Page 159 of 721 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259659 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Esther Phillips - What a Diff'rence a Day Makes
    (1975, Kudu) Canadian pressing; VAN GELDER in the deadwax; mastered by Rudy Van Gelder

w/ Joe Beck on lead guitar, Steve Kahn, Michael Brecker, Randy Brecker. R&B vocals and jazz, nicely recorded.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

picked this up from La Biblioteca....

for us TYA fans these 2 CD's are a real treat..lots of arcane tunes and lots of the extended
    (7-14 minute) versions.....sound quality is excellent for the time period.

This double-disc, 26-track anthology spans the band's eight-albums-in-five-years prime, from its workmanlike 1967 covers of blues staples "I Want to Know" and "Spoonful" through a pair of rare 1968 singles (highlighted by Lee's quirky, country-folk "Portable People") to its 1971 pop hit, "I'd Love to Change the World." Lee's primitivist urges and legendary, lightning-fingered guitar heroics fuel everything from moody, simmering dirges like "Help Me" and upbeat Chi-town shuffles in the "Me and My Baby" mold to the Cro-Magnon riff-rock of "Love Like a Man" and the proto-psych-blues of "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain." If TYA's music is often as nimble and slick as a stegosaur--and arguably as timely--it's equally as leathery, unrelenting, and hard to ignore. --Jerry McCulley

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-1967...t_mus_ep_dpi_1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

good ride today..350 on the TREKs ODO

picked up these 7 , for a total under $4..all in NM condition..

Bob Dylan - Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    (1964, Columbia) Stereo pressing

comparing this 2-eye stereo copy, which I found last night while sorting through the basement backlog, with a 2-eye mono copy.
    Great record with Spanish Harlem Incident, It Ain't Me Babe, Chimes of Freedom, My Back Pages, and then there's Motorpsycho Nightmare; I Shall Be Free No. 10.

Lou Reed - self titled
    (1972, RCA)

this record cooks. w/ Steve Howe, guitar; Rick Wakeman, piano; recorded at Morgan Studios, London.

So Salvation Army is starting parking lot sales at their warehouse on Saturdays , its way out by the airport...went out and there was only a smattering of records in sight...peeked into a 5x5x5ft. packing box and there they were....just dumped in , as from a dumptruck...shattered,bent,smashed ...I had to pull them out by the handfulls, go thru them and stack on office chairs ..had abt 30 when a SA drone came by and informed me that the were $1/ea. "Thats more than I pay in the retail stores" , but THE CAPTAIN set the price and it was non-negotiable and the drone wasn't allowed to think for himself...so I tossed 25 back and ended up with these....wont be returning to SA warehouse sales in the future . At least the JLH is a double.

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
    (1972, RCA)

another RCA title from 1972, in fact the catalog number here (LSP-4702) is right next to the Lou Reed self titled (LSP-4701).

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    So Salvation Army is starting parking lot sales at their warehouse on Saturdays , its way out by the airport...went out and there was only a smattering of records in sight...peeked into a 5x5x5ft. packing box and there they were....just dumped in , as from a dumptruck...shattered,bent,smashed
    Yikes, that's a crazy sales approach and you'd expect a blowout sale to have the items priced by the bag, pound or something like 25cents each.

Half Price books up here puts on warehouse sales a couple of times a year and they blowout thousands of LPs from all the area stores for 25 cents each - typically stuff that has sat on their clearance shelf for a few months - I can usually find quite a few nice ones. And they are in boxes mostly tables, for waist-high flipping - a bit easier on the back and knees.

Looks like you pulled out some nice titles worth a buck, after some actual digging.

Janne Schaffer - Katharsis
    (1977, Columbia) Mastered by Peter Strindberg at The Cutting Room

jazz rock guitar. Schaffer did session work with Bob Marley, Johnny Nash, Art Farmer, ABBA. I think I also have his 1979 Earmeal. a $1 thrift pickup yesterday.

Greenslade - Time And Tide
    (1975, Mercury) MASTERDISK G.K. in the deadwax; mastered by Gilbert Kong

English progressive rock, with 2 members originally in Colosseum. The vocalist is from the shout/scream school, I was tempted to stop at side 1 but soldiered on through both sides.

Camel - Mirage
    (1974, Janus)

2nd album from the English progressive rock band from the Canterbury scene. Only 5 tracks on this record, two are 9+ minutes long.

Savoy Brown - Jack The Toad
    (1973, Parrot) Bell Sound S.F. in the deadwax; mastered by Sam Feldman

blues rock, guitar master Kim Simmonds in fine form.

Barclay James Harvest - Eyes Of The Universe
    (1979, Polydor) STERLING in the deadwax, side 1; Mastered by Melvyn Abrahams at Strawberry Mastering

This is a mixed bag with some interesting tracks including Skin Flicks.

Van Morrison - Moondance
    (1969, Warner Bros) 1970 pressing with WB on the label

next record after Astral Weeks, great stuff. Some writing in the gatefold from Janet Planet, Morrison's wife-to-be.

picked up JR the other day....virtuoso guitar

also while surfing the library website, I noticed that they carry all the seasons of the "Mission Impossible" TV series....wondered if it still held up after all these years and so grabbed season 1 (with Briggs , no Phelps yet) ...the obviously remastered disks are brilliant , sharp , saturated and the music is first class. (5.1)

On the pilot episode, the instructions are conveyed via LP , which smokes 1 minute after the plastic covering is lifted....I was reading the Wiki entry abt the show and it mentioned...

"at the end of the tape's instructions, Phelps/Briggs would be notified "this tape will self-destruct in five seconds", and smoke would emit from the tape and the instructions were destroyed.....There were a few exceptions to the use of a tape, most notably a vintage phonograph which automatically scratched its record into oblivion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_impossible

Got to thinking....mebbe I've run into some of the surplus briefing records in the thrift stores ....the phrase "scratched into oblivion" just rang a bell with me...

Thread Information