Page 128 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti
    (1979, Zappa) MASTERDISK in the deadwax

2 LPs with sides A/D & B/C, Great playing and production, dumb lyrics even for Zappa.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Jeff Beck - Truth
    (1968, Epic) 1968 pressing w/ yellow label

Jeff Beck's blistering guitar playing is the star here, but there is also some thunderous great bass from Ron Wood, and I can even overlook Rod Stewart's vocals. Blues and hard rock, earliest heavy metal.

Be-Bop Deluxe - Live! In The Air Age
    (1977, Harvest) MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the deadwax

double LP/EP; listening to side 1. wow, this is a great sounding live recording. I picked this up along with several other B-BD LPs in a thrift a couple of years ago - someone dumped a collection. Love the Fritz Lang Metropolis inspired artwork

Frank Zappa - Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
    (1982, CBS/Barking Pumpkin) Dutch pressing; "Dinkum" in the deadwax both sides on US and Dutch pressing

Comparing a Made in Holland pressing with a US pressing; in the liner notes:
    This album has been engineered to sound correct on JBL 4311 speakers or an equivalent. Best results will be achieved if you set your pre-amp tone controls to the flat position with the loudness control in the off position. Before adding any treble or bass to the sound of the album, it would be advisable to check it out this way first. F.Z.
    Sounds pretty nice on the JBL 4425s!

art ensemble of chicago, FULL FORCE
    impressive, play loud!

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Jimi Hendrix - Midnight Lightning
    (1975, Reprise)

This is another mis-mash of Hendrix playing with posthumous sessions overdubbed on parts of songs, like the Crash Landing title which I purchased new. All the work is from '69 '70 and post-Jimi Hendrix Experience with some great blues playing instrumentals.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    art ensemble of chicago, FULL FORCE
    impressive, play loud!

Nice, I've heard of these guys and would like to track down their stuff.

Nektar - Remember The Future
    (1973, Passport) STERLING in the deadwax; mastering by Robert Ludwig

I'm really enjoying progressive rock in the late evenings lately, mostly Yes releases. This 4th album from Nektar holds it's own with the Yes. Great tasty guitar playing, jazz-quality drumming, spacy lyrics and vocals. "Remember The Future" is in two parts, each consisting of the entire side of the LP, at 17 and 19 minutes respectively. Cool artwork in a gatefold cover; Bob Ludwig mastering.

Got out on the Fuji Saturday for the trip up to MHCC..got about 100 feet out the driveway and stopped. The headwinds were so strong that it was whistling in my ears. Nearly turned around, but remembered my own advise to my son "If you have to wait for a perfect day - you'll never get out"

Part of the route to Gresham is a long hill (202 & Stark up to 240&Stark) that is a real test under the best of conditions...today was a 15-20mph+ headwind. Resigned myself to the fact that walking the bike up wouldn't be shameful under these conditions..headed up , frequently downshifting until I ran out of gears, went to the next sprocket and down a couple more....but I stayed upright and moving..climbing at abt 1 MPG...made it to the intersection at the top and continued climbing another 1/4 mile b4 stopping....very happy performance for a nearly 61 Y.O.
    Pulled into the thrift - NOTHING in buyable condition. Sunday another 8 Fuji miles -no joy-. Monday another 8 on flatter ground ....did p/u this Jackie DeShannon ..the tracks looked good.

Have been having so much fun with TYA - Cricklewood Green that I'd been looking for a better copy...Actually broke down and bought a remastered/extended CD from the Bay...my first new CD in years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Tom, by the way, which one's Pink?
    both/neither
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition
    (1971, Cotillion)

On the lookout for a UK copy on the Island label. The unmistakeable keyboards and muscular bass are solid evidence here, and this just really gets rolling. Sounds great for a live recording.

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Gorilla
    (1967, Imperial/Liberty) w/o booklet

and now for something completely different; includes "Death Cab For Cutie" on side 1 which they also performed on the Magical Mystery Tour film at Paul McCartney's request, according to Wikipedia; crazy, interesting and it's growing on me with each listen; I recently picked up the early 70's Greatest Hits release.

Pat Williams - Shades Of Today
    (1968, Verve)

Easy swingin' jazz/pop/big band, nice production sounds like a Bacharach record (and "The Look Of Love" is here), cool valley of the dolls cover. Some nice covers including a couple of McCartneys - Eleanor Rigby and World Without Love.

The Chico Hamilton Quintet - The Chico Hamilton Special
    (1961, Columbia)

Doesn't get much better than this, except for when Gabor Szabo was at the guitar (Harry Pope plays wonderfully on this session), Charles Lloyd on Alto, flute. A great mono Columbia six-eyes.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    (1970, Apple)

Happy Birthday, George Harrison. I haven't listened to ATMP in awhile, was reminded as soon as side one started spinning that this is a classic, great record.

Traffic - Self Titled
    (1968, United Artists) Bell Sound in the deadwax

There are some strong Dave Mason songs starting with Track 1, and the Winwood/Capaldi songs are great too. Great guitar from Mason and keyboards from Winwood, and this sounds really nice in the high and mid frequencies - I'm not surprised that this is a Bell Sound Studios pressing.

Thread Information