Page 129 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229629 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Thirteenth Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
    (1967, International Artists) 1979 repressing with "Masterfonics" in the deadwax

Trippy and hypnotic from the first track, Slip Inside This House, which clocks in at over 8 minutes.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    (1970, Apple)
    Happy Birthday, George Harrison. I haven't listened to ATMP in awhile, was reminded as soon as side one started spinning that this is a classic, great record.
    really agree here...I have 2 of the boxed sets.....tho disk #3 doesn't get played often.
    (if ever again)

NP:Capitol Records: 1942-2002

you can hear samples here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/capitol-reco.../60568674.html

THE FORTIES
    1. Freddie Slack & His Orchestra (with Ella Mae Morse) - Cow-Cow Boogie (1942) 2. Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra (with Billie Holiday) - Trav'lin' Light (1942) 3. Jo Stafford - Long Ago (And Far Away) (1944) 4. King Cole Trio - Straighten Up And Fly Right (1944) 5. Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Artistry In Rhythm (1944) 6. Billy Butterfield & His Orchestra (with Margaret Whiting) - Moonlight In Vermont (1945) 7. Andy Russell - I Dream Of You (More Than You Dream I Do) (1944) 8. Martha Tilton - I'll Walk Alone (1944) 9. Johnny Mercer - Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive (1945) 10. Betty Hutton - Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief (1946) 11. Pied Pipers - Dream (1945) 12. Nellie Lutcher & Her Rhythm - Fine Brown Frame (1948) 13. Peggy Lee - It's A Good Day (1947) 14. The Dinning Sisters - Buttons And Bows (1948) 15. Mel Torme - Careless Hands (1949) 16. King Cole Trio - Nature Boy (1948).
    THE FIFTIES
    1. Frank Sinatra - Young-At-Heart (1954) 2. Dean Martin - Memories Are Made Of This (1956) 3. Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra - Satin Doll (1953) 4. Nat King Cole - Unforgettable (1952) 5. The Four Preps - 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) (1958) 6. Kay Starr - Wheel Of Fortune (1952) 7. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon (1951) 8. Faron Young - Alone With You (1958) 9. Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Be-Bop-A-Lula (1956) 10. The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley (1958) 11. Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons (1955) 12. Peggy Lee - Fever (1958) 13. Ray Anthony & His Orchestra - Peter Gunn (1959) 14. Louis Prima & Keely Smith - That Old Black Magic (1958) 15. Miles Davis - Budo (1950) 16. Frank Sinatra - One For My Baby (And One More For the Road) (1955).
    THE SIXTIES
    1. The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (1964) 2. The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice (1966) 3. Lou Rawls - Love Is A Hurtin' Thing (1966) 4. The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (1966) 5. The Human Beinz - Nobody But Me (1968) 6. The Outsiders - Time Won't Let Me (1966) 7. Stone Poneys featuring Linda Ronstadt - Different Drum (1968) 8. Nancy Wilson - (You Don't Know) How Glad I Am (1964) 9. Merle Haggard & the Strangers - Okie From Muskogee (1969) 10. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Fresh Air (1970) 11. Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe (1967) 12. Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman (1969) 13. James Taylor - Carolina In My Mind (1969) 14. The Band - The Weight (1968) 15. The Beatles - Hey Jude (1968) 16. Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun (1970).
    THE SEVENTIES
    1. John Lennon & the Plastic Ono Band - Imagine (1971) 2. George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (1970) 3. Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy (1971) 4. Badfinger - Day After Day (1972) 5. Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On the Run (1974) 6. Pink Floyd - Time (1973) 7. Pink Floyd - Money (1973) 8. Grand Funk - We're An American Band (1973) 9. Steve Miller Band - The Joker (1973) 10. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves (1977) 11. Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good (1974) 12. Natalie Cole - This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) (1975) 13. Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel (1976) 14. Helen Reddy - I Am Woman (1972) 15. A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie (1976) 16. The Knack - My Sharona (1979).
    THE EIGHTIES
    1. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Against The Wind (1980) 2. Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over (1987) 3. Billy Squier - The Stroke (1981) 4. Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On (1986) 5. Katrina And The Waves - Walking On Sunshine (1985) 6. Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra (1982) 7. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science (1983) 8. The Tubes - She's A Beauty (1983) 9. The Motels - Only The Lonely (1982) 10. George Clinton - Atomic Dog (1983) 11. Duran Duran - Rio (1983) 12. Heart - These Dreams (1986) 13. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It (1984) 14. The Power Station - Some Like It Hot (1985) 15. Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn (1988) 16. Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies (1989).
    THE NINETIES
    1. Radiohead - Creep (1993) 2. Beastie Boys - Sabotage (1994) 3. Everclear - Santa Monica (Watch The World Die) (1996) 4. Foo Fighters - Big Me (1996) 5. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (1995) 6. M.C. Ham
    (rest of 90's got cut off)

