Page 80 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180580 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Oregon

Picked this up today, very unique improv!

Is Oregon still around today?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oregon

Ralph Towner, a favorite of mine for over thirty years, has long lived in Italy. He still records for ECM, plays concerts, works with great European musicians and singers (John Taylor and Maria Pia De Vito for instance) and when I last heard was getting together with Oregon every year or so. Towner has always been the defacto leader of Oregon by virtue of his otherwordly skills as a musician and composer. His 1970's ECM pickup band Solstice is still a desert island pick for me.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Beatles '65

I think the best "pre-revolver" fab-four album, lots of Carl Perkins sounding rockabilly...

(decided to check out my guess next day..not too far off)

1. "No Reply" - 2:15
    2. "I'm a Loser" - 2:31
    3. "Baby's in Black" - 2:02
    4. "Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry) - 2:02
    5. "I'll Follow the Sun" - 1:46
    6. "Mr. Moonlight" (Roy Lee Johnson) - 2:35

1. "Honey Don't" (Carl Perkins) - 2:56
    2. "I'll Be Back" - 2:22
    3. "She's a Woman" - 2:57
    4. "I Feel Fine" - 2:20
    5. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" (Perkins) - 2:24

Quote Originally Posted by JBLOG View Post
    Is Oregon still around today?
    Just looked out the window,,,still there....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

the Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper

geeze, these guys are good ,
    dont know why they didnt make superstar status ?

Kooper founded BS&T and did their first record ,
    until getting kicked out and replaced with David Clayton-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    geeze, these guys are good ,
    dont know why they didnt make superstar status ?

They didn't? Try Super Session in which Bloomfield gets too wasted to show up for Day Two, and is replaced by a very young and dynamic Steve Stills.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-.../dp/B00008QSA5

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

They didn't? Try Super Session in which Bloomfield gets too wasted to show up for Day Two, and is replaced by a very young and dynamic Steve Stills.
    Well, I guess the point (that you missed) was that these guys had the skills to be superstars, but an album named "supersession" doesn't really qualify them for that label.
    Many rock aficionados know their music, but not their names. Maybe if they had been interested in stardom or the promo machine was working better or the trends had been in that direction or .or.or.??? they could have had stellar careers. As you mentioned, Stephan Stills did progress higher, but with the foundation of CSNY, before he finally had a solo career.

I started with SuperSession and have looked deeper as that really is a great album, so is "Child is father to the Man",,,,,and the search continues..

Any suggestions ??

Let's see what happens when the 4412A, L112, and L150A's are all in the same room for comparison.
    plse factor the L166A's in there too.

Al Kooper - hmm look up old Blues Project material
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Project

My favorite is the record of the Blues Project Reunion Tour, but I gather its a hard one to find these days. It was hard to find back then!
    I saw them in 1973 at DAR Consitution Hall in DC, and it was a great show, one of the 3 shows of that tour.
    I was a bit young for the earlier versions of the band, and the early albums were hit or miss with a varied lineup, and some of the earlier albums sound a bit dated to me...

I guess none of those "superstars" were really mainstream for long - even Stephen Stills isn't worthy of much notice these days, tho I saw "Manassas" a few times back in the day ...

Well, I guess the point (that you missed) was that these guys had the skills to be superstars, but an album named "supersession" doesn't really qualify them for that label.
    Many rock aficionados know their music, but not their names. Maybe if they had been interested in stardom or the promo machine was working better or the trends had been in that direction or .or.or.??? they could have had stellar careers. As you mentioned, Stephan Stills did progress higher, but with the foundation of CSNY, before he finally had a solo career.

I started with SuperSession and have looked deeper as that really is a great album, so is "Child is father to the Man",,,,,and the search continues..

