Page 165 of 721 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265665 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Rolling Stones - Her Satanic Majesties Request
    (1967, London) NP-2 Mono pressing

I ran across a nice copy of original pressing Beggars Banquet in the thrift store bins today, which got me looking through the Stones on my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Oh yeah, on sale at Target for $9.99 and reviewed on Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/re...m/17385/191780
    that's a great price, thanks for the heads up. I've been reading threads about the new Brian Wilson title on the Steve Hoffman forum site for quite awhile.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Rolling Stones - Her Satanic Majesties Request
    (1967, London) NP-2 Mono pressing
    I ran across a nice copy of original pressing Beggars Banquet in the thrift store bins today, which got me looking through the Stones on my shelf.
    2 of my favs...

was out on the TREK yesterday and pickins' were slim ....I'm not a big C&W fan but do appreciate Hank and Patsy...HW's greatest hits - 2 LP's- in like unplayed condition for 50 cents is a no-brainer.

The other is kinda funny...I have no Pat Boone music , and dont plan on more ...this album seemed rare but also offended me a touch...the rear says" dedicated to American servicemen in Vietnam and their families" ...looks like it was recorded at an Armed Forces Radio & Television Services studio , ...but it shows a bumpkin in stateside uniform and boots sitting in a pond, oblivious to 3 bullets taking off his helmet as he is so busy writing a postcard home.....

Do not think the title "Wish you were Here, Buddy" was the inspiration for Pink Floyd, tho you never know...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Forget Elvis , Forget MJ

the real King of all musik is LVB

this is my 2nd copy , but it looks unplayed and includes the book ..7 Lp's -all 9 symphonies- for $1 love the 5th & 9th and need to get into the others more.

today was the opening of Salvation Army in Happy Valley (dont know why they call it that..its just s.e. 82nd in Portland) ..billed as the largest thrift store on the West Coast...looked like Meier & Frank (Maceys now) .they even have a cafe..the prices were terrible...$2.50 for standard LP's, saw a washer & dryer for $1,500...15 minutes and I was gone.....but next door is Deseret Thrift Store...more "down to earth" ...found LVB there.....Lp's are usually 50 cents and there is a fair selection.

Tonights Thoughts

RUSH-SNAKES & ARROWS-Workin' Them Angels
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Kensington Market - Avenue Road
    (1968, Warner Bros) Promo/NFS; US pressing

debut record, produced by Felix Pappalardi for this Toronto rock band named after a Toronto neighborhood. this is a 2nd listen and I really like a lot here - nice trippy textured guitar, piano, bass, and even sitar on some tracks, great recording. These guys were brought together by musical entrepreneur Bernie Finkelstein who later founded True North records.

Steve Kahn - The Blue Man
    (1978, Columbia) Mastered by Vladimir Meller, CBS

2nd in a trio of solo records from Kahn in the late 70s after recording records with Larry Coryell and with the Brecker Bros Band.
    w/ Randy Brecker, Michael Brecker, Steve Gadd, Don Grolnick, Ralph McDonald, Bob James, David Sanbourn, Mike Mainieri, Will Lee.

The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
    (1968, Columbia Special Products) 1973 reissue on the Columbia label

2nd album from The Nice. an "extension of the original Allegro from the Brandenburg Concerto No. 3".
    with some quirky lyrics and songs .. like Daddy Where Did I Come From, and Happy Freuds. Keith Emerson's distinctive keyboards throughout.

Emitt Rhodes - self titled
    (1970, RCA Victor) Canadian pressing

I ran across this one last weekend, and snapped it up after enjoying Rhodes 1971 release "Mirror". American singer/songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and recording engineer -- plays all of the instruments and sang all of the vocals while recording himself in his home recording studio. According to wikipedia, he used a four-track recorder for the instruments this title and transferred those to an eight-track recorder to add the vocals.

Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning...A Journey From Eden
    (1972, Capitol)

7th record from the Steve Miller Band. some nice blues rock. w/ Ben Sidran, Jim Keltner, Jessie Ed Davis.

