Page 9 of 721 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

bigredplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Up for anything, as long as the recording quality doesn't kill it, CD's are more than ok when done right/
    You need to got you a Sony SCD777ES and it will show you how much better SACD is over a redbook CD I don't care with you hook it up to

Ahhh... the 777
    Always fun learning more.......

gullahisland
    Robert Cray - Shoulda' Been Home

On my "new" 4301BEs. Nice!

I've been trying to broaden my horizons since I found and old Sony FM tuner at a thrift store. I didn't think FM could be so good. Most of the time I am home, I have KCSN playing in the background. They play a wide variety of music except 6-6 M-F when they play classical. Earlier today, I listened to 4 hours of bluegrass. Now, they are playing 4 hours of the Beetles. KCSN is at Cal State Northridge.

http://kcsn.org/programs/

A pretty good station is here in Denver and on the web.

www.kuvo.org
    Always fun learning more.......

"White Label" copy of Workingman's Dead (mostly acoustic set). Brilliant. Terrific soundstage.

David

Shure V15VxMR, Thorens TD125, Conrad-Johnson PV9, Audio Research VT60, JBL 4333A's.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    "White Label" copy of Workingman's Dead (mostly acoustic set). Brilliant. Terrific soundstage.

David

Shure V15VxMR, Thorens TD125, Conrad-Johnson PV9, Audio Research VT60, JBL 4333A's.
    Very nice!

J.S. Bach. Cantata 14, "If God were not with us at this time"

Somewhere a long time ago I ran across four boxes of the Telefunken Das Alte Werk series of complete cantatas. This is the first time I've ever worked my way through them systematically. These are very fine recordings, made with period instruments played for musical accuracy rather than historical, but the most amazing part is that the choirs are very clean. So often choir music is spoiled by the presence of one voice which is technically very good but is very grating in tonal quality, usually because the person is less focused on singing with the others than on making his or her own presence more prominent. Often a soprano, sometimes an alto or tenor, it can spoil the whole thing. The choirs on these records have none of that.

Anyway, I was struck by the title of this one, which is also quite beautiful music.

David

i thought for a while that this thread had run course.its alive and helping me add to my wish list exponentially.oh well listening ones way into the poorhouse probably isnt the worst way to get there.tonite Johnny Cash in san quentin is on the box so i guess ill listen to that.merle haggard and waylon jennings @ austin city limits are out on dvd.has anyone else checked out any of these?

AM Talk Radio

I'm listening to AM Talk Radio (in Stereo of all things) right now.
    Paying debt to Karma...

paragon

Simply Red

Jericho, at this moment.

one of my personal faves...

Today= Charlie Hunter Quartet- Natty Dread

This is an all out, in-your-face jazz cover version of Bob Marley's Natty Dread album.
    It craps all over the original, and takes on a whole new persona. It pissed off the reggae critics when released (97).
    It's almost comical to hear these old tunes done like this! Think- elevator music for the body piercing crowd.

If you like your sax solos to sound like dying waterfowl, your percussion solos
    to start with rim shots and end in splinters, plus a healthy helping of leslie+archtop+tremoverb put into strange distorted shapes and tones-
    this is your album. Refreshingly well recorded and mixed- This thing has fantastic musicianship throughout. It always yields something new with each listen. Lively, engaging and perfectly syncopated. If you are a Marley fan with no sense of humor or a weak stomach- stay clear! If you are looking to get into jazz, but don't like the sounds of the laidback, drip style jazz- Try this one on. One of my all time favorites- it puts me in a good mood every time.

Today...

Left Banke ~ Both 1st and 2nd LPs
    Pretty Things ~ Circus Mind
    Son House ~ John The Revelator

Then its off to the Vodka store

NRT: What are YOU listening to today (aside from the tea kettle)?? Miles?

How 'bout you Mr Widget? I bet you have some goodies in your collection!

but which incarnation of miles?

Thread Information