit with some of the selections on the Beatles CD remasters, Paul's bass on first listens, so pronounced, spooky.

Its fun hearing the different mastering on different pressings, vinyl is usually definitive for me, but some CD releases sound incredible (steve hoffman mastering, for example) when playback is through a good Digital/Analog unit (I have a couple of midfi units - Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC), and it's nice to have choices.

Jim Hall - Commitment
    (1976, A&M/Horizon)

w/ Art Farmer, Ron Carter, Terry Clarke, and Jane Hall, Jim's wife, singing on "When I Fall In Love"

Thread Information