Page 15 of 721 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

Why So Worthwhile

Perhaps those of us who find listening to Sun Ra so worthwhile an experience appreciate how the music he and his incredible Arkestra made expanded the bounds of music. What's startling is that the sounds he used to make music were not "electronic," per se, but did what sythesizers and such later sought to do, once they became available. He obviously thought "outside the box," to use one of today's catch-phrases. Things the Arkestra did maybe once have since become whole genres in their own right. For instance, "A House of Beauty," on side two of "The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2," which was recorded in late 1965 and hit the stands in '66 (just think about what was on the radio that year) anticipated the whole "New Age" thing that has since garnered its own section in music stores--but without descending into the syrupy vapidity that characterizes so much of it. He and his music appeal to those receptive to it in a musical way in the manner that science fiction appeals in a literary way--it requires us to put aside preconceptions and think in terms of "what if?"

some from last night's audition

some music from my collection:

Ryuichi Sakamoto: Heartbeat
    Sampler: Three Blind Mice Vol. 1
    Sampler: The Soul of Cape Verde

my favourites:
    1. CD - The Anandha Shankar Experience (1999) - track 2-6-11
    2. LP - Ananda Shankar and his Music 1976 - Vinyl - I bought in South India long before "Bollywood" - fantastic music of a gifted musician who died too early -

John D. Loudermilk: Blue train
    Byron Lee and the Dragonaires: Play dynamite Ska

enjoy the music .....
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    JBL Paragon
    JBL 4435

A. Shankar Question

Was this guy related in any way to Ravi?

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer
    Was this guy related in any way to Ravi?
    He was his nephew. I guess in their faith, "is"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

A. Shankar answer

Thanks, bobputnam--I'm going to have to acquire some of his stuff--it sounds, from the liner notes thoughtfully provided above, like it would be right up my alley. The Anandha Shankar Experience--I wonder if that likeness to The Jimi Hendrix Experience is merely coincidental or what.

Originally written by whizzer

Perhaps those of us who find listening to Sun Ra so worthwhile an experience appreciate how the music he and his incredible Arkestra made expanded the bounds of music. What's startling is that the sounds he used to make music were not "electronic," per se, but did what sythesizers and such later sought to do, once they became available. He obviously thought "outside the box," to use one of today's catch-phrases. Things the Arkestra did maybe once have since become whole genres in their own right. For instance, "A House of Beauty," on side two of "The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2," which was recorded in late 1965 and hit the stands in '66 (just think about what was on the radio that year) anticipated the whole "New Age" thing that has since garnered its own section in music stores--but without descending into the syrupy vapidity that characterizes so much of it. He and his music appeal to those receptive to it in a musical way in the manner that science fiction appeals in a literary way--it requires us to put aside preconceptions and think in terms of "what if?"
    Some time ago, I saw a documentry on TV about the Sun Ra Arkestra. It got my attention immediately and for the entire 2 hours, I even refrained from channel hopping which is rare for me. Even on the crappy TV speakers, I knew I was hearing something remarkable. Some of the music grabbed me immediately and some of it, I believed required more listening or listening under better circumstances. I grabbed one of the CDs from the 60s and I liked parts of it, but probably due to my own shortcomings, I found it to be inconsistant. Maybe, someone can suggest a CD for someone one who is curious, but hasn't quite gotten it.

RIP 2009
    Back in the 80's I had a Sun Ra cassette tape that I absolutely loved, but can't remember the title. It was later stolen from my car, (along with a great selection of other albums...).

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha

Some time ago, I saw a documentry on TV about the Sun Ra Arkestra. It got my attention immediately and for the entire 2 hours, I even refrained from channel hopping which is rare for me... Maybe, someone can suggest a CD for someone one who is curious, but hasn't quite gotten it.
    Firstly, I wish I'd seen that! Any idea what network it was on?

The Arkestra had (and is having) a long evolution and changed the style of many compositions in performance as time went on. You might love an earlier recording of a piece and find a later performance incomprehensible. Sun Ra was responsible for as many musical innovations as Les Paul has been for technical and recording ones. For what it's worth, I had to expose my ears to a lot of free jazz for months and months before I had the "Eureka!" moment. Suddenly, I got it. Suddenly, I could hear it. I guess I'm a slow learner. Now I actually listen to heavy jazz to relax and wind down, because it makes me so happy.

One very early album before the "wilder" free jazz period is called Jazz In Silhouette (Evidence 22012 - I got it recently at Barnes & Noble no less!). The liner notes are good and it does make a great introduction. I listen to it all the time. Late at night, lights out, I put this on and punch track 4 - "Ancient Aiethopia." If I don't have time to listen to anything else, I am still satisfied. I've had my fix.

