Page 108 of 721 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208608 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Just picked up another Chris Whitley CD and one cut is particularly intoxicating:

Her Furious Angels, but particularly the version on the album "Soft Dangerous Shores" (he's recorded it before but not like this).

Click the album cover for an Amazon sound clip:

Any other Chris Whitley fans here with recommendations? I also have "Dirt Floor" and "War Crime Blues". This one's really a winner.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Zephyr was a blues-based hard rock band formed in 1968
    So i had Zephyr playing "Hard Drivin' Woman" and my son who is a big
    "White Stripes"/Jack White fan comes into the room and stops to listen..

then he asks "Is that the new White Stripes album ??? I had to chuckle as Zephyr did this tune before Jack was born , but I checked it more carefuller and darned...THATS where Mr. White got his sound...almost interchangeable ('cept for the vocals)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

It was a rainy / gray day in Oregon....all summer I've been getting the gear together (fenders/gortex parka/gloves/etc) so that I can ride in the rain ...today was the test and worth the ride..

Had never seen the Clapton album before,,nor the Eldorado ELO one.
    the Moon Landing one (radio conversations and music looks fun) ..I'm not a fan of "YES" ..but am going to force myself
    (like Alex in Clockwork Orange) to see if some appreciation can be gained ...as a Ronstadt fan it was nice to find her 3 LP boxed set in E++ condition ( I didnt even know she had one)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bob Moses - When Elephants Dream Of Music
    (1983, Grammavision)

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
    (1969, Warner Bros) > 1970 pressing

I just spent some time with this Feat's set my brother-in-law loaned me, Hotcakes and Outtakes. Nice re-mastering and a very interesting written history in the 75-page book that comes with it. I was always a fan of Little Feat and saw them several times in the '70s, but this was an eye-opening account of the rise, fall, and attempt to rise again, with some unusual tracks.

Then I changed moods to David Sanborn's latest (I assume), Here & Gone. A little jazz, a little blues, and some help from Derek Trucks and Eric Clapton (on separate tracks) that produce cuts that are some of the best from both of them. Great recording quality for those of you burdened with systems that can often reveal too much of the recording's flaws and engineering deficiencies or over-zealous compression and boost. Highly recommended, from start to finish. Good horns-on-horns, once again.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Arch Oboler - Drop Dead! An Exercise In Horror!
    (1962, Capitol)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
    (1973, Virgin) Quad Pressing

Talking I didnt know Signe was also a Portlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Don't worry, It's Signe. She wore her hair like that in every picture I have ever seen of her SF days. The beautiful smile is also unmistakable.

Clark
    Long ago (post 1333+) we were discussing Signe Anderson ....and last week I ran across the ad for a 2008 Oregon concert..
    Signe was singing with the Airplane ...and i missed it

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/inde...erform_wi.html

"Last blast from the Love Generation"

By Barry Johnson

August 20, 2008, 2:44PM

Signe Anderson will perform with other Jefferson Airplane alums in Astoria this weekend.
    Music and nostalgia will be the themes all weekend-long in Astoria as iconic musicians from the tie-dye era gather at the Clatsop County Fairgrounds to play the "Concert for Big Red." Think Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe McDonald, It's a Beautiful Day and the Holy Modal Rounder, among a long slate of others.

The former Signe Anderson -- Jefferson Airplane's first female vocalist, with a rich resonant voice strikingly similar to her replacement, Grace Slick -- will join other original Airplane members, including guitarist Marty Balin, bass player Bob Harvey and drummer Jerry Peloquin on Sunday. The band will perform officially as the "Airplane Family Reunion." Anderson, 67, is a long-time Oregonian who in the 1970s was a vocalist for Portland's Carl Smith & the Natural Gas Co. Like Styler, she recounts myriad connections between the musicians who will appear at the Big Red benefit and three generations of family and friends. Anderson also recalls her connection to the building itself, telling of a stop at Big Red after an age nine fishing adventure with her uncle.

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...es;read=147428

Anderson was raised in Portland, Oregon, and was a locally known and well-respected jazz and folk singer before joining Jefferson Airplane after a trip to San Francisco.

took the longest ride of the year yesterday (out to MHCC) , it was foggy when I left , but came home in warm sun ..today looks like another sunny riding day too .. ...one knee a little sore, hope its only from the damp weather...no safari manana , jury duty.

Tween the flea market and the thrifts, only managed 2 LP's..both radio station copies, but different sources...

Phil had kinda got me back to appreciating SS , and I so enjoyed Brian Auger with Julie Driscoll's cover of "Light My Fire" , that mebbe I'd give Oblivion Express a try...

Eric Clapton - Self Titled
    (1970, Atco)

Hot Tuna - First Pull Up, Then Pull Down
    (1971, RCA Victor) German pressing

can't afford to squander this decent biking weather ,,,2 doors albums in 1 day ...the double greatest hits and a promo copy of Light My Fire.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    (1972, RCA Victor) Chchchchanges....

Marveling at the fact that a 48 year old record can best many of the modern recordings I buy today....

Thread Information