Page 114 of 721 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214614 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Ten Years After - The Classic Performances Of Ten Years After
    (1976, Columbia) "Barry" in the deadwax
    ...any excuse to hear I'd Love To Change The World one more time
    ...but it is strange to hear songs out of their playback order in A Space In Time

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I was kinda right.....

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1290...ep-Blue-Beyond

< snip >

We always keep meaning to stop in and see the grave...Kent, isnt it ?
    I think I've read that the site is in Renton. There's a cool statue on Broadway, just down from the Seattle U. campus, and across the street from Seattle Central Community College. Ah, learn something new every day... no mention of this in the wikipedia piece I looked at. Rickie Lee Jones was a military brat as well, and spent alot of her teen years in Olympia, WA, still has family there I think.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    I think I've read that the site is in Renton. T
    You be mo righter this time .glad I axed .......Renton

http://www.deadbluesguys.com/dbgtour/hendrix_jimi.htm
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ashington.html

...any excuse to hear I'd Love To Change The World one more time
    ...but it is strange to hear songs out of their playback order in A Space In Time
    ASIT is one of my 5 DID's

Jimmi's place
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Walter Egan - Fundamental Roll
    (1977, Columbia) Promo/NFS; MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the deadwax; produced by Buckingham & Nicks, they do background vocals

Nice. I have a copy of his 1985 Showdown! with Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland and it smokes. He sold alot of copies of Strong Persuader, I see it alot, have never seen the Afraid Of The Dark title while making the rounds.
    I have also seen a lot of vinyl...and never saw "Dont be Afraid of the Dark" b4 ...even in catalogs..
    Of course, the DAY after saying that I never see this title, I run across it in the 50 cents clearance shelf at a Half Price Books.... classic~!

Of course, the DAY after saying that I never see this title, I run across it in the 50 cents clearance shelf at a Half Price Books.... classic~!
    50 cents ?? Hope you snatched it quickly ..good album
    (thats what I paid too )

Frank Zappa - Waka / Jawaka
    (1972, Bizarre / Reprise)

50 cents ?? Hope you snatched it quickly ..good album
    (thats what I paid too )
    Yep, no brainer!

Heart - Little Queen
    (1977, Portrait) "Go For It" and KENDUN in the deadwax, side 1

Gabor Szabo - Rambler
    (1974, CTI) "Van Gelder" in the deadwax
    Szabo is listed as the author on Santana Abraxas of "Gypsy Queen" , which is the ending to the trio commonly called BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. It opens with "Singing Winds/Crying Beasts" then to "BMW" and finishes with the high energy "Gypsy Queen"

Szabo's version of "GQ" is far different that Carlos's that ends in the 3 guitar slam ..WHAM..WHAM..WHAM at 45 seconds left and culminates in the fantastic tuned feedback ....have not heard any other recording by CS where he did GQ as well as on Abraxas ........Outstanding

Laurindo Almeida - Guitar From Impanema
    (1964, Capitol) T 2197

Szabo is listed as the author on Santana Abraxas of "Gypsy Queen" , which is the ending to the trio commonly called BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. It opens with "Singing Winds/Crying Beasts" then to "BMW" and finishes with the high energy "Gypsy Queen"

Szabo's version of "GQ" is far different that Carlos's that ends in the 3 guitar slam ..WHAM..WHAM..WHAM at 45 seconds left and culminates in the fantastic tuned feedback ....have not heard any other recording by CS where he did GQ as well as on Abraxas ........Outstanding
    Interesting, I didn't know that was a Szabo tune. Yes, I've read that Santana was very influenced by Szabo especially after hearing his playing on Spellbinder. and this with a mic'd acoustic guitar! I grab everything I see by him - alot of his catalog is on the wonderful CTI label. I couldn't find a clip of Szabo playing GQ, but did find a (smoking) clip of his here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXN7aN0UVU8

Interesting, I didn't know that was a Szabo tune. Yes, I've read that Santana was very influenced by Szabo especially after hearing his playing on Spellbinder. and this with a mic'd acoustic guitar! I grab everything I see by him - alot of his catalog is on the wonderful CTI label. I couldn't find a clip of Szabo playing GQ, but did find a (smoking) clip of his here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXN7aN0UVU8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1bor_Szab%C3%B3

His playing incorporated elements of folk music from his native Hungary and rock music's use of feedback. His composition "Gypsy Queen" became a hit for Santana in 1970 (see Black Magic Woman).

hear it here ..no need to register
    http://blip.fm/profile/GrassyKnoll/b...bo-Gypsy_Queen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Magic_Woman

the introduction of the song, which was adapted from Szabo's "Gypsy Queen", consists of simple hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides, before moving into the introduction solo of "Black Magic Woman." After the introduction solo, which follows the same chord progression as the verse, the song moves into an eight-bar piano solo on D minor, and proceeds to two verses sung by keyboardist Gregg Rolie. Two verses of guitar solo follow the two sung verses, which is then succeeded by another verse, before moving into a modified version of the "Gypsy Queen" section from the beginning of the song, to end the piece. There is also a single edit that runs for 3:15. On the radio the piano solo is sometimes omitted while "Gypsy Queen" is almost always omitted, whilst other longer versions have since been released, including one which runs for 8:56.

Sweet, thanks for the link. I've heard that, yep it's on the 1966 Spellbinder title, Ron Carter on bass, Chico Hamilton on drums - wow. I really like his playing, sad that we lost him.

looks like I haven't listened to Abraxas in almost 2 years. I'm overdue

looks like I haven't listened to Abraxas in almost 2 years. I'm overdue
    after my post last night abt Abraxas , went to bed with the pod & IEMs ...I had just reloaded the pod as it seems to distort when tunes are deleted and added over time. Abraxas is one of those "have to always be on the pod" albums...so got up and added it.

Gypsy Queen on there is really intense and I had the gain rather high , so on the 3 guitar WHAMS at the end of GQ , felt my eyes wincing at each one ....think I had a big smile too ...

the pod doesn't push enough power for the preferred Senn HD-580's , but does fine on the IEMs ...but my minidisk portable does handle the Senns well ...mebbe I'll put Abraxas (the only MFSL disc I ever bought) on to MD and really do it right ...

Heart - Little Queen
    now I know that they ARE one of your locals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_%28band%29

Heart is a rock band whose founding members came from Seattle, Washington, USA in the early 1970s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Santana - Abraxas
    (1970, Columbia) KC 30130; 197? pressing w/o poster
    inspired by the discussion of Gabor Szabo's 1966 Spellbinder & the version of Gypsy Queen here.

now I know that they ARE one of your locals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_%28band%29

Heart is a rock band whose founding members came from Seattle, Washington, USA in the early 1970s
    Yeah they were contemporaries, and the drummer was actually from the same N. Seattle high school. I know that for awhile one of the sisters had huge old estate/mansion in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle very close to Volunteer park. Great players, and Ann with that singing voice. They made some nice sounding records in the 70s, mostly played too much for me now, but still fun - hard to choose but I think Dog & Butterfly is the current favorite.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
    (1963, Monument) XM 8003 Canadian mono pressing

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
    (1963, Monument) XM 8003 Canadian mono pressing
    Very nice ...I really enjoy Roy...will keep an eye out for a copy.

Thread Information