Page 156 of 721 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256656 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Beach Boys - Best Of The Beach Boys Vol. 2
    (1967, Capitol/Starline) 1970 release w/ green Starline label

plenty of songs here with the Brian Wilson magic from Beach Boys Today!, Summer Days (and Summer Nights) and other titles,
    but also some no-doubt Mike Love inspired stinkers like Barbara Ann.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Joe Pass - Intercontinental
    (1973, BASF)

w/ Eberhard Weber, bass; Kenny Clarke, drums. recorded in Villingen, Germany, 1972. very tasty jazz guitar.

The Grateful Dead - self titled
    (1967, Warner Bros) Mono pressing

15 years gone already, RIP Jerry Garcia
    an estate sale grab from a couple of years ago.

The Grateful Dead - self titled
    (1971, Warner Bros) 2 LP live recording for Alembic by Bob and Betty

listening to side one with Bertha, Mama Tried, Big Railroad Blues, Playing in the Band

Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia - Hooteroll?
    (1971, Douglas)

picked up this NightHawks by Keith Emmerson, sounds just like a ELP album
    it may be a POTS ..."play once then store"

they had a copy of Leonard Nimoy's "The New World" including "Proud Mary" , but too scratched ...darn

(LATER) ...I went click/click with the mouse and the MP3 album appeared ....not as bad as I expected....kinda like a weak Johnny Cash ....

His Proud Mary got me into a CCR mood and put together a couple of compilation MD's today (too hot to go outside)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New..._Leonard_Nimoy

and this WHO GH ...uneven remastering...some cuts sound poor while others came out fine...OK for a library checkout.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Pat Metheny Group - self titled
    (1978, ECM) Promo / NFS

Happy Birthday Pat Metheny (one day late)! ...time for some Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays magic on San Lorenzo & Phase Dance.

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
    (1968, Elektra) stereo; brown label 1st pressing

a lot of favorite songs on this record including Love Street which reminds me of the scenes in the 1991 film with Val Kilmer and Meg Ryan.
    I found this excellent copy a couple of years ago at a yard sale, unfortunately "Jerry" put his name on a sticker in the upper right hand corner ...about 40 years ago

After yesterdays experience with Nimoy's "Proud Mary" , I picked up ...

Spaced Out: The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner

http://www.amazon.com/Spaced-Out-Leo.../dp/B0000089JE

I just have to paste in this review , he got the essence of it right

5.0 out of 5 stars Where No Manure Has Gone Before, April 25, 2003
    By Kevin Cook "Darlin' Boy" (McDonough, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

I used to think the funniest unintentionally funny thing I'd ever heard was Lorne Green, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon butchering the theme from "Bonanza." Then I got this album. The tone-deaf stars of "Bonanza" have nothing on "Star Trek's" William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, whose insatiable TV-star egos pushed them to record music and monologues that transcend mere mediocrity and ineptitude, constituting an alien art form that defies earthly description. Whatever it is, it's the best of it, or the worst, depending upon your point of view. You'll love it passionately, like I do, or you'll despise it with every fiber of your being, like my wife does.
    There's no middle ground here.Shatner's contributions, dramatic monologues set to florid music and rock songs performed with straightjacket intensity, are all taken from his legendary album "The Transformed Man." No one is safe from the shame of Canada: The hallowed words of Shakespeare, Lennon-McCartney and Bob Dylan are trampled and tortured in Shatner's patented overripe acting style, turned up to eleven. Shatner's anguished cry of "Mr. Tambourine Man!!!!" at the end of that song is so unexpected and frightening, it would kill a strolling minstrel dead in his tracks. I must confess, I'm a sucker for Shatner's histrionics, and I admire the chutzpa it took to be a performance artist of such...uniqueness. "It Was a Very Good Year," with Shatner exercising restraint (for him), actually achieves a certain elegance. It's my favorite burst of Shatnerian flatulence.
    Nimoy was much more ambitious than Shatner, churning out a mind-boggling five albums of folk, country-western and soft rock covers. Saccharine ballads such as "Sunny" and "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" painfully expose the limitations of Nimoy's earnest baritone as he croons in keys that would make a stuffed dog howl. (Remember how Spock sounded in the throes of a Vulcan mind-meld with the Horta? Put that to music and you get the idea.) To be fair, some of his efforts are admirable. Nimoy's yearning vocal on "Where Is Love" is heart-rending, and he does a pretty fair imitation of Kenny Rogers on "Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town."

