Page 136 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236636 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Shirley Scott - On A Clear Day
    (1968, ABC Impulse!) VAN GELDER in the deadwax

w/ Ron Carter, bass; Jimmy Cobb, drums; recorded 1966. Shirley Scott gives Jimmy Smith a run for the jazz organist money in my books.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    This album is by the two main songwriters of the Moody Blues--Justin Hayward and John Lodge. Great sounding recording from 1975 with full orchestra-- it's one of the best Moodies (solo or group) outings IMHO....
    thats one of the 28 that I got Monday...

got out yesterday and couldnt resist these as they were in great shape for 85 cents each.... thats Barry White's GH , the thrift clerk told me I can put it on the TT and get any woman ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Here is the $7 stack... dark blue tags were 4 for $1

and lastly

Dire Straits - Self Titled
    (1978, Warner Bros)

I've heard Sultans Of Swing too many times and suffer from overexposure, but the rest of this record is uncharted territory. I've managed to avoid the demos with non-stop Dire Straits and Diana Krall playing I guess. Wonderful production and the signature Knopfler guitar picking here.

Scott Lindenmuth Group

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    and lastly
    Wow, I didn't think I'd see another copy of that LP in the wild. I have that on cassette and LP. He is a local, i.e. basically in the neighborhood north of Seattle, and I've seen him perform a few times through the years, still does local venues and "bite of Seattle" things. A few years ago at an outdoor festival he did one of those Jeff Beck tracks from Blow By Blow, I think it was Freeway Jam. Love the cover art here.

Ten Years After - A Space In Time
    (1971, Columbia)

Paul McCartney - Ram
    (1971, Apple)

Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
    (1973, Capitol)

produced by Todd Rundgren; classic turn it up title track -- "smokin' Chiquita's in Omaha"

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Ten Years After - A Space In Time
    (1971, Columbia)
    What can you say about this LP besides ..."DesertIslandDisk" ???

sounds so good that the remaster is rare...

Edgar Froese - Aqua
    (1974, Brain) German pressing

TYA - A Space In Time

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    What can you say about this LP besides ..."DesertIslandDisk" ???

sounds so good that the remaster is rare...
    great record.

Dave Mason - Headkeeper
    (1972, Blue Thumb) Artisan symbol in the deadwax, mastered by Bob MacLeod at Artisan sound recorders.

w/ Graham Nash, Rita Coolidge, Spencer Davis. really like this record, well produced and a favorite period in the Mason discography.

The Sons Of Champlin - Loosen Up Naturally
    (1969, Capitol)

double LP gatefold; somewhere in the cover drawing the original cover has a 4 letter word "f" with subsequent runs either crossed out or airbrushed out, according to Goldmine. There's lots of buried text in the drawing, don't know where to look and I don't see it, although I do see spot with a crossed-out mouth on the inside cover drawing.

It's A Beautiful Day - Self Titled
    (1969, Columbia)

doing a shoot-out between my Columbia 2-eyes copy and a very clean 70s pressing that I picked up yesterday at an audio gathering near Portland. Great record, both copies play great, the newer one is silent, the older one has some light surface noise. The first pressing is typical thick heavy vinyl.

I didn't know the band had a connection to Seattle - interesting story on wikipedia about the Seattle rain being inspiration for White Bird:

The group's original manager, Matthew Katz, had previously worked with Jefferson Airplane and Moby Grape. The members of It's a Beautiful Day were unaware that the other two groups were already trying to end their business relationships with Katz. During 1967 and early 1968 Katz prevented It's a Beautiful Day from performing in San Francisco, telling them they were not ready. He booked their first public appearances at a club he controlled in Seattle, Washington formerly known as the Encore Ballroom. Katz renamed the club "San Francisco Sound". While in Seattle the group lived in the attic of an old house owned by Katz while writing and rehearsing new songs in between club performances. Few customers came to the club during It's a Beautiful Day's engagement in Seattle during December 1967.
    The group's signature song "White Bird" was inspired by the experiences David and Linda LaFlamme had while living in Seattle. In an ironic twist on the band's name, the sad song was partly inspired by Seattle's rainy winter weather. In a later interview, David LaFlamme said:
    "Where the 'white bird' thing came from ... We were like caged birds in that attic. We had no money, no transportation, the weather was miserable. We were just barely getting by on a very small food allowance provided to us. It was quite an experience, but it was very creative in a way."[1]

The Pointer Sisters - Self Titled
    (1973, Blue Thumb)

debut album w/ 60's R&B, boogie blues, jazz, those killer harmonies, and an amazing cover of Alan Toussaint's Yes We Can.

The Byrds - The Byrds Greatest Hits
    (1967, Columbia) 2-eyes 360 Sound original pressing

I ran across three copies of this record in one of my unsorted piles - the other two are 70s reissues. I think I have the mono version in the shelves. I wanted to play some Byrds after the Roger McGuinn solo. This looks pristine and plays wonderfully. It's interesting that a Greatest Hits record was released just three years after the band was formed, but they were busy and had lots of hits in those years with David Crosby and Gene Clark. They sold more of this album than any other, so it's not hard to find out there but worth grabbing if you find a clean one.

Thread Information