Page 148 of 721 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248648 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Clear Light - self titled
    (1967, Elektra)

I grabbed this copy a couple of years ago at a garage sale in less than optimal shape - ring wear and split seams on the cover and a few unplayable tracks from scratches but other tracks cleaned up well after a second cleaning on the RCM and these play well. Great playing and interesting lyrics. With a deluxe label / band logo as Elektra did for other bands like Love and The Doors.

Dallas Taylor, later with CSNY, plays here. from the back cover:

"To fully appreciate the spectacular sound of double drumming in Clear Light, play this record at high volume."
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Johnny Nash - Hold Me Tight
    (1968, JAD)

three years before Nash's #1 hit single "I Can See Clearly Now" he had a #5 hit single with "Hold Me Tight" and it's certainly recognizable to anyone who was listening to radio in the 60s. What's different is hearing it now in high fidelity versus the AM transistor radio at the beach. Recorded on the JAD label co-founded by Nash in New York in 1965, this is record sounds really nice. Includes a couple of Peter Tosh songs and a nice cover of Felix Caviliere's Groovin'.

did another 7 miler ....there are 10 stores that sell used vinyl within my normal riding radius....running in to lots of Peter Gabriel lately..this is a 45 RPM LP
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Illinois Speed Press - Duet
    (1970, Columbia)

2nd record from this R&B and country music influenced rock band out of Chicago. House band for awhile at the Whiskey A Go Go in LA, toured w/ Steppenwolf, Chicago, and Poco. Paul Cotton and Kal David, twin lead guitars, featured on the cover. Cotton went on to play with Poco, and David joined with Harvey Brooks to form Fabulous Rhinestones. This 2-eye sounds fantastic, with a lot of hard driving driving guitar-based instrumental playing. Cover photos by SF Rock photographer Herb Greene. I picked this up in a huge, mostly rock collection a couple of years ago, came across it yesterday while doing some sorting in the basement.

Melton, Levy, and The Dey Bros. - self titled
    (1972, Columbia)

Barry "the fish" Melton guitarist and co-founder of Country Joe and The Fish. Co-produced by Michael Bloomfield who also plays on it, including a guitar duet with Melton. Another great sounding Columbia recording. Melton's words from his website discography: "The album was recorded at Columbia Recording Studios in San Francisco and Los Angeles, has some really fine production values, and it features several of my songs along with some Rick Dey classics that should not be lost in the march of time."

Country Joe and The Fish - Electric Music For Mind And Body
    (1967, Vanguard)

debut album from this SF in 1967, what a GREAT record, this stereo pressing on Vanguard gold label sounds wonderful with layered shimmering and wailing guitars, vocals and keyboards/organs all separate and distinct in the mix. trippy.

Dire straits

live at the BBC
    Yong and unpolished 1978.

Name:  BBC.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  11.8 KB

Dave Edmunds - Twangin'
    (1981, Swan Song) "A Porky Prime Cut" in the deadwax, mastered by George Peckham

with "Nicky Lowe" on bass; last song on the record, "Baby Let's Play House", was recorded in 1968. A nice sounding record, the bass and drums are very prominent on a lot of tracks. I seem to like anything and everything by Lowe and Edmunds.

Nick Lowe - Pure Pop For Now People
    (1978, Columbia) "Columbia NY" in the deadwax

original UK release titled "Jesus Of Cool"; debut solo record for Lowe while producing Elvis Costello's initial records. this record is Pure Pop or "Pop about pop" as Allmusic reviewer (5 stars) puts it.

Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes - Call Of The Wild
    (1973, Discreet) "MASTERDISK RL" in the deadwax, mastered by Robert Ludwig

This is a lot more interesting and fun than I thought it would be, based on previous exposure to solo titles like Cat Scratch Fever from "the nuge". it's metal boogie riff-land but interesting. I think I need to track down some earlier Amboy Dukes LPs.

Pentangle - Cruel Sister
    (1970, Reprise) Canadian pressing

all tracks are arrangements of traditional folk songs. A wonderful sounding record with each instrument and vocals clear in the mix. I listened to the first track, "A maid that's deep in love", on a couple of very different speakers (Carver Amazing Originals - planar, JBL 4430 studio monitors - bi-radial horn). The underlying rhythm on the track is on appalachian dulcimer by Bert Jansch. Stunning on both speakers, shimmering on the Amazings, more depth on the 4430s but I think my room placement favors these. Lots of fun with the new phono cartridge.

Calliope - Steamed
    (1968, Buddah)

Danny O' Keefe's Seattle based psychedelic band before he started a solo career in the early 70s ("Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues"). Luther Rabb also played with Calliope, although not on this early title.

Today was the first 80 degree day in Portland since Sept '09..dusted off the summer bike and made the tour du vi-nal in Gresham since SA was half price..stopped at the flea market and GW too....very nice ride....$7 for all.

Looks like its relive the 60's again days with , TYA & Volunteers , Kooper & Bloomfield double, Clapton double, a better copy of WAR than what I have, Led Zeppelin....

and the Honeydrippers ( 1984 )
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Pink Floyd - Relics
    (1971, Harvest) MASTERED BY CAPITOL GENE in the deadwax; mastered by Gene Thompson

A bunch of tracks from 1967-1969. I was pleased to spot and grab this from a box at a random neighborhood garage sale this morning.

Booker T. And The MGs - The Booker T. Set
    (1969, Stax) -1A / -1B

The southern soul quartet w/ their instrumental covers of some classics. another $1 gsale pickup this morning.

Thread Information