do you know that John Mayall turns 77 this year ???

wow..from the news: do you know this singer ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Johnny Cash - Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian
    (1964, Columbia) Mono pressing

Happy Birthday, Johnny Cash. Alot of acoustic + spoken word tracks here, prefer the ones with guitar & rhythm section such as "Custer". Norman Blake, The Carter family play on this record.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    wow..from the news: do you know this singer ?
    "...I Bet You Think This Song Is About You..."

Accolade - Self Titled
    (1970, Capitol) Winchester rifle symbol in the deadwax - capitol mastering winchester, va

British pop/rock with Gordon Giltrap and Don Partridge - some nice instrumental jams here w/ bass, flute, vibes.

Wet day ..put on the rain gear and headed out on a short 6 miler ....this Mike Oldfield double looked interesting...Randy Meisner had been mentioned in a great guitarist thread , so I'll give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frank Sinatra - Sinatra At The Sands
    (1966, Reprise) Mono pressing

First live album that Sinatra released, it sounds like he's having fun with Basie, Quincy Jones who is conducting, and the audience, with some funny asides and quips in between songs. Piano, percussion and band sounds great and swings and it's Sinatra in the 1960's in his prime at age 51.

The Three - Self Titled
    (1975, Eastwind) Japanese pressing; "direct cutting"

Shelly Manne, Ray Brown, Joe Sample; a great sounding recording on the JBL 4425s. Note inside the gatefold cover: "in monitor room the large loudspeaker system, Westlake Model TM-2 is used for this record. In case of listening to this record with small home type loudspeakers proper tone quality is available with the following tone control adjustment: side 1 and 2: Treble Control (6KHz-12KHz) ---- -----+4db"

Redwing - Self titled
    (1971, Fantasy) Promo/NFS

A yard sale pickup this morning, a Sacramento band, they sound a bit like CCR - good stuff. Timothy B. Schmit was w/ earlier versions of this band (New Breed, Glad), before leaving to join Poco in 1970. Glowing liner notes here from Ralph J. Gleason.

Dave Edmunds - Rockpile
    (1971, EMI/Regal) Great Britain pressing

Holy smokes this is a nice sounding record. I'm familiar and a big fan of the later 70s Edmunds / Rockpile records, nice to hear an earlier title, and one of the songs here was recorded in 1966 according to the cover notes.

Gabor Szabo - Mizrab
    (1972, CTI) VAN GELDER in the deadwax

Really enjoy Szabo's playing - described as a "metallic sound and mixture of single-note phrasings with chordal flurries". Nice production here with accompaniment from Jack DeJohnette, Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, Bob James, Ralph MacDonald. and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder.

Laura Nyro - More Than A New Discovery
    (1967, Verve Forecast) FTS 3020

Ring wear on the cover, but the record looks and plays great, another no-brainer from the dollar box this weekend. Wow a strong first album, I'm going to need to listen to Wedding Bell Blues, Stoney End, and a couple of others again... lovin' the Laura...

The 13th Floor Elevators

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Thirteenth Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
    Trippy and hypnotic from the first track, Slip Inside This House, which clocks in at over 8 minutes.
    Yep, the first group from anywhere to call themselves "psychedelic" was from, of all places, Texas. I have the original pressings of all their albums. One can hear echoes of their performances in the later music of many groups, including the Rolling Stones. Their first album was a blueprint for what would much later become punk; this one, Easter Everywhere, their "masterpiece," defies meaningful description and is one of my all-time favorites, regardless of the poor recording quality typical of all their stuff. Coincidentally, I was listening to a CD of it this morning on my way to work. Isn't the sound produced by, weirdly, the electrified jug (!) unique?