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
    (1968, Elektra) stereo; brown label 1st pressing

a lot of favorite songs on this record including Love Street which reminds me of the scenes in the 1991 film with Val Kilmer and Meg Ryan.
    pretty good album, but their first 2 were much better than #3+

saw "The Doors" in '68 (Santa Barbara - $2 ticket) ...I really liked their studio work,
    but LIVE, the opening act (Chambers Bros.) was better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Larry Coryell - Introducing The Eleventh House
    (1974, Vanguard)

w/ Randy Brecker, Alphonse Mouzon. jazz fusion guitar, cooks at a very high temperature.
    ...yard sale pickup today.

After some AC/DC-based break-in time and VTA wanking, the M97xE is sounding a bit better
    on Zappa's "The Man From Utopia"

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1412
Size:  85.3 KB

Seawolf... youtube... "Nimoy Bilbo Baggins"... nuff said.

Larry Coryell - The Essential Larry Coryell
    (1975, Vanguard)

2 LP compilation of late 60s early 70s material including tracks with Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, Elvin Jones, Bob Moses, Billy Cobham, Miroslav Vitous, Ralph Towner. incendiary jazz fusion guitar.

Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    pretty good album, but their first 2 were much better than #3+

saw "The Doors" in '68 (Santa Barbara - $2 ticket) ...I really liked their studio work,
    but LIVE, the opening act (Chambers Bros.) was better

Wow, a $2 concert with the Chambers Bros / the Doors in '68. The Chambers Brothers must have been a lot of fun -- Time Has Come Today Love the cowbell. They sold a lot of records, I think I've got at least two nice copies of this title, but I still drool everytime I see another nice Columbia 2-eye label of it in the $1 bins.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Wow, a $2 concert with the Chambers Bros / the Doors in '68. The Chambers Brothers must have been a lot of fun -- Time Has Come Today Love the cowbell. They sold a lot of records, I think I've got at least two nice copies of this title, but I still drool everytime I see another nice Columbia 2-eye label of it in the $1 bins.
    Yup, the rest of the album , besides TTHCT , is quite good too.

I just looked it up to get the date and found this ..

The Doors played seven gigs in Santa Barbara in the sixties.The group's last local gig was at SBCC's La Playa Stadium on June 28, 1968.

and interestingly (of the local oil platforms)

Local urban legend cites Platform Holly off the coast of Isla Vista as the inspiration for "The Crystal Ship," The Doors' song in which Morrison pines poetically for "one last kiss." The rig, installed in 1966, "used to be called The Crystal Ship back in the day by stoners, hippies or students,"

The date of June 28 is significant as I entered the Navy on 9 April 68 , so that date means it was during post boot camp leave and before "A" school in Monterey. So it was a fresh sailor (couple of days out of NTC) with no hair at that concert (think I wore a ballcap).

Keith Jarrett - The Mourning Of A Star
    (1971, Atlantic) Monarch symbol in the deadwax

w/ Charlie Haden and Paul Motian. includes a cover of Joni Mitchell's All I Want.

Airto - Promises Of The Sun
    (1976, Arista) KENDUN JG in the deadwax; mastering by John Golden at Kendun Studios, Burbank

this record jumps, great production. produced by Flora Purim and Airto. lots of percussion of course and electric, 12 string electric, & acoustic guitar, keyboards, trombone, electric piano, and "the singing snakes"

Thread Information