Page 150 of 721 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250650 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Nancy Wilson / Cannonball Adderley
    (1962, Capitol) Mono pressing w/ Capitol label on top

w/ Joe Zawinul on piano, Nat Adderley on cornet, Louis Hayes, drums, Sam Joenes, bass. alternates between vocal and instrumental songs. first record together after a chance meeting between Cannonball and Nancy Wilson in 1958. "Cannonball's quintet with me filling in as a sort of easy-going third horn on some nice songs that haven't already been 'heard to death' on records" - Nancy. $1.50 yard sale pickup last weekend.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Nancy Wilson / Cannonball Adderley
    (1962, Capitol) Mono pressing w/ Capitol label on top

w/ Joe Zawinul on piano, Nat Adderley on cornet, Louis Hayes, drums, Sam Joenes, bass. alternates between vocal and instrumental songs. first record together after a chance meeting between Cannonball and Nancy Wilson in 1958. "Cannonball's quintet with me filling in as a sort of easy-going third horn on some nice songs that haven't already been 'heard to death' on records" - Nancy. $1.50 yard sale pickup last weekend.
    I've always really liked Nancy's voice & delivery ....ever since the 60's also enjoyed
    "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" by the Buckinghams and was doing net searches on it , which lead me to CA's outstanding live version ....as the opening , Cannonball announces that his pianist Joe wrote the song...there seem to be a few variations on the lyrics.
    nice find.

an excellent condition thrifty find this week for a buck. .
    Agreed...for the cheap type music lover used vinyl is the bomb....for a dollar , you own it for as long as you want...enjoy the tactile experience of LP's....MP3 ? your hard drive dies
    (MTBF sets in) and where did your tunes go ?? thin air.

OK safari yesterday .....Horton should be fun...thought I saw this Chet album a while back ?? Tommy discs were fine condition, even included the center booklet that I'd never seen before....double for 85 cents.

(LATER EDIT) Horton was good tho I noticed that he took some factual liberties with
    "Sink the Bismarck)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Duane Eddy - "Twangin'" Up A Storm!
    (1963, RCA Victor) Stereo pressing

Duane Eddy and The Rebels, featuring the Rebelettes. A $1 thrift store grab this morning. a really stunning sounding early 60s RCA Victor recording.

Nice grabs Seawolf. I think the early Chet records, especially Mono pressings are pretty special. I look for good copies of the Who on the Decca label, they seem to have more depth than the later pressings.

Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction
    (1972, Columbia)

Bass, Charlie Haden; Tenor Sax, Dewey Redmond; Trumpet, Don Cherry. Love the Charlie Haden bass.
    Another dollar find in the thrift bin this morning. still partially in shrink, a very dusty LP but excellent after a serious cleaning session on the VPI 16.5 RCM.

Neil Diamond - Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
    (1969, Uni) 2nd edition alternate cover w/ Sweet Caroline added

Diamond's 4th album, the title track was a top 40 hit. When Sweet Caroline reach #4 as a single, it was added as the last track on a second edition of this record. grabbed this copy from the Half Price Books 50cent shelf a couple of months ago.

Ohio Players - First Impressions
    (1972, Trip) compilation of material recorded in 1968

released by the Trip label to capitalize on the Ohio Players success in the 70s. This is gritty southern soul R&B material here, nothing like the later 70s releases.

The Chieftains - The Chieftains In China
    (1985, Shanachie)

The L.A. Four - Going Home
    (1977, East Wind) Japanese Audiophile Direct Cutting, distributed by Natilus; Mixing engineer: Lee Herschberg

a very nice sounding recording (understatement). w/ a nice gatefold cover, inner liner notes include a list of studio equipment (Crown DC 300A biamped; Westlake TM-1 monitors w/ GAUSS woofer, GAUSS driver + wood horn for mids, and JBL 2420 tweeter) and the mastering system (2 Neuman machines for Lathe, Head, Cutting Amplifier, SAPPHIRE cutting stylus).

Stopped at the thrift on the way home from Fathers Day Mongolian BBQ and picked up this pristine Santana double -nice version of BMW- for 85 cents (a buck minus senior discount)

I look for good copies of the Who on the Decca label, they seem to have more depth than the later pressings.
    like this ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Graham Parker - The Up Escalator
    (1980, Arista) DJ/NFS copy; STERLING in the deadwax, mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, NY

Last record with The Rumour. I can see the comparison to other "new wave" English singer-songwriters, Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello.

Who - Decca label

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Stopped at the thrift on the way home from Fathers Day Mongolian BBQ and picked up this pristine Santana double -nice version of BMW- for 85 cents (a buck minus senior discount)

like this ??
    Happy Fathers Day. Mongolian BBQ is one of the places under consideration for dinner with my kids later today.

Yeah the first US pressings through 1971 are Decca, it's the label on record.

Happy Fathers Day. Mongolian BBQ is one of the places under consideration for dinner with my kids later today.

Yeah the first US pressings through 1971 are Decca, it's the label on record.
    Changs opens at noon on Sunday....by 12:45 the line was too long to go for seconds

Who's Next

I just picked up the masterdisk copy of that one...still holds up well..

from Wiki:

The album cover shows a photograph, taken at Easington Colliery, of the band apparently having just urinated on a large concrete piling protruding from a slag heap. According to photographer Ethan A. Russell, most of the members were unable to urinate, so rainwater was tipped from an empty film canister to achieve the desired effect. The photograph is often seen to be a reference to the monolith discovered on the moon in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, which had been released only about three years earlier.[4] Director Stanley Kubrick had declined to direct the film version of their earlier rock opera Tommy (1975); though the film didn't materialize until the mid-seventies it existed as a plan, and was ultimately directed by Ken Russell. In 2003, the United States cable television channel VH1 named Who's Next's front cover the second greatest album cover of all time.

http://www.vh1.com/photos/gallery/?f...humbnails=true

The Who - Who's Next
    (1971, Decca)

a classic. I remember hearing this entire record played in sequence over the PA system while sitting in festival style seating prior to the start of at least one concert in the early 70s. the memory is hazy for some reason.

The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Deluxe Set
    (1967, Capital)

Thrift find today, too bad it's Duophonic but still a fun grab, LPs in good shape and cleaned up well. Three-LP box set w/ The Beach Boys Today! (1965), Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) (1965), and Pet Sounds (1966), in reverse chronological order. Listening to sides 5/6 - The Beach Boys Today! with Brian Wilson songs like "Please Let Me Wonder" She Knows Me Too Well" "Don't Hurt My Little Sister".

Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance
    (1977, A&M) STERLING TJ & MOX NIX in the deadwax; mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, NYC

a really nice studio album produced by Andy Newmark, includes a great cover of the Rolling Stones "Happy".

Thread Information