Page 173 of 721 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273673 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Cold Blood - Thriller
    (1973, Reprise)

includes a nice cover arrangement of Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life". This San Francisco group had both jazz-rock and funk influences, ...and Lydia Pense on vocals.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Beaver & Krause - Gandharva / Soundtrack From A Non-Existant Film
    (1971, Warner Bros) Artisan symbol in the deadwax

wow, this is interesting. I have an earlier B&K title, and it's experimental but they really pull out all the stops here. Side 2 is recorded in Grace Cathedral, SF. Bernard Krause/Paul Beaver on Moog, Hammond and Pipe organ, Mike Bloomfield on guitar, Gerry Mulligan on baritone sax, Howard Roberts on guitar, Bud Shank on sax, flute, Clydie King on vocals. Ronnie Montrose also recorded on guitar on various pieces. Liner notes indicate that some of this music is an outgrowth of work they did for the soundtrack for the Mick Jagger movie Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Must have been listening to the "Classic Rock" station on the way over to the show...most everything I picked up was 60's/70's...

NightOwl did not have as many dollar boxes as the Lloyd Ctr. show. So the combination of mostly concentrating on buck boxes and scrupulous attention to surface condition and not experimenting too much with new genres limits what I can grab before crowd overload.

2 ZZTops
    2 Rare Earths
    Procol Harum with Edmonton Symphony
    I'm building my early FleetwoodMac when possible
    best of Dave Mason
    BuffSpring Again has great track listing
    Tattoo You - the album that a noted forum critic calls "the last great Stones album"
    - only weak track is "Neighbors"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_You

Tattoo You is the 16th British and 18th American studio album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1981. The follow-up to Emotional Rescue, it proved to be a big critical and commercial success. A very popular album upon release, it is the last Rolling Stones album to reach the top position of the US charts, ending a string of number ones dating back to 1971's Sticky Fingers.
    Critical reaction
    Reviews for Tattoo You were largely positive, proclaiming the album a return to form and ranking among the Rolling Stones' finest works. Debra Rae Cohen commented in Rolling Stone, "Just when we might finally have lost patience, the new record dances (not prances), rocks (not jives) onto the scene, and the Rolling Stones are back again, with a matter-of-fact acceptance of their continued existence – and eventual mortality.
    Accolades
    In 1989, it was ranked #34 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s. In 2003, the album was ranked number 211 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
    All strong titles, sounds like you made good use of your time.

...although I'm wary of the Vanilla Fudge, can't recall how that one sounds but I really hate "The Beat Goes On". and it's not a so-bad-it's-good kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Cold Blood - Thriller
    (1973, Reprise)
    includes a nice cover arrangement of Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life". This San Francisco group had both jazz-rock and funk influences, ...and Lydia Pense on vocals.
    yup, I really liked Lydia on the first, self titled album ...wish I had more.....
    Lydia & CB inspired Zephyr , who is very similar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyr_%28band%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Pense

Lydia Pense (born Lydia Jane Pense in San Francisco, California on December 14, 1947) [1] is an American rock-soul-jazz singer who since 1969 has performed with the band Cold Blood. Her style has been compared to powerful singers including Janis Joplin (who recommended the band to Bill Graham for their first audition), Aretha Franklin and Teena Marie.

...although I'm wary of the Vanilla Fudge, can't recall how that one sounds but I really hate "The Beat Goes On". and it's not a so-bad-it's-good kind of deal.
    VF has turned out to be the weak one so far...oh well, only a dollar mistake.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Blues Magoos - Psychedelic Lollipop
    (1966, Mercury) reissue

a recent record show pickup.

Those Guys--Again?

The Blues Magoos - Psychedelic Lollipop
    (1966, Mercury) reissue

a recent record show pickup.
    Whoa--there's one of the first of the fad followers from The Day. I bought that thing when it first came out, and, after having listened (religiously) to the 13th Floor Elevators--probably the only guy at WVU, capital of Motown, who did such a thing at that time, I thought maybe I'd made a mistake when I heard Magoos music floating out of a frat house window on my way home with it in a bag, but it turns out they did a really fine job on their version of "Tobacco Road." I still like it. "Incense and Peppermints," though....

rainy & cold today....

looked out the window and said YUK ...then I remembered why I've been buying rain gear all summer .... rode to SA but everything was beat up...got to talking to another vinyl seeker (who got zilch also) and told him about the bookstore a half mile away...by the time I got there , he was already pawing thru...I came up with 5 and asked the clerk if I can get a referral fee...she gave me a free LP.

