Page 16 of 721 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

WHAT'S ON?

Right now, I'm listening to the first print of a new album a friend executive produced. About two months ago, he dropped by the studio here and asked me to lend an ear to the final mixes of this product and give him suggestions. He gave me about three days before he was to jump on a plane to Abbey Road studios to have the album mastered. I soaked in the album, which needed some TLC, and gave him my suggestions the night before he left.

To my amazement, he took all my suggestions to heart. The mastering engineer at Abbey Road did a marvelous job, taking care of some overbearing midrange and eliminating the classic artifacts of a mix done on Yamaha NS-10ms. The result it is an album that is both very pretty and a treat to the ears. After the usual wrangling with art and fabrication, I got one of the first copies off the end of the production line.

The album is pop/concept/art rock/world, a kind of tour-de-force with various styles meant to showcase the very appealling voice capabilities of a young lady who lives in Bankok, Thailand. She's a multi-national (Italian and Indonesian) who was born in Italy and has traveled the world. She's fluent in about six languages. The album is mostly in English but she has since re-recorded many of the songs in Spanish and one of the re-recordings is offered as a bonus track on the album. The album might be considered pop, except for the fact that the executive producer is English, and spent his twenties rubbing elbows with many pop stars of the British art-rock genre. The complexity of his background informs and expands the arrangements and production of the work.

The result is pretty exciting and right now he's finishing the distribution agreements. Hopefully we'll see it in stores soon.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Dave Grusin, I get.

Particia Barber, I get.

Larry Carlton, I get.

Sun Ra, I don't get.

[SOUNDS good here, tho.... ]

Talking Jimi

Went to the Howard Hughes Center today, stopped in at Borders and (with a Borders card) grabbed axis:bold as love and Electric Ladyland in the Experience Hendrix remasters for $22 for the pair.

So tonight is Hendrix night in the dungeon.

"And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually..."
    Out.

Pink Floyd : Animals, Wish you were here. Back to back

Hey Titanium....Who did the remastering on those Hendrix CDs?...was it Kramer?

Oh yea..
    JBL Urei 6260
    JBL 4412s

I could of swore Waters just tripped over my big toe

Originally written by mbask

Definitely some of their best stuff!

Floyd

Well my girlfriend denies anything past the "Sid" years
    But I haven't yet goten over the Gilmore/ Waters colaboeration...
    I just love those albums in the 70s

I love Animals, hee-hee

Quote Originally Posted by mbask
    Those are my favorites!

RJ

Finally....

Since we're in a Floyd mood, I should mention the (very) long awaited release of Pulse on DVD has finally come to pass. I just got mine yesterday and am counting down the minutes until the house is empty enough for me to re-create the proper concert environment .
    I'm disappointed they didn't do a proper DTS audio mix but I'll reserve any more comments until I've heard how the DD sound came out. It does span two DVDs and claims to have some extras.

In case anyone else needs a quick fix, here it is:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Pink-Fl...43883QQtgZinfo

Now, how about getting Delicate Sound of Thunder out eh ??? It's arguably the better of the two since it was done on film and not video.
    The backup singers also get my vote in a head-to-head Great Big Gig battle of the bands...

jblnut

i have been enjoying the sweet sounds of 60's R&B female singers...

right now, it's Candi Staton that's rocking my world.

Living Room: JBL Alphas, MAC 1700, Sony PSX-70
    Bedroom: Dueling Bedspring
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

Smile Experience Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mbask
    (snip)

Hey Titanium....Who did the remastering on those Hendrix CDs?...was it Kramer?

(snip)
    Yes, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott:

With the help of Jimi 's step-sister Janie, Al set up Experience Hendrix to begin to get Jimi 's legacy in order. They began by hiring John McDermott and Jimi 's original engineer, Eddie Kramer to oversee the remastering process. They were able to find all the original master tapes, which had never been used for previous CD releases, and in April of 1997, Hendrix 's first three albums were reissued with drastically improved sound. Accompanying those reissues was a posthumous compilation album (based on Jimi 's handwritten track listings) called First Rays of the New Rising Sun, made up of tracks from the Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes.
    This quote comes from a page on Jimi where you can read more:

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/Players/JimiHendrix.htm
    Out.

RIP 2009
    A friend of mine just gave me a 4" stack of CD's recorded from the board at Little Feat concerts over the last couple years. Obviously, some junk here and there, but some real gems too!

John

let me know if you are interested in sharing some of those gems with a huge little feat fan (atic)

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell
    let me know if you are interested in sharing some of those gems with a huge little feat fan (atic)
    Will do. I'm going through them and marking the best ones. It'll be a while, though - ('lot of CD's!).

John

"More" Pink Floyd

A late post here about the Floyd. I saw them in a club (Aragon Ballroom) in 1969 or so and it was memorable. I do like David's playing over Syd's, but Syd's writing over Roger's. I may like More the best, even though it is post Syd. It's a soundtrack LP, their last release before Ummagumma. A great deal of beautiful bluster and noise, I still love it. Not much art rock pretention. That happened as soon as Roger appointed himself God, for better or for worse. See More here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

David plays beautifully on "Pink and Velvet," last cut on Berlin's Count Three & Pray. Down to three members, the group employed guest guitarists throughout. They don't say who played on what, but you can tell Elliot Easton from Ted Nugent from David Gilmour, no problem!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    Since we're in a Floyd mood, I should mention the (very) long awaited release of Pulse on DVD has finally come to pass. I just got mine yesterday and am counting down the minutes until the house is empty enough for me to re-create the proper concert environment .
    I'm disappointed they didn't do a proper DTS audio mix but I'll reserve any more comments until I've heard how the DD sound came out. It does span two DVDs and claims to have some extras.
    jblnut, on your recommendation, I ordered Pulse from Netflix this morning. It should be in my mailbox tommorrow morning, and in my burner shortly thereafter.

RJ

Thread Information