Page 149 of 721 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249649 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Lee Hazlewood - The Very Special World Of Lee Hazlewood
    (1966, MGM)

producer for Duane Eddy, Nancy Sinatra, and others. singing his own compositions, including "These Boots Are Made For Walking". Deep baritone, quirky lyrics delivered deadpan. fun stuff.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Various Artists - Off 2 Hallucinations Psychedelic Underground
    (1969, Twen-Metronome/Elektra) KMLP 310; German pressing

$1 yard sale pickup this morning. a REALLY interesting compilation w/ a gatefold cover, & double fold-out posters. Cleaned up well and plays nicely. commentary from the web:
    "Contains groups such as "MC5", "The Doors", "The Incredible String Band", etc. There were several versions of covers printed. The "KMLP 310" contains a fold out poster with information and photos about each group on the disc. The other versions were single fold sleeves with no poster, with one version made for the "Deutscher Schallplattenclub" (H 895/5). All of these discs were printed and pressed in Germany and were made for "promotional use only". These Elektra Master discs are EXTREMELY difficult to locate."

Vanessa Paradis - M & J
    (1987, Polydor)

debut record with English language songs included w/ the French songs. Title track M & J "Marilyn and John" refers to Marilyn Monroe, who Paradis admired.
    Nice pop production and nice delivery by Paradis.

Esther Phillips - Alone Again, Naturally
    (1972, Kudu) VAN GELDER in the deadwax, Rudy Van Gelder - engineer

w/ Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, George Benson, Eric Gale, Hank Crawford, Maceo Parker.

Stupid Dream

Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream (1999) DVD-A
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
    (1969, Fantasy)

CCR's second LP. I passed on several excellent CCR titles today in a collection that I ran across at a thrift store because I already have them. So...of course I have to check to make sure I have good copies. This one sounds great, love the early Creedence R&B swamp rock. I need to go back and get the original label Cosmos Factory, I have a later issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Country Joe and The Fish - Electric Music For Mind And Body
    (1967, Vanguard)

debut album from this SF in 1967, what a GREAT record, this stereo pressing on Vanguard gold label sounds wonderful with layered shimmering and wailing guitars, vocals and keyboards/organs all separate and distinct in the mix. trippy.
    I really enjoyed that one also , have 2 or 3 copies

Various Artists - Off 2 Hallucinations Psychedelic Underground
    (1969, Twen-Metronome/Elektra) KMLP 310; German pressing
    that one looks like fun..

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
    (1969, Fantasy) This one sounds great, love the early Creedence R&B swamp rock. I need to go back and get the original label Cosmos Factory, I have a later issue.
    cant have too much CCR the really hard one to find is "Chooglin" ....its like the Holy Grail for CCR aficionados ...it was a limited pressing on virgin vinyl by the masterwork process. There are only 5 tracks on the album ...all 5 the long versions...grapevine, susie-q, etc....very hard to find info about this album on the web (doesnt even show up in Wiki's CCR discography)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I notice that you dont use a record clamp on the old vinyl.....I read abt them in catalogs, but wasn't going to put out $30-200 on one....so made my own...one is an old counter weight..the other is a hockey puck (now has a JBL label on it) , have used big rubber JBL subwoofer (china made ones) feet....anyway, you would be surprised on how much it flattens a record that already looks flat ,,,,and now the groove is more aligned to the stylus...

the counter weight one is centered with an old 45 rpm adapter...EZ.
    Hey SeaWolf, nice work. I've seen hockey pucks and counter weights used. I have used a Michell record clamp on other tables, but use a Herbie's Way Excellent II turntable mat on advice from my turntable guy who set up the Goldring Maestro on my Thorens, recomended the Pro-ject Tube Box II phono pre, etc. He said use the mat, forget about a clamp on the Thorens. The mat seems to work really well with the the Maestro MC cartridge. was $60 but nothing is too good for the LPs especially with the $500+$700 sunk in the phono stage. well regarded, here's the blurb on it:

Made from finely textured, open-cell silicone foam, this mat has unsurpassed vibration-absorbing characteristics and no resonant qualities to discolor the music. Records are thoroughly decoupled from unwanted platter vibration.
    A black elastomer "donut" on top of the white foam base reduces vinyl/stylus feedback and eliminates lateral slippage. Unique qualities allow the vinyl to "give" slightly, microscopically, to stylus contact, allowing the record groove to be tracked smoothly and accurately. Completely non-tacky, records lift right off the mat, while the underlying foam sticks firmly to the platter (records can be lifted off while the platter is turning). Available in a variety of thicknesses and diameters to fit almost any turntable.
    You've Got to Hear it!

"Outperforms virtually any other mat available."--Robert Stein, The Cable Company

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

cant have too much CCR the really hard one to find is "Chooglin" ....its like the Holy Grail for CCR aficionados ...it was a limited pressing on virgin vinyl by the masterwork process. There are only 5 tracks on the album ...all 5 the long versions...grapevine, susie-q, etc....very hard to find info about this album on the web (doesnt even show up in Wiki's CCR discography)
    CCR is a great mashup of American music traditions, up there with the Dead in my books. Good music to play on Independence Day.

Looks like the Chooglin' title is a Fantasy compilation of previously released material, published in 1982 according to the Goldmine guide. Last Fantasy release, they were milking the catalog, with CCR long gone. Maybe there was a special pressing along with a regular run? Goldmine just puts low average values on it...$4 in VG+. chooglin' is a fun swamp rock song on the Bayou Country record.

Jim Hall/Ron Carter Duo - Alone Together
    (1973, Milestone)

Recorded live at the "Jazz Adventures" concert at the Playboy club, NYC August '72. A garage sale $1 grab last weekend, one of three nice Jim Hall records that I ran across.

Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special
    (1978, Private Stock) Canadian pressing

...features The Jordanaires, who had been background vocalists for Elvis Presley.

Nancy Sinatra - How Does That Grab You?
    (1966, Reprise)

Produced by Lee Hazlewood, with several of his compositions including the title track. ...checking out my copy of this record, because I passed on a nice one at the thrifts yesterday.

Esther Phillips - Alone Again, Naturally
    (1972, Kudu) VAN GELDER in the deadwax, Rudy Van Gelder - engineer

w/ Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, George Benson, Eric Gale, Hank Crawford, Maceo Parker.
    I am guessing that with that lineup the band was pretty good?

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The Doors - L.A. Woman
    (1971, Elektra) SRC signature in the deadwax, Specialty Records Corporation pressing plant; 1983 pressing w/ Red & Black label

an excellent condition thrifty find this week for a buck. w/ Marc Benno, rhythm guitar.

Esther Phillips LP on KUDU label

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I am guessing that with that lineup the band was pretty good?

Clark
    Yes, REALLY nice session work (and recording) to complement Phillips vocals.

I think this was her first Kudu title, during one of her unsuccessful attempts to kick a deadly heroin habit.

Thread Information