Page 145 of 721 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245645 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Camel - Rain Dances
    (1977, Passport) STERLING in the deadwax

Fifth release from the British progressive band, this one has a Brian Eno appearance, and Richard Sinclair from Carvan joins on Bass. good stuff.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Charlie Byrd - Byrdland
    (1966, Columbia)

Some nice covers here including John Lennon's Girl, Samba De Orpheus, and Theme From Mr. Lucky. Produced by Teo Macero who also plays tenor.

Various Artists - Burbank
    (1972, Warner Bros) Promo / NFS

another fun 70s record label sampler, 2 LPs. includes cuts from Tower of Power, Curved Air, Alice Cooper, John Cale, T. Rex, The Meters, Jimi Hendrix, Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan, Captain Beyond, Bob Weir, John Fahey, Deep Purple, John Renbourn, Geoff and Maria Muldaur.

picked up "Mystery to Me" a while back and somehow made a great connection to it (like Cricklewood Green"). wanted better quality than mp3 and was happy to find the CD at our library yesterday...got out and did 7 miles on the Trek today and what did I find ??? a fine condition LP copy of it for $1...

the waterline horizon in the cover pic seems to have moved when released on CD ?
    I must be dense as the cover pic means nothing to me...
    looked it up and was rated as one of the worst album covers ever

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...strated-208902

Emerald Eyes
    Hypnotized
    and many other fine tunes.....SW recommended
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Emerald Eyes
    Hypnotized
    and many other fine tunes.....SW recommended
    Exactly! Mid period Fleetwood Mac - just excellent stuff!
    Recommend you track down "Future Games" (1971) - kind of a psychedelic blues sound ... or "Bare Trees" (1972) - its another fine album from that early-mid period ... Mystery to me is '73 - so they all kind of flow together ...
    They had many years of being a fine band before the whole Buckingham Nicks business transpired.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Various Artists - The Rock Machine Turns You On
    (1968, Columbia) UK pressing

One of the first bargain priced sampler LPs, this one was apparently released by Columbia in a number of european countries in 1968. includes tracks from Dylan, Moby Grape, Spirit, Leonard Cohen, The Zombies, The Byrds, United States of America, The Electric Flag.

Deep Purple - self titled
    (1969, Tetragrammaton)

cool Hieronymus Bosch cover painting w/ gatefold packaging in this US pressing - purple and white with black text on inner gatefold.
    progressive classical psych arrangements here.

Took the long "Tour du Gresham" today on the TREK...half price weekend at SA...
    went thru abt 500 records and only found this Felicano double and Stevie Wonder.

Was getting up to leave when the clerk brought in abt 100 more and I found these other 4
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession
    (1968, Columbia)

A nice sounding Columbia 2-eye first pressing w/ lyric insert. Laura Nyro's second album is a showcase for her distinct songwriting and arranging talent with elements of blue eyed soul, jazz, gospel, pop, rock. She premiered some of the songs at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival.

Various artists - Easy Rider Music From The Soundtrack
    (1969, Dunhill)

RIP Dennis Hopper.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin - The Inner Mounting Flame
    (1971, Columbia)

w/ John McLaughlin on the double-necked electric guitar; Billy Cobham, drums; Jan Hammer, keyboards; Rick Laird, Bass. Furiously paced, this is an all-out virtuoso jazz/rock assault from McLaughlin and Cobham. Like the original Hendrix titles, this sounds as good to me today as it did when released.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Red Rose Speedway
    (1973, The Grammaphone/Apple) STERLING and winchester logo in the deadwax; US pressing w/ bound-in booklet

One of my favorite McCartney LPs, a great collection of pop tunes and rockers.

Chicago - Chicago II
    (1970, Columbia) KGP 24 - label and cover spine title is "Chicago", later pressings are "Chicago II"

Listening to sides 3 and 4. This is a wonderful sounding heavy vinyl "two-eye" Columbia pressing. Terry Kath is a monster on the electric guitar.
    Note on the inner cover credits --- "Producers Note: This endeavor should be experienced sequentially."

Atomic Rooster - Atomic Rooster IV
    (1973, Elektra)

This is one of those US releases that I think is a compilation or retitle from previous UK titles. includes Vincent Crane, keyboards, who along with Carl Palmer, formed Atomic Rooster in 1969 after leaving The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Exactly! Mid period Fleetwood Mac - just excellent stuff!
    Recommend you track down "Future Games" (1971) - kind of a psychedelic blues sound ... or "Bare Trees" (1972) - its another fine album from that early-mid period ... Mystery to me is '73 - so they all kind of flow together ...
    They had many years of being a fine band before the whole Buckingham Nicks business transpired.
    Ditto Exactly.

Future Games and Bare Trees are both split between the new Bob Welch music, a blend of his Soul band experience and his new found ability to write lyrics, and Danny Kirwan's Blues background. Kirwan and Christine McVie had stepped up on Kiln House after the loss of Peter Green. And now Jeremy Spencer was gone as well. Hear Danny's searing guitar work on "Morning Rain," still one of my favorite tracks. He also plays riffs and solos influenced by Nashville or The Shadows' Hank B. Marvin. Kirwan is a memorable talent, but he never plays anymore.

I doubt that the Peter Green era band was ever topped, but I consider the Buckingham-Nicks band to be the musical low point. I am not waiting for their next tour. I saw the 1975 tour and that was good enough for me. I went to hear Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer open, really.

Good times were to be found all around Mystery To Me, including Bob Weston's crack slide work on "Remember Me." Unfortunately Weston was also sleeping with Mick Fleetwood's wife and his departure left the album without tour support. And without sales. This album is flanked by Penguin and Heroes Are Hard To Find, both worth a look.

There have been bright spots since. In the mid 1990s FM boasted Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlett, two huge talents. (Cop a listen to the playing on the intro music here: http://www.dave-mason.com/home.html ) One album, Time.

(Not long ago here in Peoria a Blues Festival was well attended by young listeners. They came to hear bands they knew and were dismissive when a balding old man stepped up to the bandstand. Dave Mason then blew everyone, on stage and off, away. Totally.)

Recently, The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band sounded pretty good.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information