Page 101 of 721 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Thoughts on the new Tori? I was thinking of picking it up myself.
    I liked it. Good recording, which is most important to me these days. Nothing jumped out at me causing me to turn it off, like many poor recordings. Apparently her husband is the engineer, FWIW. There's an underlying synthesizer track and other loops throughout, though she also plays the big Bösendorfer and there are plenty of credited real (acoustic) instruments. My first impression is many songs sound like others, but that's usually the case with a new CD, and especially one with 17 tracks! Good dynamics. Typically impressive Amos voice . . . if you like her, or that style of female vocal. Downer lyrics but I'm too old to pay attention to that stuff anymore. I'm still trying to understand Donald Fagen.

I've seen Amos but I'm not a collector of her music. Some of my kids are and I picked up this one knowing they'd want to compress it into their iPods. I can say the production quality should stand up to your system, and that's getting harder to find.

At 45, they may have spent more production time on tinkering with the photos of her in the liner notebook than in the recording, which is fine with me. I didn't spend the extra two-bucks for the version with the DVD so I can't tell you what that's all about.

Most professional reviews of the album are luke-warm, at best. It's faring much better in fan reviews on Amazon and the majority of those familiar with her seem to find something of value in this current release. If you rank CDs by how many bytes they can jam onto one, this may be among the all-time leaders at 73-minutes of music. It's also available in a 2-disc LP version.

I mostly was at our only remaining local "record" store with my daughter, trying to bolster that sagging niche of our economy (she found two used CDs for me to buy for her) and the selection was so bad this was what I ended up with, though I'm not unhappy about that. I almost couldn't find the Jazz section anymore. Sadly most of their floor space is taken up with empty bin storage and I expect them either to fold or move to smaller (much smaller) quarters soon. Best Buy wasn't much better and I came away with what must be David Sanborn's newest release, Here&Gone. I can't say he's my favorite sax player but I do like him and I grew-up with his sisters. This one has Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, and Joss Stone on it. I'll give it another listen before I pass judgment.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I liked it. Good recording, which is most important to me these days. Nothing jumped out at me causing me to turn it off, like many poor recordings.
    Funny you should say that - just the other night I popped in a CD I've had for years now and which I've played many times on every iteration of a system I've owned, and I was actually compelled to turn it off for the first time. It actually made me [for a second] miss the days when my system was more forgiving, and I just blindly thought everything sounded good on it. Hell, I never even contemplated the quality of a recording until a few years ago. But, like you, it has become increasingly important, and I guess that - along with getting older - is subtetly shifting my musical focus towards genres that tend to be more well mastered and produced. Luckily the office system, while still nicely outfitted with JBL's, is not quite refined enough to render all but the worst recording unlistenable.

I've seen Amos but I'm not a collector of her music. Some of my kids are and I picked up this one knowing they'd want to compress it into their iPods. I can say the production quality should stand up to your system, and that's getting harder to find.
    Certainly agred about th scarcity of well-produced music. I actually do have most of her albums and am what I guess you'd call a "fan." I can say that (unlike most "pop" recordings) hers tend to stand up well to even very critical systems.

At 45, they may have spent more production time on tinkering with the photos of her in the liner notebook than in the recording, which is fine with me.
    Hehehehe! Yeah, I'm sure Photoshop is her friend

I mostly was at our only remaining local "record" store ...
    Yeah, there's one left in my neck of the woods. I've come to know the guy pretty well, and while he doesn't stock much, he can his hands on virtually anything I want. In a conversation recently, he flat out told me that the store wasn't his main revenue stream, and his side business is mostly what keeps the rent paid.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Thanks for your thoughts - hopefully, I'll pick up a copy this weekend.

Best,
    - Mike

Todays Vinyl Safari
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Memories ...

It's a beautiful night here in the Mid-Atlantic, it was a pretty hellacious week at work, and this album reminds me of simpler times...

Last time I heard it on JBL's was probably the year it came out and I queued it up on my parent's system which at the time featured a pair of L46's; since everything always seems to come full circle, that's what it's playing on right now. With better upstream components, a sub, and proper speaker placement, it sounds better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Last time I heard it on JBL's was probably the year it came out and I queued it up on my parent's system
    When will you be old enough to drive? Is that "77" like your date of birth?

