Page 169 of 721 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269669 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf 7
    (1970, ABC Dunhill)

This is more of the Steppenwolf heavy sound with an 8 minute song "Ball Crusher" and one titled "Earschplittenloudenboomer". great stuff. includes a nice cover of Hoyt Axton's Snowblind Friend. They had covered "The Pusher", another of Axton's songs, on earlier album. cover information on the back cover: "sunset from Wyoming, mountains from Norway, brick road from Bulgaria". doing a face-off between a couple of copies.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Derek & The Dominos - In Concert
    (1973, RSO)

recorded October 1970 at the Fillmore East. Lots of cooking guitar from Clapton. I grabbed this one at HPB last week.

John Entwistle - Whistle Rymes
    (1972, Track)

w/ Peter Frampton on Lead Guitar - recently departed from Humble Pie, features some nice playing by Frampton and Entwistle, and some nice catchy rock tunes w/ interesting mature themed lyrics, all composed by Entwistle. Seems along the lines of his killer "My Wife" contribution on Who's Next. Great record. A 50 cent pickup at a Portland record show a couple of weeks ago.

Taj Mahal - self titled
    (1967, Columbia) Orange label 1971 pressing

w/ "Ryland P. Cooder"; "Jessie Edwin Davis". Taj is rockin' here, great stuff. Fun liner notes too:
    "We got a pretty tight band here, though - a son of Texas sharecropper, a Hungarian Jew, a wild eyed Irishman, and a crazy swamp spade. Blues-Rock-Gospel-Country-funk. Screamin' and Singin'"

Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck
    (1979, Columbia)

includes covers of two Dylan songs. a pretty nice pickup band w/ Mick Jagger - guitar, vocals; Keith Richards - guitar, vocals; Dave Mason - guitar; Mick Taylor - bass, guitar; Charlie Watts - drums; Jim Keltner - drums; Mick Fleetwood - drums. another 50 cent record show find.

Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams
    (1977, Elektra Asylum) TML-M in the deadwax; mastered by Doug Sax at the Mastering Lab LA

This is one of those wonderful sounding 70's Elektra Asylum records. She sold a lot of copies of this record, I see them everywhere, but there's a good reason for that unlike all the Mantovani and Streisand. w/ covers of Zevon, Orbison and the Stones.

ZZ Top - Fandango
    (1975, London) STERLING RL in the deadwax; mastered by Robert Ludwig

Their 4th record, following after Tres Hombres. Side 1 is a selection of Live tracks and side 2 is new studio cuts, which really cook.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness And Eternity, Mahavishnu Orchestra Live
    (1973, Columbia)

recorded August 1973. lights out except for the glow of the tubes and the sparks from John McLaughlin's guitar.

Smile What this Needs is More Jug

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
    (1967, International Artists) 1979 repressing with "Masterfonics" in the deadwax

Something's been missing from my life and I just realized it was Tommy Hall's electric jug playing.
    That's one of my all-time favorites. I'd like to get levitation. Every few months, I drag that thing out and listen over and over for a few days. Who knew a jug could be made to sound like that? Back when this record was new, the mystery to those of us in the east who'd never seen these guys was how they made that weird little bubbly sound. The influence of this band is incredible--on even the Rolling Stones-- and is apparent only after the fact--enormous, yet, in their own day, unacknowledged. Too bad about Rory Ericsson--there's a real tragedy. One windowpane too many, or something...

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    That's one of my all-time favorites. I'd like to get levitation. Every few months, I drag that thing out and listen over and over for a few days. Who knew a jug could be made to sound like that? Back when this record was new, the mystery to those of us in the east who'd never seen these guys was how they made that weird little bubbly sound. The influence of this band is incredible--on even the Rolling Stones-- and is apparent only after the fact--enormous, yet, in their own day, unacknowledged. Too bad about Rory Ericsson--there's a real tragedy. One windowpane too many, or something...
    There is a Roky Erickson movie out - We rented it from Netflix earlier this year
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0791268/

Much weirdness with his family and Mom and ... strangeness!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There is a Roky Erickson movie out - We rented it from Netflix earlier this year

me too

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post281040

checked out the CD of "Tattoo You" and dubbed to MiniDisc via TosLink and listened last night with the Senn 580's ..thats how you really get some great detail ....I'm thinking that TY is the "Last Great Rolling Stones album"

Just FFed thru "Bill Wymans Rhythm Kings" schmaltzy crap...gone already, BUT am enjoying Rancho Texicano
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

13th Floor Elevators

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Back when this record was new, the mystery to those of us in the east who'd never seen these guys was how they made that weird little bubbly sound.
    I'd still be in the dark about that bubbly sound without the internets. a lot of interesting reading to appreciate this deeply weird music that these university students from Texas put together. the jug really hits the mark on "You're Gonna Miss Me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh5oMDlWwQ < I think this is a lip synch tv clip, but gives an idea of what he was doing with that jug.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

oooh, will have to look for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

checked out the CD of "Tattoo You" and dubbed to MiniDisc via TosLink and listened last night with the Senn 580's ..thats how you really get some great detail ....I'm thinking that TY is the "Last Great Rolling Stones album"

Just FFed thru "Bill Wymans Rhythm Kings" schmaltzy crap...gone already, BUT am enjoying Rancho Texicano
    I have Tattoo You on the "to-play" stack, should be a fun spin. ....some of the ZZ studio work is nice stuff, I can do without their later MTV video-oriented stuff though.

Fanny - Fanny Hill
    (1971, Reprise) Mastered by Doug Sax, The Mastering Lab

California based all-female rock band. formed in 1970 as Wild Honey, the new name Fanny was suggested to producer Richard Perry by George Harrison. Recorded at Apple studios, London with the Beatles engineer, Geoff Emerick, working here, and with the Rolling Stones horn section Bobby Keys, Jim Price. Really nice stuff, from ballads to explosive rockers. Covers of Ain't That Peculiar - a Marvin Gaye hit and Lennon & McCartney's Hey Bulldog, as well as their own songs.

The Kinks - The Kinks' Greatest: Celluloid Heroes
    (1976, RCA Victor)

Compilation of the bands work with the RCA label which includes some hits, some live tracks, and a sampling from the concept albums.

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
    (1968, London)

Brian Jones last full record with the band. Dave Mason contributes on Mellotron. This copy credits Rev. Wilkins for "Prodigal Son".

Thread Information