Page 64 of 721 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

The sweet, sweet sounds of Time, the forgotten Fleetwood Mac album boasting the best lineup since the Peter Green / Danny Kirwan days.

I missed this band playing locally when I heard of the appearance the day after they played. Crap!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Some big plastic thingee - (Old vinyl)
    Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen - a long jam of "Dear Mr. Fantasy"
    (except it doesn't actually say Traffic on the jacket, just lists the players ... Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Dave Mason , Chris Wood, Rick Grech, Rebop Kwaku Baah, Jim Gordon
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

John Barleycorn is much better though...

I have that one on vinyl also. I never really noticed it omitted the Traffic name (only had it for about 35 years or so). I also have it on CD, and it has Traffic on the spine of the case, and on the disc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Some big plastic thingee - (Old vinyl)
    Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen - a long jam of "Dear Mr. Fantasy"
    (except it doesn't actually say Traffic on the jacket, just lists the players ... Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Dave Mason , Chris Wood, Rick Grech, Rebop Kwaku Baah, Jim Gordon

The Golliwogs (I think those guys have potential)

picked up the 6 disk set - "Keep on Chooglin'", first disk is "The Blue Velvets" (crap) and "The Golliwogs"....pretty good ...nice JF tuning up for CCR fame...

http://www.amazon.com/Creedence-Clea...n=5174&s=music
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

shellac : excellent italian greyhound.

expirimental music from the legendary steve albini
    love him or .....
    beuatifully recorded with enough power in the lower regions wich lacked at previous recordings.
    three musicians always sound good. never gets messy
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

converge : no heroes.
    for the metalheads among us. nice recording and especially guitars sound great in combination with the energized drums.
    technically a skilled band. dont let the screams and noise set you of. great band

wende snijders , singing france chansons with a lot of emotion.
    this recording is excellent, a lot of space, pin pointing you name it.
    her voice is dramatic and great articulation
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

00Robin
    All of things,watching some tv show last night what was on in the background that blew me right back to the 70's,the weather the smells,where I was,and whose turn it was...none other than 'Satellite of Love' songs are so amazing. I hadn't heard that song in 30 plus years and I was STRAINING to hear the whole thing while ignoring the show. I hate that. Straining to hear a song i NEEDED to hear again. Ah well,I'll dig it up here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    All of things,watching some tv show last night what was on in the background that blew me right back to the 70's,the weather the smells,where I was,and whose turn it was...none other than 'Satellite of Love' songs are so amazing. I hadn't heard that song in 30 plus years and I was STRAINING to hear the whole thing while ignoring the show. I hate that. Straining to hear a song i NEEDED to hear again. Ah well,I'll dig it up here somewhere.
    Lou Reed - Transformer album.

-Storm.

The Thirteenth Floor Elevators

Is anyone besides me amazed to hear these guys--the first to bill themselves as "psychedelic"--as a soundtrack for a Dell commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    The Thirteenth Floor Elevators
    I always confuse them with "The Electric Prunes" ..

.listening right now ? Magical Mystery Tour - got some gems on there...

Whatever happened to Jim ? Has he stopped listening to music now that he finally got those beautiful Wilsons ? I enjoyed his daily posts in this thread. Where are you, JC ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

A friend got me on a Mile Davis kick .. he had recommended Mark Isham's "Mile Remembered: The Silent Way Project". Its a series of songs based on stuff Miles did at various time, but uses Mile's song as a startoff point to improvise from - some is mellow, some kick in your face fusion chops.
    That got me interested in finding Mile's "Complete In A Silent Way Sessions" very cool stuff - almost new agey in places, its the album just before the fusion of Bitches Brew.
    Oh - and I finally found a copy of Charley Parker with Strings ... this stuff all
    sounds so sweet on the L200-plus speakers downstairs ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hi Heather,

Mark Isham ,one of my favorites. "Film Music" an old favorite indeed. I came across the Miles homage while searching the net for Film Music . "lfe" last track is in my top drawer. If you come across anything else let me know.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Heather,

Mark Isham ,one of my favorites. "Film Music" an old favorite indeed. I came across the Miles homage while searching the net for Film Music . "lfe" last track is in my top drawer. If you come across anything else let me know.

Rich
    yeah - Isham hooked me when I heard his playing on the live versions of Orpheus from the David Sylvian concerts of the late 80s ...
    (kinda prefer the Nakano Sun Plaza show above the "In Praise of Shamans" show - but what do I know ...?)

Actually Heather,

I really respect and enjoy your eclectic taste in music. I often nip to itunes for a listen after reading your NP. The trouble is, Itunes US and Itunes UK have different catalouges.

Do you like Lyle Mays without Pat. ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Actually Heather,
    Do you like Lyle Mays without Pat. ?

Rich
    Thanks! So I guess this means I have to hunt down his solos stuff to have a listen. I liked Metheny with Gary Burton, and even some of his stuff when he branched off, (even the Joni Mitchell work with Jaco) but - there is just so much of Pat's later work ...

So now I'm loading two discs I just got from Amazon into iTunes -
    Les Paul: 90th Birthday Edition (a greatest hits collection), and Merle Haggard: 20 Greatest Hits.
    Les, of course, from the folks here who prompted me to watch a recent Public TV show about all his innovations, both musical and technical.

Merle is just curiosity. We recently watched an old concert of "The Highwaymen" in Scotland, we liked their sound and figured "Johnny (Cash) is gone and Waylon (Jennings) is gone and we don't care that much for Chris (Kristoferson) - hmm - better catch Willie (Nelson) while he's still around!" Anyway, we got tickets for Willie Nelson at a small local venue in early September and Merle is the "warm-up" act, so I figured I should check out more of his material at least ...

I mean, it can't be Eno and shoegazer stuff all the time, right?

Thread Information