I think it was the year my oldest daughter graduated from college that Stefan's house burned down right across the street. Memories!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

When will you be old enough to drive?
    Eh, just a few years ago . The roads were none too happy to meet me the day I started driving my 1973 Plymouth "Gold" Duster which was actually older than I was. Secured by modern-day safety features such as 4-wheel manual drum brakes and sophistaced lap belts, I was ready to tear up the street, and indeed I did. Of course, that started a MOPAR obsession that is only rivaled by my affinity for another certain brand to which I remain loyal to this day

Is that "77" like your date of birth?
    You don't miss a thing do you Suffice it to say my parents purchased the very first JBL's I remember when I was eight years old, and being the adventurous lad I was, I got in quite a bit of trouble touching the equipment in the stereo store in which they were bought. I distinctly remember walls of McIntosh gear, and an entire jeweler's case of high-end cartridges and styli at the cash register. Needless to say I was absolutely enamoured by the entire experience, and I guess it's no wonder I find myself where I am today.

A few days after purchasing the JBL's they went back for a Luxman R-405 receiver (which replaced a KLH 52/A) and a JVC QLA-200 turntable. I may have been young, but I guess I had an eye for gear even back then. I researched a lot of this from memory, and even had to refresh the folks about what they had .

Pretty interesting to note is the year my parent's actually purchased the L46's - two years after they are listed as being manufactured by JBL. Might explain the pretty discounted price they scored them for given that they bought them at what was a high-end retailer...

...And this is why Lansing Heritage means so much to me to this day

on the way to my 1 hour appt that lasted 3 days, I picked up these .."Arc of a Diver" is really very good.

Jeff Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The DVD is now out and I would say to get that instead.
    Thank you for the tip! Jeff Beck is a great guitarist whom I did not really know berfore.

Billie Jean...

...is NOT my lover! Not too unpredictably, I have some MJ playing at the moment .

I have to wonder how many copies of Thriller are spinning on turntables across the globe as I type this? A perfect and fitting tribute...

Roxy Music

Hi Folks,

like many of us the oldies are the GOODIES.

I just got this from Amazon . I grew up with this band and then lost interest with Avalon. Brian Ferry had just turned the corner toward his solo style ending right up the BALLARD . Don't get me wrong-I love a good ballard-but I felt he got a little too sweet for my 20 yr old taste.

Anyway, this is the re-mastered version and cost me a fiver. After the Led Zep fiasco I went off re-mastered versions of anything- but they did a brilliant job on this. Everything sounds balanced and detailed. Detailed without overly boosted mid to upper fq.

Just my opinion:

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Folks,

like many of us the oldies are the GOODIES.

I just got this from Amazon . I grew up with this band and then lost interest with Avalon. Brian Ferry had just turned the corner toward his solo style ending right up the BALLARD . Don't get me wrong-I love a good ballard-but I felt he got a little too sweet for my 20 yr old taste.

Anyway, this is the re-mastered version and cost me a fiver. After the Led Zep fiasco I went off re-mastered versions of anything- but they did a brilliant job on this. Everything sounds balanced and detailed. Detailed without overly boosted mid to upper fq.

Just my opinion:

Rich
    Yep, the entire Roxy Music (and Bryan Ferry) Catalog has been remastered a few years back -
    I grabbed them all in the Obi-sash mini-album form when they came out - quite nice to have all of that in very clean form!
    My old vinyl archives had suffered ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

12 mile Fuji vinyl safari ... I liked the Steve Winwood "Arc of a Diver" (couple of posts back) enuff that was happy to grab "Back in the High Life" today.

"Just 1 Night" is prolly Claptons best IMHO.

what can I say ? I like JB soundtrack albums....'cides , Miss Italy in a blue nighty classes up the record collection.

today was the most I've ever spent on LP's ..almost $14, 3 of the albums are doubles and all except the DeepPurple are in super condition. (the DP I wud call good) ...the white one with blocks on it is Pink Floyd 'The Wall'

Seawolf, That Steely Dan abum has the correct/original/best/most highly-sought-out version of one of their coolest songs ever...FM. Ive heard a newer/lamerrrr version that is on the cd and frankly, it sucks IMHO. That album is worth it weight in, lets say....Gold, for that song alone. The guitar work is very understated but very "Caliente" !
    Thats a keeper ther unless you got doubles.

Ashley! where are you? do you have a turntable my friend?
    (he would dig those james bond albums)
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information