Page 124 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Agreed, great recording, forgot how good Steve Winwood can be. The guitar playing is phenomenal, have not heard that level of playing in a long time, its actually hard to believe its from 2003.
    Thank you Clark
    Well, you are quite welcome. I am always playing catch-up for all the favors you do for me. Did you get to check out this video? If it seems boring skip to about 4:50. At about six minutes he takes off and channels Santana and Gilmore. Together. I was astonished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Searching past the fine link provided, I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRd0Z...eature=related

The new guitarist seems a fortuitous combination of Santana, David Gilmore and Akkerman influences. I think his name is Niels van der Steenhoven.

For my taste, some of the nicest music I have heard in years. I'll look for the CD, Focus 9 / New Skin
    The drummer is as good as the guitarist, too, I think. It has been a while since I had seen that much talent on one stage.

The metal side of the guitarist is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vs19J1DrNw&NR=1

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Got out on a 6 mile ride yesterday (taking it EZ as my knee was sore) , found the Brahms and this 4 LP set of "Superstars of the 70's" ...VG cond. ($1)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Lonnie Liston Smith - The Best Of Lonnie Liston Smith
    (1978, RCA Victor)

Some nice fusion explorations, his work with Pharoah Sanders, Gato Barbieri, and Miles Davis in the late 60s early 70s really shows, with some stretching out on some tracks. Not so much on the vocal tracks which sound like more of a pop-crossover target. Nice recording, cleaned up very nicely on the used VPI 16.5 RCM I picked up today from a friend - it's a step up from the Nitty Gritty RCM that I can already tell I'm going to enjoy.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

George Benson - Blue Benson
    (1976, Polydor) MASTERDISK in the deadwax

Well I can tell right away that this is clearly the tasty early Benson jazz guitar, even though the recording wasn't released until 1976 - yep, the back jacket says recorded Feb and Nov 1968. There are a bunch of his early titles that I think are just right, I'm glad I've run across alot of them. Great pressing too.

Channels, I love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Well, you are quite welcome. I am always playing catch-up for all the favors you do for me. Did you get to check out this video? If it seems boring skip to about 4:50. At about six minutes he takes off and channels Santana and Gilmore. Together. I was astonished.
    The drummer is as good as the guitarist, too, I think. It has been a while since I had seen that much talent on one stage.Clark
    Was not aware of this band, great song, santana & gilmore is very apt description, man that guy can play! Aslo reminded me a bit of Larry Carlton (not familiar with Akkerman, but we're probably talking about the same thing) with his fusiony jazz style, yeah the whole band is pretty amzing.
    I also really liked the backdrop during the performance, it compliments the music very nicely and does not compete for your attention or turn into a light show like many show innevitably do these days. Very cool!
    I gotta dissagree with you on something though Clark, it is I who is way in the red with you as far a favors go, deeply indebted is a more like it my friend Thanks again!
    Just Play Music.

Did the 9 mile loop yesterday..it was so nice that I didnt want to come home...I really like the "Phase 4's" and grab them anytime the music fits...couple of backups...Aja and W&tPB...they were in too nice condition to leave there. ..the 1812 uses real cannons.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Punch
    Nice finds Tom...

I have been playing (on guitar) "You Don't Love" by Mayall, but I kick it up a notch and play the Gary Moore version.

Drunk

Vic Chesnut;
    Great album, just getting acquainted with his material, but like what I've heard so far. Talented guy, too bad he commited suicide recently
    Anybody else familiar with his body of work?

Later!

Just Play Music.

Punch
    .....I broke this out after putting it away back in '95. Kevin Connolly "Little Town"....nice vocals and guitar and "Take Me To The Sea" (cut #1) is great to demo gear.

Young-Holt Unlimited - Mellow Dreamin'
    (1970, Cotillion)

Some tasty soul and jazz instrumental from former rhythm section of Ramsey Lewis' jazz trio. Lots of nicely recorded instruments including piano/organ, flugelhorn/trumpet, but driven by Eldee Young's bass and Redd Holt's drums. Nice cover of Witchita Lineman, and a piece called Trippin' on side 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Did the 9 mile loop yesterday..it was so nice that I didnt want to come home...I really like the "Phase 4's" and grab them anytime the music fits...couple of backups...Aja and W&tPB...they were in too nice condition to leave there. ..the 1812 uses real cannons.
    Mayall did that recording of The Blues Alone by himself in the studio - played all instruments except some drums I think. There's a good write-up on the session on his wikipedia page. Nice grab.

Taj Mahal - Music Keeps Me Together
    (1975, Columbia) NFS/Promo; Frankford/Wayne in the deadwax -> Frankford Wayne Mastering Labs, NYC.

There's a reggae touch here with the usual Taj blues and funk.

Very nicely done. Loaned to me by a co-worker and I dutifully ripped a copy:

Various Artists - The Fi/ Analogue Productions Sampler:
    "A great sampler of early Analogue Productions reissues and APO Records original recordings. Blues, Jazz and female vocal tracks, all cherry-picked for their exceptional sound. Includes a detailed description of each of the 16 tracks. We had been out of this title for several years, but recently found a box of 30 in our warehouse move. Don't wait." (currently NLA)

Track Listings
    1. Sonny Boy Williamson & Matt 'Guitar' Murphy: The Sky Is Crying
    2. Sonny Boy Williamson: Don't Let Your Right Hand Know
    3. Otis Spann: Good Morning Mr. Blues
    4. Otis Spann: Goin' Down Slow
    5. Jimmy Rogers & The Allstars: Blue Bird
    6. Jimmy Rogers & Tha Allstats: Why Are You So Mean To Me?
    7. Jimmy D. Lane: Hear My Train A Comin'
    8. Nancy Bryan: Blood Song
    9. Janis Ian: Breaking Silence
    10. Shelly Manne: Poinciana
    11. Art Pepper: Straight, No Chaser
    12. Art Pepper: Blues For Blanche
    13. Miles Davis: It Never Entered My Mind
    14. Bill Evans Trio: My Foolish Heart
    15. Sonny Rollins: I'm An Ol' Cowhand
    16. Chet Baker: September Song

Sample it for yourself here: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The Blues Project - The Blues Project Live At Town Hall
    (1967, Verve Forecast) German pressing; MADE IN GERMANY in the deadwax

psychedelic jazz blues rock, that's alot of categories but they explored them, Al Kooper at the keyboards, some nice extended jams here, compare to The Yardbirds.

Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
    (1968, Columbia)

Simple arrangements just a bass and drums behind Dylan for the most part here, but a nice recording, the Kenny Buttrey drums in the right channel have a wonderful sounding bass kick at times on the title track and Dear Landlord. ...and then there is this collection of rich Dylan songs to ponder.

Punch
    [quote=BMWCCA;278658]Very nicely done. Loaned to me by a co-worker and I dutifully ripped a copy:

Various Artists - The Fi/ Analogue Productions Sampler:
    "A great sampler of early Analogue Productions reissues and APO Records original recordings. Blues, Jazz and female vocal tracks, all cherry-picked for their exceptional sound. Includes a detailed description of each of the 16 tracks. We had been out of this title for several years, but recently found a box of 30 in our warehouse move. Don't wait." (currently NLA)
    quote]

I'm grabbing this!

Thread Information