Page 126 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226626 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Boys Of The Lough - Live At Passim's
    (1974, Philo)

recorded live at Passim, Cambridge, MA 11/1974
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Horace Sliver Quintet & Trio - Blowin' The Blues Away
    (1959, Blue Note) 1967 pressing w/ "Liberty Records" on the label

Wow, this has a dynamic and 3D image. another demo record - "here's what jazz sounds like on my system".

Chambers Brothers - The Time has come Today ....nearly seminal album .....although best know for the title track.....the others are vfine too..very soulful (was reading Wiki...they were a gospel group for a long time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambers_Brothers

saw them at an expensive concert in 68/69 (those years are a little foggy) along with The Doors
    ($2 ticket) at SBCC...LaPlaya Field ....CB's did a better set than Jim & co.

The Time Has Come Today

One night when the group was playing in the Cheetah Club they were met by a man smoking a cigar who said that he was there to bring them to Columbia Records and that's where they met David Rubinson. Actually, Warner Brothers and RCA wanted to sign them as well but wanted to change the bands image and put them in uniforms and have them put down their instruments. This is something that the brothers did not want! In the beginning it didn't seem much better with Columbia.
    Columbia president Clive Davis didn't want them to record their song "Time" and said that they didn't record that kind of stuff at Columbia. He also wanted to find a white group to record the song for them. The band said that this would never happen. When they broke the news to David Rubinson he was very heartbroken as he was really looking forward to producing "Time". He found a solution to the problem. He told the brothers that he might lose his job for doing this but they were going to record the song. He told them to come in early for the session. Everything would be ready but they wouldn't have any time to overdub or fix anything on the recording. They went into the LA studio in 1966 and recorded it with Rubinson adding some strange sitar like sounds over the song with some primitive / early Roland Farfisa synthesizers that he found in the studio. It didn't do any good because Columbia refused to put the single out.
    Later on when the group had a regional hit with the song "All Strung Out Over You", Columbia allowed Rubinson and the Chambers Brothers to re-record "Time" in 1967. By this time they had expanded "Time" to be the showpiece of their live show. They recorded the new version in one take with all of the effects live in the studio. Rubinson had set up the reverb and reinsertion things with Fred Catero, the studio engineer. Rubinson recalled that it was just one of those incredible magic sessions with all of them reacting to each other and even the trippy time tunnel section in the center of the song was a spontaneous creation. [4]
    The band scored its first major hit in 1968 with "Time Has Come Today" (written by Joe & Willie Chambers), from the group's similarly named third album, "The Time Has Come". The song spent five consecutive weeks at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100, just missing the Top Ten.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Rick Wakeman - White Rock: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Of The Innsbruck Winter Games
    (1976, A&M) Promo / NFS; Canadian pressing

I found this in my shelves filed under Y for Yes. Seems appropriate with the 2010Vancouver games started. All tracks composed arranged performed produced by Wakeman - heavy on the Moog synth and Steinway Grand.

I really like that Chambers Brothers LP - soul psych. There are some gems here besides the hit and they had other interesting LPs in the 60s

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    I really like that Chambers Brothers LP - soul psych. There are some gems here besides the hit and they had other interesting LPs in the 60s
    Total agreement here.

Been giving "Cricklewood Green" more time...as a TYA fan, you can really hear the upcoming ASIT trends in CG. got some real keepers on dere,

http://www.amazon.com/Cricklewood-Gr.../dp/B00005Y7KO

Amazon.com

Ten Years After guitarist Alvin Lee's hyperactive guitar solos (fretboard attacks a speed-metal guitarist would be proud to unleash) caught the ear of British rock fans and built a bridge to the blues. The well-produced Cricklewood Green, consisting of all-original material by Lee, is the group's best studio effort. For a band that made its reputation with live performances, most conspicuously at the Woodstock festival, that's probably minor praise, but it's praise nevertheless. The extended workout of the hit single "Love Like a Man" is the centerpiece of the album, one that opens with the frantic buzz of the back-to-back road songs "Sugar the Road" and "Working on the Road." But Lee, ably assisted by keyboardist Chick Churchill, fleshes out the trademark Ten Years After blues frenzy with an assortment of atypical approaches and styles. "Me and My Baby" delivers Lee and the band in a relaxed, almost swinging, mode, while "Circles" is a rare ballad offering. The sci-fi blues of "Year 3000 Blues" and semi-psychedelia of "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain" and "As the Sun Still Burns Away" further extend the album's reach without sacrificing any of Lee's guitar excursions. --Michael Point

Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live
    (1973, Mercury) G.K. in the deadwax - Gilbert Kong, mastering

a nice live recording, the rhythm section really thunders; 2 LP set recorded on the 1973 UK tour

The Doors - Absolutely Live
    (1970, Elektra) 1970 pressing w/ butterfly label

The Doors first live album, compiled from performances in the US between August '69 and June '70. Six months later Morrison was dead. I finished watching a PBS broadcast of a 1968 European concert today, so I thought I'd give this a spin.

DANG!!

listened for the first time to:
    jimmy giuffre with bob brookmeyer and jim hall.
    this is FUN!! and it sounds so fresh, its amazing. didnt know cowboys had so much funk
    I LOVE IT!
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Total agreement here.