Some useful web sites:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Ra
    http://www.thesunraarkestra.com/
    http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/
    The links at the first entry will get you where you want to go, but I have included two for convenience.

You will find that Arkestra recordings were almost beyond number, but Saturn disks were not widely distributed, and were often not very hi-fi. Evidence records and others have done an amazing job of cleaning them up. Sun Ra was probably the first to record and distribute his own music, but that meant pressings of 75 vinyl copies for sale at performances.

John, the discography links might ring a bell with the title you "donated" to the criminal element.
    http://www.astroblack.com/ Chronological and Alphabetical lists are available. A shorter list is in the Wikipedia article.

Enjoy, Clark

PS The inconsistent element was partially due to the Arkestra playing so many styles of music at the same gig or recording session. I imagine not many people would enjoy everything at a performance. The few sermons I've heard were fun, though. I need to get his book.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Clark, thanks for the info, this is something I've wanted to do.

My best guess about the Sun Ra TV thing is that it was on PBS. It has been quite a while since I saw this, but one of the reasons I didn't channel hop is that there probably weren't any commercials. Good luck catching up with it, it was very good.

Victory At Sea

I have a fifties mono vinyl, but these are the BMG 1992 CD reissues Victory At Sea and More Victory At Sea.

These would appeal to symphonic and soundtrack listeners. Victory At Sea was a 1952-1953 documentary series; some say the best tv documentary ever. It involves the United States and other Allied Navy and Merchant Marine operations in the Pacific, Atlantic and Mediteranean in WWII. Television was very new and was trying to come up with programming besides wrestling and comedy. Boy, did they uncork one. They tapped Richard Rogers (of Rogers and Hammerstein and Rogers and Hart) to compose the score, and he phenomenally overachieved the intentions and expectations of the project. Robert Russell Bennett arranged the score and conducted the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. The result is stirring, sad, spooky and entertaining.

While the music stands alone and should be enjoyed from the recordings, I admit my appreciation of the music must be colored by the impact the documentary has had on me. It is a childhood memory as surely as Science Fiction Theater is. I watched it in reruns through the years and was more impressed with each viewing. Now, after a long drought, it is on DVD in dump bins for three (ShopKo) to six (WalMart) dollars. The entire series. It is a unique presentation, the script, editing, naration and music designed not so much to educate as to stir the soul. The Navy and Marine Corps band still plays Victory at Sea, I am told. I know art must stand on it's own, but familiarity with the series will greatly enhance the impact of the music, giving it context beyond entertainment. I'm a tough old bird, but I tear up when I hear or see this. It is not about celebration, it is about sacrifice and suffering in the cause of freedom for those at home. And it comes across in the music.

Clark in Peoria

Hi Clark in Peoria,

They must have sold a jillion of the Victory at Sea soundtrack LPs, as I have encountered them frequently in my thrift shop raids. I have never seen the series, but will certainly look for the DVDs based on your comments.

Your impassioned and knowledgeable reviews just knock me out. Have you considered writing as a profession?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    Hi Clark in Peoria,

Your impassioned and knowledgeable reviews just knock me out. Have you considered writing as a profession?
    Thank you, Steve, that is really something coming from you. The sad truth is that I can only write about what I am impassioned about. Writing as a profession involves sitting at the keyboard and pounding out work whether the task at hand sets you on fire or not. I enjoy posting here because, unlike my family and friends, the members are not all bored by my musings. Just most of them! At least the rest of the members can save on sleeping pills when I post.

Thank you so very much, Clark

RIP 2009
    The Victory at Sea series used to be shown regularly on the Discovery channel but I haven't noticed it in a couple years. It's more lkely to show up on the History or Military channels now. I, too, always enjoyed watching them, but at the time, was not aware of the significance of the soundtrack music.

John

I grew up with my dads copy of Victory on vinyl and loved it. When Telarc released their Victory at Sea by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops, I snatched it up like hotcakes, because it also contained marches and other music from several other war movies. I REALLY wanted a copy of Goodwin's end theme from The Battle of Britain, and got it (though mis-labled as the main theme) and others on this disk, including Goldsmith's Patton and MacAurthur main themes (though truncated into a suite).

To add to that, I think this was the first product where Telarc abandoned some of its "straight wire" recording philosophy and created one with a less boxy sound, probably using classic mics or a pinch of EQ. Marvy.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

I should have mentioned that you will never forget the voice of narrator Leonard Graves.

It is so nice to see this great work appreciated here. There are some comments and reviews on IMDB here:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046658/

Here is a website devoted to the series: http://victoryatseaonline.com/

Clark

Thread Information