Page 104 of 721 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Ten Years After

I've looked for this on CD for awhile--Ten Years After "Rock and Roll Music to the World." I love this album--there's nothing on it I don't like. It's available as an import. Alvin "Lightning Fingers" Lee can sometimes go overboard on blues, but this album is both tasty and tasteful. Yes, yes--I know--the critics never liked this one as much as "A Space in Time," or "Cricklewood Green," but it's always been not only my favorite Ten Years After album, but one of my favorites, period. On a different level entirely, I also pulled out my rare old copy of "Alvin Lee & Mylon." Mylon LeFevre's father was so upset his son had made an album with a long-haired British rocker, he tried to buy up all the copies he could find and destroyed them. Strange. It's the most mellow thing Lee ever did so far as I know, although "I'm Gonna Keep on Rockin' Till the Sun Goes Down" is an excellent low-key rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    the critics never liked this one as much as "A Space in Time," or "Cricklewood Green," but it's always been not only my favorite Ten Years After album, but one of my favorites, period. O.
    I wud include "A Space in Time" in my top 5 DID's
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Maybe a Stupid Question

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I wud include "A Space in Time" in my top 5 DID's
    Uh--whatsa "DID"?

Uh--whatsa "DID"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

Maybe a Stupid Reply

Okay--how would you play it on said desert island? Or is the sheer possession enough?

Okay--how would you play it on said desert island? Or is the sheer possession enough?
    Its a concept, dude ... not a real possibility. The top 5 or 10 disks/Lps/CDs/SACDs/MP3/wavs/flacs/or watevers that you could listen to over and over and not tire of...

Talk About Beating Your Head Against a Wall....

Its a concept, dude ... not a real possibility. The top 5 or 10 disks/Lps/CDs/SACDs/MP3/wavs/flacs/or watevers that you could listen to over and over and not tire of...
    I'm sorry--I didn't mean to cause frustration--I thought the "Maybe a Stupid Reply" bit would be a clue that the reply was what they call in France or somewhere, "tongue in cheek," but I don't know why. It was an attempt at humor, but evidently not a successful one.

But back to Ten Years After--"A Space in Time" is truly a classic. Alvin Lee still has a band, you know--The Alvin Lee Band. He sells direct to the public from his web site--the last few albums have been very good, but not up to the "classic" standard of his earlier days--although, technically, he's still as good as ever. It's the creative energy that's fallen off.

pretty good FujiVinylSafari today

The Rubber Soul & King Crimson have 1 scratched side and 1 perfect so I gave them a try....LZ is a double... I just watched the DVD ...The Pink floyd & Syd Barrett story ....which is really strange as I picked up an album mentioned in the movie ....the unreleased "Vegetable Man , where are you ?"
    according to the interviews..."wish you were here" was written for the drug lost Syd ..the line "2 black holes in the sky" are his eyes...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The Rubber Soul & King Crimson have 1 scratched side and 1 perfect so I gave them a try....
    Rubber Soul looked worse than it is...sounds fine...lots of old favs

Picked these up today....both in remarkable condition ...the George Harrison has all 3 disks & the poster, only flaw I cud find is that the front and rear of box arent attached to each other anymore...

Just heard Gretchen Parlato singing Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly" off her new album In a Dream. Quite a mesmerizing voice.

Grabbed up 2 licorice pizzas yesterday & 4 today ..
    a photo just showed up in my mailbox....the vinyl safari with a GW LP on the bars....
    (hurts my aerodynamics, tho)

came home today with 4 , nothing hirsute..

Nelson Riddle's GH
    Gary Wright Dreamweaver
    Kansas Leftoverature
    & soundtrack from "An officer & a Jellybean" (as we used to call them)

well yesterday I watched..Shine a light ; directed by Martin Scorsese.

Recorded at New York's Beacon Theatre during the fall of 2006, and features performances by The Rolling Stones with special guests Christina Aguilera, Jack White, and Buddy Guy.

I drew 2 conclusions from it...

1, I enjoy the Stones in studio more than in concert.
    2. I dont enjoy Martin anywhere.

audio not very good, cinematography nothing special, nor direction.

(and I'm a Stones fan)

But back to Ten Years After--"A Space in Time" is truly a classic. .
    after reading this I went back to listen again with the HD-580's on the pod....just an incredible coherent album, but MP3 quality.

Cudnt find a local non-compressed copy, so put one on hold at the lib...then found my CD and currently dubbing to MD...much better than the mp3..

Did this album ever get the Mofi treatment ? or SACD or remaster ?

http://social.zune.net/album/Ten+Yea...2a3933/details

A Space in Time was Ten Years After's best-selling album. This was due primarily to the strength of "I'd Love to Change the World," the band's only hit single, and one of the most ubiquitous AM and FM radio cuts of the summer of 1971. TYA's first album for Columbia, A Space in Time has more of a pop-oriented feel than any of their previous releases had. The individual cuts are shorter, and Alvin Lee displays a broader instrumental palette than before. In fact, six of the disc's ten songs are built around acoustic guitar riffs. However, there are still a couple of barn-burning jams. The leadoff track, "One of These Days," is a particularly scorching workout, featuring extended harmonica and guitar solos. After the opener, however, the album settles back into a more relaxed mood than one would have expected from Ten Years After. Many of the cuts make effective use of dynamic shifts, and the guitar solos are generally more understated than on previous outings. The production on A Space in Time is crisp and clean, a sound quite different from the denseness of its predecessors. Though not as consistent as Cricklewood Green, A Space in Time has its share of sparkling moments. ~ Jim Newsom, All Music Guide

For all I know this could be the tenth time I've promoted this fine CD here, but in pulling it out once again (family out at the movies) I continue to be impressed. And not just because I heard most of it performed live or that I have a twenty-five-year history with its predecessor, but because it's so well recorded, the instruments so well-played that it's a real treat so rare these days.

I don't hesitate to recommend Mike Marshall and Darol Anger's Woodshop to anyone:

or their 1985 Windham Hill release, Chiaroscuro (could it be out of print??). Holy cr*p, $85 for a new one?? I commend the pedestal on which they've placed it, but . . .

Let me suggest this link, instead:
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Canadian Railroad Trilogy

also:
    Early Morning Rain
    For Lovin' Me
    Go-Go Round
    Pussywillows, Cat-Tails
    Bitter Green
    If You Could Read My Mind
    Summer Side of Life
    Cotton Jenny
    Beautiful
    Sundown
    Carefree Highway
    Rainy Day People
    The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
    Race Among the Ruins
    Daylight Katy
    The Circle is Small
    Baby Step Back
    Stay Loose
    Restless

Did OKAY on the vinyl safari today...

also after researching the Syd Barrett album, I hauled out "Wish You Were Here" and enjoyed it so much that after 3X plays on vinyl, its now being dubbed to MD.

Thread Information