Buddy Holly - Peggie Sue Got Married
    (1962, Coral) EC 81191

extended play 45 with three additional songs. an estate sale grab this morning, along with 10 other Buddy Holly 45s and Ritchie Valens La Bamba. I usually don't bother looking at 45s but when the estate sale guy mentioned these, I was glad I looked not only because they are Buddy Holly records but because they are in pristine condition, rare IME for 45s. because they were singles, they went for half the dollar price for the LPs.
    The previous owner was a member of the Buddy Holly fan club w/ B&W pictures, no Buddy LPs though, just usual easy listening schmaltz

Chris Hillman - Clear Sailin'
    (1977, Elektra/Asylum) Mastered by Bernie Grundman at A&M Studios

2nd solo LP from original member of The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Manassas, and others. A nice cover of the Danny O' Keefe song, Quits. Lots of pedal steel, violin, viola and interesting percussion with that nice mid 70s Elektra/Asylum recording quality.

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
    (1967, International Artists) 1979 repressing with "Masterfonics" in the deadwax

Something's been missing from my life and I just realized it was Tommy Hall's electric jug playing.

Big record show in Portland today...90 tables

this was the first record show that I've been to , and it wont be the last...ran into new and old friends including SLF Dave, Dan , Al, Aaron ...stayed and browsed (and BS'ed) almost 4 hours.. another show coming Oct 23

Picked up only 27 LP's...some were great deals ....the Layla double for $1 , WAR Platinum Jazz double for $1 , Winwood double for $1 ...Koyaanisqatsi ..have never seen on LP...lots of Fleetwooc Mac, a UK Beach Boys,Traffic, Santana , Mayall , Ray Charles too. The pick of it all for me was the Quad copy of "A Space in Time" ...just played it and noticed lots of details that I've never heard in the 2 channel copies and believe me ...have heard those many times. Its a 180g and I've read that good quads were more exacting to produce so always were made on virgin vinyl.Some of the lyrics that I've had trouble with are now clear.

(little later) Just listened to side 2 of ASiT ...this is like the MFSL version that was never made ...VERY dynamic , long sustains , I havn't cleaned it yet and the sound is FAB
    its kinda like the 2009 Beatles..you can just hear small details that have always eluded the listener..WOW...one of my DIDs ...now cant wait to run the Philip Glass Ksctsy.

(and NO..my avatar isnt George Burns....have just finished S3 of M.I. ...thats Jim Phelps)

Ok..have gone thru 4 of the new albums.....the Traffic (Winwood, Capaldi ,etc) was OK, pretty much standard jams ....TYA ASiT was so good that I'm going to clean and rip to digi files and clean them too.

Another real standout was Koyaanisqatsi ... I had checked it out on CD, but that was a pale imitation of the LP...geeze , the AR90's have secondary vibrations going all over the room , objects that I thot were tied down pretty well ,,,, aren't. This is really a system demo disk ...WOW

Layla was a disappointment , rather muffled , prolly wont play again.
    Looking forward to Santana 1 & 3 and Caravanserai.

The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
    (1966, Columbia)

the title song got a lot of hit radio airplay in the summer of '66 and hit #2, I remember hearing it a lot, I think I bought the 45 that year. ...credited to Paul Simon, who offered it to the Cyrkle when they opened for Simon & Garfunkel. Another Simon song here is Cloudy. Turn Down Day is a nice hit on side 2.

The Cyrkle were discovered and managed by Brian Epstein, John Lennon came up with the unique spelling of their name, and they opened for the Beatles on the 1966 US tour. Yes they were nearly 1 hit wonders, disbanding in 1967 but everything here is a nice listen and well recorded.

Picked this one out of a dollar box at the Portland record show yesterday - had a great time grabbing records, and chatting/comparing notes with Seawolf who was also making the rounds at the show. Good meeting you, and talking records/gear yesterday.

Thread Information