Any suggestions ??

plse factor the L166A's in there too.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Stephen Stills isn't worthy of much notice these days, tho I saw "Manassas" a few times back in the day ...
    had read that Stills nearly died some months ago. I really like some some his solo material ie: Man Alive - spanish suite and "Go Back Home" and of course "Season of the Witch". Looks like CSN is doing concerts again and working on an album and Stills has found basement tpaes with he and Jimi Hendrix and will be releasing that also.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807100322/1039

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...nfirmed-163937

Not sure what Kooper is doing these days, but the was the talent behind many groups

No, actually, I didn't miss your point. My point was that to some of us, back then, these guys WERE superstars. If by "superstars" you meant known-to-the-masses, then maybe not. But in the days before You-Tube, Al Gore's Intranets, and MTV, many of us revered these players as the talent they were. Hence, "superstars". To say Bloomfield, for one, never became a superstar ignores his status among those who really enjoyed and knew the good music of the day. If "superstar" is based only on album sales or name recognition from teeny-boppers then many of our thread here like "best bass-player" that recognize talent over popularity aren't worthy, either. Brittany Spears is a "superstar" but not recognized as such for any musical talent I've noticed. Am I nit-picking?

Stills was revered for his work with Buffalo Springfield well before CSN; Crosby for his songwriting, Byrds work, and others; and Nash of course for The Hollies. Their fame before CSN is what qualified CSN as a "Super Group". I heard CSN two years ago on Crosby's 64th birthday. A fantastic show even as Stills struggled to hit the vocals and had to be covered by the others. My daughter gave him great credit for trying but was saddened to see he'd aged even more than the run-hard Crosby or the apparently ageless Nash.

We saw them again just about a week ago right here in town in an outside venue. Packed house, sellout crowd. Even I balked at the almost $90/ticket included facility charges and broker fees just to get into the good seats. Steep for our little town. But the show was awesome. Way more energy than those old guys should have been capable of. Stills looked a bit tired, rested in the guitar-tech corner frequently, but did surprisingly well on his vocal assignments and had moments of brilliance on the guitar. Crosby and Nash were spot-on, as usual. My wife and my daughter felt it was one of the best concerts they'd seen. And Nash even took the time to have his photo taken hugging my daughter and talking with her, after the show. Even gave her a kiss and a "Thanks, Luv."

The point? It's arguable they all attained superstar status in this configuration, but to many of us they already were superstars and that's what made CSN such an immediately superb collaboration. And to say Bloomfield never attained such status flies in the face of the world's foremost authority, Wikipedia , which writes:
    Michael Bernard Bloomfield (July 28, 1943, Chicago, IllinoisFebruary 15, 1981, San Francisco California), an American musician, guitarist, and composer, born in Chicago, Illinois, became one of the first popular music superstars of the 1960s to earn his reputation entirely on his instrumental prowess. . . . In 2003 he was also also ranked at number 22 on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".
    That was pretty much my point; that in fact Kooper and Bloomfield were superstars and that's why the later album chose the name "Super Session". It wasn't a self-fulfilling prophecy, it was a fact at the time.

All that being said, I worked sound for the Boston concert in Richmond last night. Their Greatest Hits Tour. I was impressed. Again with Wikipedia:
    The debut album, Boston, released in August 1976, was an enormous success. The record still ranks as the best-selling debut album in U.S. history with over 17 million copies sold.
    They put on a great show and I'm no Boston fan nor do I own any Boston recordings. Capacity crowd of 7,000 or so outside. Lots of JBLs. Seems the traveling rig provided by Clair wasn't used because the Clair tech didn't approve of the scaffolding on-site, so they used the local company's JBL Vertec line-arrays, six-or-so to the side, plus center-fills, with about ten dual-18" sub cabinets underneath on each side. Lots of Crown 5200s. Sounded great! So that's what I'm listening to now, since it's still ringing in my ears! 95dB limit at FOH, exceeded briefly occasionally; 65dB at the property line. According to the local LEOs, the highway traffic was louder than the ordinance's limits at the property line and exceeded the PA level. Makes you wonder why the limit? Their sound guy's comment on the plethora of Tom Scholz's "Rockman" equipment on stage, "It isn't supposed to sound good, it's supposed to sound like Boston."

. My point was that to some of us, back then, these guys WERE superstars.
    Phil
    I guess that well illustrates the "east coast" vs "west coast" differences. I think pop music was a bit less global back then and there was a lot more regionalism. Maybe the vast population masses of the east saw them as superstars, but airplay in the west was limited.
    I had that feeling about The Byrds (went to school with Roger McGuinn) , that they never achieved the popularity on the East that they had in the West.