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Yep, the first group from anywhere to call themselves "psychedelic" was from, of all places, Texas. I have the original pressings of all their albums. One can hear echoes of their performances in the later music of many groups, including the Rolling Stones. Their first album was a blueprint for what would much later become punk; this one, Easter Everywhere, their "masterpiece," defies meaningful description and is one of my all-time favorites, regardless of the poor recording quality typical of all their stuff. Coincidentally, I was listening to a CD of it this morning on my way to work. Isn't the sound produced by, weirdly, the electrified jug (!) unique?
    I actually watched "You're Gonna Miss Me : A Film About Roky Erickson"

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Gonna-Mi...7559922&sr=1-1

quite a story: from the Amazon description:

Amazon.com

In the annals of spooked rock, Roky Erickson is a legend. When you hear his wobbling, impassioned, vocal yowl, you have to admit: He could've been a sort of psychedelic, proto-punk, American Van Morrison. Alas, history has been less kind to Roky. Kevin McAlester's documentary discloses precisely why (and how) Roky's early status as an icon--a maverick rock genius as demonstrated by his band, the 13th Floor Elevators--went sadly awry. At the center of You're Gonna Miss Me are some crucial dramatic tropes: a terribly broken family; a pressing, age-old "Am I my brother's keeper" predicament; and a relatively simple case of schizophrenia. The film opens in a courtroom, Erickson's aging and awkward mother, Evelyn, and his youngest brother, Sumner, locked in a battle for guardianship over the then-53-year-old, mentally imbalanced singer. The film captures Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Patti Smith, and Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), among others, testifying to Roky's non-pareil genius. Also present, however, are tales of Roky's singular madness--extended acid and heroin binges and, alas, his then-present-day condition, living in cramped, decrepit quarters with an array of transistor radios, stereos, TVs, and keyboards, all cranked fully as he placidly reclines or wanders aimlessly. The film painstakingly shows the Erickson family's longstanding fissures, contextualizing Roky's schizophrenia and, disarmingly, putting his mother's own awkward idiosyncratic behavior on display. Lee Daniel's cinematography brilliantly captures the desolation and desperation of Roky's life, camera shaking and panning and finding hidden angles to show the strange, seemingly endless schizophrenic signs around the singer--dozens of antennae, stacks and stacks of mail strewn throughout his apartment, and Evelyn's complicated obsession with Roky's history--from his highpoints as a rocker to his tragic three-year stay at the Rusk State Hospital for marijuana possession (where, for example, he played in an ad hoc band with a couple of murderers, a rapist, and, improbably, a hospital counselor) to her own, eerie film project where she casts Roky as "the king of the beasts" in a home-movie she undertakes as a "legacy" for the family. The film is all about otherworldly dimensions, centering in large part on youngest brother, Sumner--himself an accomplished musician playing tuba with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra--and his legal battle to become Roky's guardian and get Roky "simple medical care" and medication for his schizophrenia. This is an important chapter in the history of rock, without the underlying humor that made Dig! an indie film hit in 2005 but with a much larger historical purview. --Andrew Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Isn't the sound produced by, weirdly, the electrified jug (!) unique?
    Yeah that jug sound is very cool and a great contribution from Tommy Hall, the bands songwriter and, as a Univ of Texas Chemistry major, I've read that he provided alot of lysergic inspiration for them. Here's a couple of clips of them performing on the Dick Clark show: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/...13th_floor.php

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I actually watched "You're Gonna Miss Me : A Film About Roky Erickson"
    Tragic story. It must have been incredibly grim to navigate the Texas criminal justice system on drug charges back then.

Bob Dylan / The Band - Before The Flood
    (1974, Asylum) KENDUN in the deadwax; 2 LPs w/ sides 1&4 + 2&3

documenting the Bob Dylan and The Band 1974 Tour, drawing mostly from LA shows; also on shows from New York City, Seattle, and Oakland.
    damn, I wish I'd seen this concert. The Band sounds great behind Bob here; very well recorded.

Thread Information