Page 110 of 721 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210610 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

New Nora Jones album "The Fall" streaming on NPR.org

Sounds nice. Doesn't come out until tomorrow (Tuesday the 17th) but you can hear all the tracks here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120013389

"Light as a Feather" sounds particularly good so far.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Do you have a favorite version ?? Many many have played this piece...I collected abt 10 different vers , until I found the one by Ann-Sophie Mutter and then stopped ..dont think I can find one better
    I don't - I've really just started my movement towards classical in the last 6 months or so. I'll look for that version. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: New Nora Jones album "The Fall" streaming on NPR.org

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sounds nice.

Have streamed it and enjoyed it as I have her past releases. Also seems well recorded (even in its compressed form) as well.

nora jones might be the thing for you young hippsters, but just now im following miles davis through his porgy and bess. little old, but very nice. i always startle at the beginning, when the brass section screams in...like a sonic reset. before i drift away into the grand coolness of the music...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porgy_a...Davis_album%29

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post

Have streamed it and enjoyed it as I have her past releases. Also seems well recorded (even in its compressed form) as well.
    Best Buy had it for $9.99 today. Even an unemployed old guy like me can afford that!

I'll let you know what it sounds like off disc.

Later:

Well...I'm unimpressed with her new production crew. I want to hear her voice. I don't want to hear her voice double-tracked with the effects turned up to increase the room size and reverb, and layered with noise. Or synthesized/enhances with fuzz, and saturated and compressed. The production quality of her latest is pretty much like anything else these days with the exception of maybe two stripped-down songs that still mess with the "hall size" button. Quite sad since I'll always recall Donald Fagen's high praise for her previous recording "Not too Late" and its production and sound quality. Now she's saturated, compressed, loud and the lack of natural dynamic range is compensated for with more effects.

I'm not sure this one will find its way into my normal rotation. Sadly.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

hmmm - Nora Jones or Miles ... hmmm

Think I'll go for Miles ...

Thanks guys!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Just saw these guys a couple of weeks ago....

If they are within a hundred miles of you, GO! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!
    http://raintribute.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Now she's saturated, compressed, loud and the lack of natural dynamic range is compensated for with more effects.
    Disappointing to the point that I'm now reluctant to actually purchase it ... though I probably still will.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Think I'll go for Miles ...
    Can't go wrong with that choice! I was playing the 20-Bit remastered version of Kind of Blue just a few nites ago ... marvelous!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    I was playing the 20-Bit remastered version of Kind of Blue just a few nites ago ... marvelous!
    I agree. I have it and don't play it enough.

Elton John - 11-17-70
    (1971, Uni) recorded during a live NYC radio concert 39 years today; this is a tasty Uni pressing

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Dave Mason, Cass Elliot - Dave Mason & Cass Elliot
    (1970, Blue Thumb)

Various Artists - Fill Your Head With Jazz
    (1970, Columbia)

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Self Titled
    (1968, Fantasy) > Canadian pressing: "distributed in Canada by Phonodisc"

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Self Titled
    (1968, Fantasy) > Canadian pressing: "distributed in Canada by Phonodisc"
    CCR - A great debut album

I saw them in the Bay area (Pleasanton Race track) in '69 (or was it 68 ? them days are foggy) ....Fogerty took the mike and announced that "the next song is from our upcoming album" ...they played "I put a Spell on You" (which was wrong, since the first album was already out - but we didnt care)

EDIT: I found it !!

San Francisco International Pop Festival, Alameda Co. Fairgrounds, Pleasanton CA 10/26-27/1968. w/Johnny Rivers, Jose Feliciano, Eric Burdon & The Animals, Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, Canned Heat, and others.

I'm not a big ELO fan , but have given "El Dorado" its share of spin time this week and really like it....
    a concept album (in the spirit of SPLHCB - in some reviews) - recommended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldorad...estra_album%29

The front cover, designed by Sharon Arden, later known as Sharon Osbourne, comprises a still from the popular 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

George Benson - The Most Exciting New Guitarist On The Jazz Scene Today - It's Uptown
    (1966, Columbia) 1976 pressing

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    CCR - A great debut album

I saw them in the Bay area (Pleasanton Race track) in '69 (or was it 68 ? them days are foggy)
    Thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 cuts - Gloomy and Walk On The Water, they stretch out w/ some tasty psychedelic guitar licks.

Wow, quite a lineup for that festival.

Thread Information