I think we can agree that Kooper and Bloomfield were underachievers, despite their accomplishments.

I guess that well illustrates the "east coast" vs "west coast" differences. I think pop music was a bit less global back then and there was a lot more regionalism. Maybe the vast population masses of the east saw them as superstars, but airplay in the west was limited.
    I had that feeling about The Byrds (went to school with Roger McGuinn) , that they never achieved the popularity on the East that they had in the West.
    Which may actually speak more to the egocentric viewpoint we Easterners ascribe to you West Coasters; ie. that West-Coasters feel California is the center of the universe. Well, maybe that used to be true vis-ŕ-vis JBL!, and granted many of the best all-time musical groups formed in California, but if you check the facts, groups like The Byrds were playing to packed houses in college towns across the USA as early as 1969. Even I heard them at the Boston Tea Party in 1969 and I didn't graduate from high-school until 1971 and was living in St. Louis at the time. You can check their concert calendar and see that (despite the 1969 listing incorrectly showing four shows in Boston as being in "Oregon"), they made the rounds 'back East with great regularity. Could be that's why there even was a Fillmore East. http://www.geocities.com/byrdsflyght/concerts69.htm
    Heck, they even played in my new home town at UVA's basketball arena in 1968. By 1971 they were playing more on the East Coast than they were on the West Coast.

Now, what were those differences again? I seem to recall Woodstock being an East Coast event. That was the rock festival without the Hell's Angels or the riots in case you don't remember or were doing something more West-Coast oriented at the time, like contemplating your navel.

Aw, Phil....you are just too cute for your own good, sometimes.

Now, what were those differences again? I seem to recall Woodstock being an East Coast event.
    Why ? see ==>> massive east coast population

Which may actually speak more to the egocentric viewpoint we Easterners ascribe to you West Coasters; ie. that West-Coasters feel California is the center of the universe.
    Well, I am an ex-Californian, but have never mentioned it here. Center of the Universe ? We Oregonians dislike it as much here as you seem to.

in case you don't remember or were doing something more West-Coast oriented at the time, like contemplating your navel.

TooFugginCute
    !!!! I was doing something more USA oriented. Spent 69,70,72 in VietNam.

Any body listen to this DVD

Elton John, Dream Ticket. Specifically DVD 3 Ephesus, The great Amphitheatre-Rocket Man. Don't care about the man's sexual preference. The guy can play the piano like non other. Highly recommended
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

I was doing something more USA oriented. Spent 69,70,72 in VietNam.
    Ahh yes, while that fellow Californian, Richard M. Nixon, was contemplating his navel.

I remember that era well. What was my draft number? 270-something? Wiki found it: 258. But my Dad (a twenty-year Navy vet of two wars, who chose to retire out of frustration with the service as a Captain only months before he'd have made Admiral) told me if I got a low number he'd drive me to Canada. Even then he was smart enough to know that was not a war we should be fighting. Thankfully he passed away a long time before he had to see the current mess we're embroiled in.

The only thing we're doing right about this war is all U.S. citizens are supporting our service men and women while they're there, and when they return. We've learned not to take our frustration out on those who only serve at the order of the Pres. Never could figure out why we blamed draftees for the war. I just protested recruiting for the war on campus. I only regret I forgot to bring the marshmallows to the ROTC bonfire at Washington University in St. Louis.

Thanks for your service. Glad your memories still allow you to enjoy visiting Nam. Some of my friends weren't that lucky.

More to the topic: Norah Jones: Not Too Late on the L7s.

that was not a war we should be fighting.
    Some of my friends weren't that lucky..
    totally agree , but sometimes its hard to see when you are in the middle of it and have signed a 4 year contract. I made the same statement about taking him to Canada, in the event, to my son.

I'm a big believer in that you "make your own luck"...(generally)

BACK TO TOPIC !!!

I picked up Bloomfield & Kooper's album "The Gospel of Blues", not knowing what I was getting....seems to be all instrumental bluesish versions of gospel music....really mellow and different....Google doesnt seen to know much about it.

Thread Information