Page 133 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down The Wind
    (1976, Elektra/Asylum)

A great collection of songs starting with the Warren Zevon title track, and the two Karla Bonoff songs. It's hard to pick with so many good ones, but I think this and Prisoner In Disguise are my favorite Linda LPs.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Yes - Self Titled
    (1969, Atlantic)

debut album with Anderson, Squire and Bruford. The signature Yes sound is here with Squire's bass playing and Bruford's drumming.
    This record must have a been an eye opener in 1969. includes a great cover of a McGuinn/Crosby psychedelic tune - I See You.

Dave Mason - Alone Together
    (1970, Blue Thumb) Artisan symbol in the deadwax

w/ Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett, Leon Russell, Jim Capaldi, Rita Coolidge, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon; debut record for Mason after playing with Traffic.
    I've always enjoyed Mason's songs, singing and playing on stuff like - World In Changes & Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave.

Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
    (1970, Deram/London) Bell Sound in the deadwax

recorded in 1969 at Olympic Studio 1 with Andy Johns, engineer; lightning guitar playing from Alvin Lee w/ bluesy songs and a thundering rhythm section. inspired by seawolf

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
    (1970, Deram/London) Bell Sound in the deadwax

recorded in 1969 at Olympic Studio 1 with Andy Johns, engineer; lightning guitar playing from Alvin Lee w/ bluesy songs and a thundering rhythm section. inspired by seawolf
    Glad to inspire...that album was good on first listen, but got better on repeated tries....50,000 miles, love like a man , working on the road, the sun still burns are the real standouts .....

Got in some 2 wheeled miles yesterday (and headed back out today) and came up with Nana, Justin and Marilyn...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Chocolate Kings
    (1975, Asylum)

tasty Italian progressive rock.

Equipment provided by: JBL, Zildjian

Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
    (1976, Warner Bros) Winchester rifle symbol in the deadwax = Capitol Records' Winchester, VA pressing plant

listening to an old favorite while trying out a pass-around pair of 12ax7 tubes in the Onix SP3 amp - TJ Full Music tubes. They sound nice.

Billy Cobham, Steve Kahn, Alphonso Johnson, Tom Scott - ALIVEMUTHERFORYA
    (1978, Columbia)

recorded during US tour dates November/December 1977. a really nice live recording with thundering drums and bass.
    "dedicated to fusicians everywhere"

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    (1976, Elektra/Asylum)

A great collection of songs starting with the Warren Zevon title track, and the two Karla Bonoff songs. It's hard to pick with so many good ones, but I think this and Prisoner In Disguise are my favorite Linda LPs.
    I have most of LR's disc's (including the boxset, Mexican canciones, and Nelson Riddle collaborations ) and think I agree that Prisoner In Disguise is prolly the "go to" one when I need a Linda fix...

found it interesting how she brought up a new group in the early 70's who got exposure as her opener ...The Eagles..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Strawbs - Deep Cuts
    (1976, Oyster/Polydor) MASTERSOUND in the deadwax

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have most of LR's disc's (including the boxset, Mexican canciones, and Nelson Riddle collaborations ) and think I agree that Prisoner In Disguise is prolly the "go to" one when I need a Linda fix...

found it interesting how she brought up a new group in the early 70's who got exposure as her opener ...The Eagles..
    I've always liked her covers of other singer-songwriter's stuff, Jackson Browne, Karla Bonoff, Warren Zevon, JD Souther, Ry Cooder - not better than the originals, just nice alternates. Speaking of which, her cover of Ry Cooder's "The Tattler" is a great example. I listened to the Cooder's version from Chicken Skin Music yesterday - both are GREAT versions.

I have a Ronstadt story - I went to garage sale a couple of years ago - turned out to be a former musician with a basement completely full of records, dozens of boxes. The sale was north of the city and not very well attended. He was moving out, leaving town. Turned out he and his brother played with Linda Ronstadt in Tucson - i.e. he played some bass with the Stone Poneys in the bars around Tucson as an underage kid. They traveled to California and he did the 60s SF music scene. I talked with him while going through all the 60s rock and jazz records. I wish I could have talked with him more, he was happy to find someone interested in 60s music. He asked if I'd heard of the Beau Brummels...of course he had a couple of their records which I snapped up. That first sale he was firm on his $1.50/record price. The next month's Gsale he was gone, left his stuff including a car, to be sold by his girlfriend, who needed it out by the weekend when the lease was up. I hauled off the ~20 boxes of records and a pair of Rectilinear speakers.

John Hammond - I Can Tell
    (1967, Atlantic)

w/ Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Bill Wyman. Interesting note on wikipedia - he had both Clapton and Hendrix playing together in his band for a week when playing a club in NYC in the 60s. This title has the warm1960s studio production you'd expect, with great blues playing and alot of attitude for a 25 year old.

Wes Montgomery - The Best Of Wes Montgomery
    (1967, Verve)

What a great sounding jazz guitar.

...dedicating the Montgomery version of Tequila for good luck to Lorenzo Romar's #11 seed Washington team back in the NCAA sweet 16 regional tomorrow (a traditional song played for decades by the UW band).

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love
    (1968, Reprise)

Leo Kottke - Burnt Lips
    (1978, Chrysalis)

Includes 2 tracks on the soundtrack of the film Days of Heaven. Recorded by Kottke in his home using Sound 80 Studio's mobile recording unit.

The Stone Poneys - Self Titled
    (1967, Capitol) 1974 re-issue w/ "featuring Linda Ronstadt" and new liner notes

back cover included for the LR eye candy. produced by Nick Venet, Capitol A&R chief who signed and produced The Beach Boys, Kingston Trio, Fred Neill; lots of folky tunes written by Stone Poneys R. Kimmel and Kenny Edwards, also includes a Fred Neill tune. I noticed that Cyrus Faryar plays here, I have his 1967 title The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds on Elektra.

Thread Information