Page 720 of 721 FirstFirst ... 220620670710718719720721 LastLast
Results 10,786 to 10,800 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Steve Miller

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    From your link, "..Keith Richards, the best worst guitar player ever!" I agree, think he gets too much credit. I like him, but Ronnie Wood does a better job IMO. Although I gotta say, the opening to "Honky Tonk Women" is great. That riff is great, especially when Charlie Watts' percussion comes splashing in.

Hey Fritz, you got any Steve Miller in your collection? Lookin' to hear "Behind the Barn."
    There are several posts here for the albums of Steve Miller by Fritz The Cat
    https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post410968
    PS: There are 29 LPs/Cds/Singles in my collection
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Yeah, but that was 2017! It's almost 2024, time to spin them one more time!

My Dark Hour! I practically just discovered that tune along with knowledge that Paul can play the drums, pretty rad. Fritz does indeed have himself quite the collection.

Funny you also mentioned Glynn Johns. I think he's overrated too. Wasn't he going to produce some Eagles album but was then fired?

Glyn Johns

My Dark Hour! I practically just discovered that tune along with knowledge that Paul can play the drums, pretty rad. Fritz does indeed have himself quite the collection.

Funny you also mentioned Glynn Johns. I think he's overrated too. Wasn't he going to produce some Eagles album but was then fired?
    Glyn Johns "made" the WHO. And that's the principal thing of his musical (and my!!!) life.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

As a reference to the topic you should push the button "reply with quote", if you want to add a comment or a question to a post. Guten Abend, Derek! Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Glyn Johns "made" the WHO. And that's the principal thing of his musical (and my!!!) life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    As a reference to the topic you should push the button "reply with quote", if you want to add a comment or a question to a post. Guten Abend, Derek! Fritz

Grüße, Fritz! Ich werde versuchen, den Knopf zu benutzen. Although I often get distracted with looking into the topic and then forget or have exited out of the window with the original post, so I end up citing what I do remember to help tie things together.

Ah, The Who. I have "Tommy" in my collection, two copies of it for some reason. I have not had a jam session with their material yet. Didn't realize Glyn produced Steve Miller, or at least some of his stuff, like "My Dark Hour". Although it might be worth noting I've heard the remastered version of that tune, as well as the remasters of Miller's other stuff too, except "Mercury Blues", which is my top Miller tune. My recollection of material I've heard which has Glyn's signature on it is that it's a bit thin and could use more stereo creativity, especially the Rolling Stones, with one exception- Rainbow from that holographic album of theirs.. Could've just been the equipment available at the time though. Exile On Mainstreet sounded OK, but that's about when (for me anyway) quality began to pick up considerably. Some of my favorite sounding material from that era happens to be from ZZ Top, right down to their first album. "(Somebody Else Been) Shakin' Your Tree" is a damn fine jam. Doesn't sound all "moldy" like the early stuff from the band Mountain, for example. I do not know what attributes to that difference, but I chalk it up to technology and how they mic'd the instruments.

Boots Randolph, Hit Boots, 1970, Monument US, SLP 18144

Boots goes Flower Power.
    1970: wonderful year of making "peace not war". Flowers and sunshine in and on our hair. Plenty of hair then...
    Listen to A3 "Both sides now": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4CX5BJaGg

Attached Images Attached Images   

Boots Randolph, Yakety Sax!, 1963, Monument US, SLP 18002, Stereo, Reissue

60 years are gone since this one.
    Produced in Nashville by Fred Foster (1931-2019). He was the founder of Monument Records. This album was recorded monaurally and stereophonically.

Note on back cover sleeve: "A Monument Record Is A Sound Investment!" Agreed with this one, but not with those pressings and sleeves by Monument of the later 70ies.
    Listen to B6. Happy slow dancing to "I really don't want to know": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BziSs3err_8

Rockabilly Stars Vol 1, 1981, Epic USA, EG 37618, 2LP

2024 will be a Rockabilly Year. Yes or Not?

It sure can be. I sure appreciate how Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats revived it in the 80's and on. Ever watch his concert from 2001? It was titled, "Live in Japan" I think. I've got it and seem to watch it at least once a year. "Drive like Lightning, Crash like Thunder" is great as is "Guitar Rag" and many others. Incorporates lots of surf guitar and rockabilly themes. I feel Brian was at his best for that show.

Brian Setzer

It sure can be. I sure appreciate how Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats revived it in the 80's and on. Ever watch his concert from 2001? It was titled, "Live in Japan" I think. I've got it and seem to watch it at least once a year. "Drive like Lightning, Crash like Thunder" is great as is "Guitar Rag" and many others. Incorporates lots of surf guitar and rockabilly themes. I feel Brian was at his best for that show.
    Agreed!

Greg Lake, Manoeuvres, 1983, Chrysalis Germany, 205 714

After "Just take a pebble" and "Lucky man": this is the voice of Prog Rock (King Crimson; ELP) and it's definitively the most beautiful Greg Lake album. (Except "Famous last words": too much synthesizer - forgetit. But after all totally underrated - after these 40 years.
    "I don't know why i still love you" B5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wwUbcfXf8
    and "Haunted" B4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQQxJmbUgxQ
    Great voice and songs.

Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway: City of Gold, Crooked Tree

I December my wife and I had the privilege of seeing rising star of a new Bluegrass movement in the tiny Troubadour in West Hollywood.

Molly Tuttle had been building a name as an amazing flat-picker in the late 20teens only to hit a big speedbump with COVID. During that time she put together a great traditional Bluegrass quintet of young players: Fiddle, Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar and Bass. With the quintet her focus is more on songwriting and the ensemble. You can look on youtube and see her on stage with Billy Strings and Tommy Emmanuel among others.

Her music is hold to a lot of traditional outlaw mountain music, but instead of echos of moonshiners we get references to the growers. It was a real treat to see an acoustic quintet 10 feet from the stage as this type of music should be experienced.

And her records are goo too.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

I can't quite make it out, but it looks to be either a mid 60's Lincoln Continental or C-body Chrysler she's sitting in.

Chick Churchill, You & Me, 1974, Chrysalis Germany, 6307 525

Ten Years After keyboarder Chick Churchill's only solo album was recorded in 1973 with the help of Supertramps Rick Davies dr and Rodger Hodgson b, g. Martin Barre (Jethro Tull) guitars, Cozy Powell dr. Leo Lyons b and Rick Lee dr from Ten Years After. Bernie Marsden guitars (1951-2023). After splitting apart of TYA Churchill became Professional Manager at Chrysalis Music.
    Vocals by Gary Pickford-Hopkins are the only flaw of this one.
    Listen to the fantastic instrumental B4 "Chiswick Flyover": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXwO5iigcE

Bo Hansson, Attic Thoughts, 1976, Sire USA, SASD 7525

A happy prank by Hansson and Carlsson and their peers from Stockholm. Listen to B5 "The Happy Prank"

Thread Information