Page 144 of 721 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244644 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Rod Stewart / Faces Live - Coast To Coast - Overture And Beginners
    (1973, Mercury) G.K. in the deadwax, mastered by Gilbert Kong

another estate sale pickup last weekend. Really nice sounding live recording, the drums really stand out and have a lot of punch. The early Rod / Faces stuff rocks.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Frank Sinatra / Count Basie - It Might As Well Be Swing
    (1964, Reprise) Mono pressing

a $1 lunchtime pickup today from a guy selling a basement full of (mostly hammered, sadly) records; radio station copy in great shape. Produced by Quincy Jones, great songs and arrangements here including I Believe In You from the _How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying_ musical.

Wilson Pickett - Mr. Magic Man
    (1973, RCA)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    just a few plays of other Todd records. I listened to Runt on CD last night, was totally blown away by much of it
    well, sooner or later we had to disagree....cant stand TR

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post

a $1 lunchtime pickup today from a guy selling a basement full of (mostly hammered, sadly) records;
    aint it a bitch when you find a long sought after album, open it up and.....Scratch City ... found some today that had great jackets, but the vinyl looks like it had been drug behind a truck on a long rope...cross country

Did grab a decent copy of WAR - Deliver the Word....notable for the 11:35 Gypsy Man
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Neil Young - American Stars 'n Bars
    (1977, Reprise)

w/ Crazy Horse and "The Stray Bullets" credited on the label - I assume that refers to the Linda Ronstadt, EmmyLou Harris and Nicolette Larson, background - seems like their sweet voices are on every track. from wikipedia: The album cover was designed by Young's friend, actor Dean Stockwell, and features Connie Moskos keeled over with a bottle of Canadian whiskey in her hand and an intoxicated Young with his face pressed against the glass floor.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    well, sooner or later we had to disagree....cant stand TR

aint it a bitch when you find a long sought after album, open it up and.....Scratch City ... found some today that had great jackets, but the vinyl looks like it had been drug behind a truck on a long rope...cross country

Did grab a decent copy of WAR - Deliver the Word....notable for the 11:35 Gypsy Man
    Nice pickup, great record. Those guys cook. I wish I'd seen them in concert.

well, different horses for different courses
    ....not even the hits? I Saw The Light; We Gotta Get You a Woman.

I wonder what it takes to make records look as bad as some of them do. Even stored outside of a jacket, stacked and rubbed against other records or in one of those terrible wire rack things, I think it would be hard to do the damage we see on some copies. It's almost like someone took them out to the concrete driveway and rubbed them across the surface for a few minutes before dropping them off at the thrift store. I hate to see old records thrown away, but the ones that are scratched to hell should go straight to the dumpster, imo. There are enough VG+ copies of most good titles that I don't look twice at scratched up records, but there sure are a boatload of them in circulation for some reason.

Wilson Pickett - The Wicked Pickett
    (1966, Atlantic) Mono pressing

The Beach Boys - Friends
    (1968, Capitol)

Matthew's Southern Comfort - Later That Same Year
    (1971, Decca) US pressing

Ian Matthew's band after leaving Fairport Convention. Great covers of Woodstock and Neil Young's Tell Me Why, along with other nice sounding folk/country rock including 3 of Matthew's songs. one of those finds where the cover is worn, no inner sleeve but the LP is inexplicably in excellent shape.

Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf 7
    (1970, ABC/Dunhill)

This one starts the assault with "Ball Crusher" on track 1 and demands to be turned up loud with a song titled "Earschplittenloudenboomer". I like John Kay's writing and not just the "Don't Step On The Grass, Sam" or "Pusherman" from earlier Steppenwolf records. This is a nice quiet copy that cleaned up well on the VPI 16.5, and it's probably an upgrade over my other copy.
    This is one of those records, like ELP Tarkus, Led Zeppelin 1, or Hendrix Are You Experienced, that is completely trashed 9 times out of 10 when found at garage sales or thrift stores. I know why...I had a friend in high school who had this record...was played to death in harsh conditions.

Steppenwolf - The Second
    (1968, EMI/Stateside) UK pressing

"released by Dunhill Records in the USA". really nice pressing, it's kind of jolting to hear a Steppenwolf record with the fidelity of a European import instead of the typical US treatment, about as good as it gets. w/ Tighten Up Your Wig, Don't Step On the Grass, Sam, Magic Carpet Ride

Steppenwolf is one of those groups that scream "60's" , tho much of their music holds up well ..they were on one of those PBS tribute to the 60's shows last year, Kay is still belting it out as well as ever.

have been entertained by Fleetwood Mac lately....that tells you very little without the qualifiers of early / mid / late/ pop/blues or even the personnel that were recording ...I'm finding the early and bluesey quite fun. Just picked up their discography on mp3...4..6GB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

John McLaughlin - Belo Horizonte
    (1981, Warner Bros) STERLING in the deadwax, mastered by George Marino, Sterling Sound NYC

recorded in Paris - lots of french names in the list of accompanying musicians. some synthesizers used, it's an early 80s recording after all, but the guitar playing and other real instruments are the stars. w/ Paco De Lucia on one track. A version of Very Early "(Homage to Bill Evans)".

Nina Simone - Let It All Out
    (1966, Phillips) Mono pressing; "rr" in the deadwax

recorded in '64 and '65. Simone's fifth record with Phillips. what a voice, and some serious piano chops, backed by bass, drums, guitar and flute. Includes a cover of Dylan's The Ballad Of Hollis Brown.
    picked up for a buck at an estate sale last weekend which featured 7 boxes of excellent condition 50s 60s jazz and easy listening records. Hats off to the former owner.

Sonny Stitt - Pow!
    (1965, Prestige) VAN GELDER in the deadwax; Mono pressing

w/ Benny Green trombone; Stitt on Alto sax. Great playing here, the two playing together is something else, w/ a good backing from piano, bass and drums.

Thread Information