Been giving "Cricklewood Green" more time...as a TYA fan, you can really hear the upcoming ASIT trends in CG. got some real keepers on dere,
    Your comments made me pull out my old Cricklewood vinyl ... I'd been a fan of TYA for years, tho I prefer Watt to ASIT most of the time.
    I'd forgotten some of the joys of CG - hadn't played it much since the mid 70s but I'd kept the vinyl through all the moves ...
    Wow, no kidding - - "50,000 Miles ..." played before, "As the Sun still burns Away" now ... really forgotten this album!

Thanks for this thread guys - you bring back some good stuff!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Your comments made me pull out my old Cricklewood vinyl ... I'd been a fan of TYA for years, tho I prefer Watt to ASIT most of the time.
    I'd forgotten some of the joys of CG - hadn't played it much since the mid 70s but I'd kept the vinyl through all the moves ...
    Wow, no kidding - - "50,000 Miles ..." played before, "As the Sun still burns Away" now ... really forgotten this album!

Thanks for this thread guys - you bring back some good stuff!
    Last late I picked down the TYA anthology in 320kbps ...13 albums .plus the BBC ones when these are done...

# Ten Years After, 1967
    # Undead, 1968
    # Stonedhenge, 1968
    # Ssssh, 1969
    # Cricklewood Green, 1970
    # Watt, 1970
    # A Space In Time, 1971
    # Alvin Lee And Company, 1972
    # Rock & Roll Music To The World, 1972
    # Recorded Live, 1973
    # Positive Vibrations, 1974
    Live At The Fillmore East, 1970 (2CD live) 2001

..been culling the best for a compilation MD...50,000 miles is there .....I love Alvin's slow windups to supersonic guitar frenzy's...

this is what I got so far ..as I'm only up to Ssssh..9 more albums to go...80 minutes on a MD to fill.

50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain.mp3
    Spider In My Web.mp3
    Good Morning Little Schoolgirl.mp3
    Baby Won't You Let Me Rock 'N' Roll You.mp3
    Love Like A Man.mp3
    Once There Was A Time.mp3
    Help Me.mp3
    Boogie On.mp3
    One Of These Days.mp3
    Working On The Road.mp3

The Three Sounds - Hey There!
    (1962, Blue Note) Recording by Rudy Van Gelder

Piano, bass, and drums; great cool jazz, picked-up for a couple of bucks today at HPB.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    DANG!!

listened for the first time to:
    jimmy giuffre with bob brookmeyer and jim hall.
    this is FUN!! and it sounds so fresh, its amazing. didnt know cowboys had so much funk
    I LOVE IT!
    Nice - I really like Jim Hall's playing on jazz guitar. that looks like a cool old Atlantic title, I bet it's a well recorded and mastered LP too!

The Section - Fork It Over
    (1977, Capitol) Deadwax: MASTERED BY CAPITOL Wally -> Wally Traugott ( Capitol Studio & Mastering , Hollywood )

Session players for Carole King, Jackson Browne, Crosby & Nash - Danny Kortchmar, Craig Doerge, Leland Sklar, and Russ Kunkel; David Crosby, James Taylor provide vocals respectively on the last track of each side of this otherwise instrumental and very dynamic studio album; picked up in the clearance shelves at HPB today.

Rita Coolidge - Nice Feelin'
    (1971, A&M) Monarch symbol in the deadwax; recording engineers: Bruce Botnick, Glyn Johns

This is her 2nd LP backed by Marc Benno on guitars & vocals, and The Dixie Flyers; Al Kooper plays organ on a track; Dylan and Neil Young covers; really nice, rich production, and what a singer. I found this in a box of musty records, many w/ water damaged covers at St. Vinnies today.

Nice - I really like Jim Hall's playing on jazz guitar. that looks like a cool old Atlantic title, I bet it's a well recorded and mastered LP too!
    hes a genius! one of very few guitarists that doesnt bore to hell with egocentric virtuosity. i love the colorful sound, and his kind of groove makes me smile!
    see:
    the recording sounds great, totally fresh and natural.
    -----------------
    whats playing now:
    joe zawinul: di-a-lects, 1986.
    lets call it nutty-professor-ethnofunk.
    im a big fan of the genius DUO in weather report, but this soloalbum here has unique qualities and definitly stands for its own, also leading the way to the late zawinul and the 'syndicate.
    joe zawinul was crazy about rythm, and this album is full with creative patterns, featuring a groove i can hardly escape.
    also i can find a lot of humor in the melodies, orchestrations and sounds.

favorite track/recommendation: "carnavalito"

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

so I have 0 (zero) C&W music ...no interest , but was out on a 9 mile vinyl trek today and found Luke among others that I bought. Even I knew the picture and figured that there had to be an interesting story.
    Its only G condition, and wud normally pass, but dont think any more of these will pass thru my mitts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Williams

"Luke the Drifter"

In 1950, Hank Williams began recording as Luke the Drifter, an appellation given to him for use in identifying his religion-themed recordings, many of which are recitations rather than singing. Fearful that disc jockeys and jukebox operators would become hesitant to accept these non-traditional Williams recordings, thereby hurting the marketability of Williams's name, the name Luke the Drifter was employed to cloak the identity of the artist.

Thread Information