Found Quicksilver Msg Service "what about me" ..but no jacket...so transplanted it to this UK 12 TOPS empty jacket....prolly better than the original cover (have NEVER seen this QMS album b4)

Oh, just couldnt resist "Flower Power Sitar" GMV actually has a nice track selection too...FYC ?? listened to their 12in. single of "She drives me Crazy" yesterday , sure makes the big AR's wake up ...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Blues Magoos - Psychedelic Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Whoa--there's one of the first of the fad followers from The Day. I bought that thing when it first came out, and, after having listened (religiously) to the 13th Floor Elevators--probably the only guy at WVU, capital of Motown, who did such a thing at that time, I thought maybe I'd made a mistake when I heard Magoos music floating out of a frat house window on my way home with it in a bag, but it turns out they did a really fine job on their version of "Tobacco Road." I still like it. "Incense and Peppermints," though....
    Yeah, agree, it's a nice cover of Tobacco Road. yes they are no 13th Floor Elevators but they are worth another listen, and not throwaway bubblegum pop like.... you made me go look... ...."Incense and Peppermint" was a Strawberry Alarm Clock song.

Lydia Pense (born Lydia Jane Pense in San Francisco, California on December 14, 1947) [1] is an American rock-soul-jazz singer who since 1969 has performed with the band Cold Blood. Her style has been compared to powerful singers including Janis Joplin (who recommended the band to Bill Graham for their first audition), Aretha Franklin and Teena Marie.

Yep. Someone characterized Cold Blood w/ Lydia as "Blood, Sweat & Tears with Janis Joplin on Lead vocals" -- I agree but I think Lydia was a bit smoother and less a screamer than Janis. It's a shame we couldn't hear the blues singer that Janis would have grown into...

Oh, just couldnt resist "Flower Power Sitar"
    for a buck? I wouldn't have left the store without that one either.

earlier
    The John Cameron Quartet - Off Centre
    (1969, Deram) Bell Sound SF in the deadwax; Promo/NS (sticker on back cover)

Thrift find last week. I was not familiar with artist but glad I grabbed this. Some really nice jazz playing here from 4 white British guys. wonderful Bell Sound pressing. ...research turns up[/URL]: John Cameron was British composer / arranger / pianist - he worked with Donovan. This was apparently the only jazz record he did. unusual time signatures on piano – typical of the British Jazz around that period. great playing by Cameron; Harold McNair, sax and flute; Danny Thompson, bass, and drummer Tony Carr.

right now
    Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    (1977, Sire) mastered at Sterling Sound by Greg Calbi

ranked number 105 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Steve Kuhn - Ecstasy
    (1975, ECM) MASTERDISK in the deadwax, side 1; MASTERDISK RL, side 2; mastered by Robert Ludwig

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates
    (1973, MCA)

double live LP recorded at several UK dates, June 1973. Recorded on the Rolling Stones 16 track mobile.
    I saw these guys in concert about this time, either '73 or '74 - quite a show. an overwhelming guitar attack with those Flying-V guitars, a wall of progressive/hard rock.

OOPS! Plus The Seeds

Blues Magoos - Psychedelic Lollipop

Yeah, agree, it's a nice cover of Tobacco Road. yes they are no 13th Floor Elevators but they are worth another listen, and not throwaway bubblegum pop like.... you made me go look... ...."Incense and Peppermint" was a Strawberry Alarm Clock song.
    You're perfectly right. I'm sorry I classed the Magoos with The Strawberry Alarm Clock-Lemon Pipers crowd. I guess my memory isn't whatever it used to be--I could've looked at the song list on the cover photo, but didn't, and, oh the shame, my formerly encyclopedic knowledge of this maligned sub-genre--now blindingly revealed as faulty.

And now, to change the subject, would you call the Seeds "psychedelic" or "proto-punk"? I just got a CD collection of all the Seeds stuff ("The Seeds," "Web of Sound," and "The Sky Saxon Blues Band with a Spoonful of Seedy Blues") I hadn't heard since vinyl days. Some of it is actually as good as I remember. A lot of it, however....

Shiva's Headband - Take Me To The Mountains
    (1969, Capitol)

an early Texas psychedelic rock band, contemporaries of the 13th Floor Elevators in the Austin area. includes sounds from violin, recorder, electric piano, classical guitar, harpsicord, kazoo.

The Seeds - Future
    (1967, GNP Crescendo)

garage band goes full blown 1967 flower power psychedelic with songs "Travel With Your Mind" and "March Of The Flower Children".

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    You're perfectly right. I'm sorry I classed the Magoos with The Strawberry Alarm Clock-Lemon Pipers crowd. I guess my memory isn't whatever it used to be--I could've looked at the song list on the cover photo, but didn't, and, oh the shame, my formerly encyclopedic knowledge of this maligned sub-genre--now blindingly revealed as faulty.

And now, to change the subject, would you call the Seeds "psychedelic" or "proto-punk"? I just got a CD collection of all the Seeds stuff ("The Seeds," "Web of Sound," and "The Sky Saxon Blues Band with a Spoonful of Seedy Blues") I hadn't heard since vinyl days. Some of it is actually as good as I remember. A lot of it, however....
    >> I guess my memory isn't whatever it used to be <<

What were we talking about...?

Yes, some of the stuff is repetitive and raw, but this old stuff is interesting to me and I even have patience for the so-bad-it's-good stuff. I think I hear garage and psychedelic. fun stuff.

Thread Information