Page 75 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175575 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    blood sweat & tears
    BST were inspired by THE BUCKINGHAMS' . Their succession of hits led them to being named "The Most Listened to Band in America" in 1967.

(cant find sales link now...)

NEW QUESTION:

WHAT BANd SOLD more albums than the Beatles in 1969 ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    BST were inspired by THE BUCKINGHAMS' . Their succession of hits led them to being named "The Most Listened to Band in America" in 1967.
    By "their" is meant BST? or by "their" is meant The Buckinghams?
    Alright, as for 1969, is it CCR this time?

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    By "their" is meant BST? or by "their" is meant The Buckinghams?
    Alright, as for 1969, is it CCR this time?
    Their is the Buckinghams (and the horn influence)....they were huge until 68 when the wheels fell off..

69 ? CCR ...yes.

And for some stereo effects check out :
    Roger Waters,Amused to death (CK64426,columbia) gold CD recorded in Q sound with super bit mapping

Another good choice is Madonna's Music (Yeah i know) but the recording is really great with lots of fancy stuff.

And last Kelis,Kaleidoscope,you will need some good amps to handle your woofers

Finally got the 4412As off the floor

What's left of the family went into town for a couple of hours. So, Michael Hedges' Breakfast in the Field is playing at half pre-amp volume level with the Crown PS-400 wide open. Sound pressure a bit beyond a live performance from the front row. No muddiness from the 128H-1's once I got the monitors about two-feet off the floor and oriented horizontally as designed. Still not ear-level (unless I sit on the floor) but this is a major triumph considering I've owned the 4412As for eighteen months and they've been vertical on the floor the whole time. A brief respite now that two are in college allowed me to reclaim some room for the fourth system. A little bit more working room and then the L150As get re-surrounded. The L112s are next. I want to have something to compare the L5s to when they show up. The no-maintenance 030s are still plugging along just as they have for the past 50 years. Hedges' Torched is going in next. It's been fun listening to the L20Ts but, well, you know . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Finally got the 4412As off the floor. . .
    never found the room to play them horizontal and were best for me at 14-18 of stand when verticle..after I got the L166s , Fangio asked me to compare them to the 4412s.

my answer was something like "If you ask me 100 times which is better, I'd reply 51 times that its the L166 , 48 times that 4412 is better and 1 time - I dunno.

but whatever you prefer ,, the bookshelves are almost always better "off the floor"

my answer was something like "If you ask me 100 times which is better, I'd reply 51 times that its the L166 , 48 times that 4412 is better and 1 time - I dunno.

but whatever you prefer ,, the bookshelves are almost always better "off the floor"
    Of course, but when you have so much stuff (as you know) and not enough room (plenty of room when we moved in 23 years ago, before three kids!!), it just takes a long time to get to even semi-optimum placement (had to move a couch and a harp out of the room to get to this point, another room has two pianos and a cello in it. I can barely get to my Les Paul! ).

But of course, these are 4412A's, so they'd probably win at least 51 to 48! Let's see what happens when the 4412A, L112, and L150A's are all in the same room for comparison.

Child is Father to the Man - BST

"Somethin' Goin' On" (Kooper) – 8:00

on vinyl - WOW !!

In 2003, the album was ranked number 264 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh NO !!!!

so I'm at GW yesterday and pick up 2 vinyl albums. "Cool Water" by SONS OF THE PIONEERS and "Victory at Sea" - Richard Rogers.

start playing them today and find myself knowing the words and melodies. A really funny sense of deja vu.

I start thinking back and Oh Oh. These are 2 of the albums that my father had in the early 60's and really the ones that I played over and over at 12 years old on his stereo as I didn't own any.

Am I following my father subconsciously or just a fantastic coincidence ??

or just a fantastic coincidence ??
    It is more than a coincidence as you have some reminiscence of it perhaps some feelings too.
    Recently I borrowed a LP "Dance to the Big Bands", all well known titles (!954-1968). They reminded me of my father who liked to listen to the radio at sunday morning.

Steely Dan's 4-Grammy-winning Two Against Nature, espec. "What a Shame About Me"

Doing more A-B listening, just to torture myself. How the hell do you all who own those big-as-a-house monitors with at least one 15" ever play some of this stuff at high volume? My wife took our remaining daughter into town, I opted out, already having driven 400 miles today, and I put on some of Liz Wright's Salt, specifically "Blue Rose". I just can't believe that voice was only 22-years-old or so at the time of the recording. Lot's of pausing and swapping Pomona plugs from the L5s to the 4412As. (Still haven't broken up the L20T system I set up for my middle daughter, during her brief at-home convalescence, to have a PS-400 to run each speaker pair.) I could listen to Liz all day, especially at home after hearing her in my in-car CD for part of the ride home. I highly recommend her if you're into female contemporary Jazz vocals.

Then I popped in Steely Dan's 4-Grammy-winning Two Against Nature, specifically "What a Shame About Me". Walter Becker's bass lines literally shook the house on the baby L5s. I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper! Truly hard to believe and this was with the PS-400 and the DX4100 at about one-o'clock, so we're talking LOUD! I almost hesitated to share my thoughts because I'm going to buy all of the L5s I can find and really don't need competition . I still need to re-surround the L150As and put them up against the Baby-Ls, but for simple listening pleasure, I'm just amazed at the L5s.

So, what on earth does "What a Shame About Me" sound like on an L300? Or on Heather's hopped-up L200 boxes? Or spwal's 4341s? Somebody must have this fine example of a near-perfectly-recorded CD to play on those iconic (no pun) JBLs. Fess up; how do you stay in the same room without making your stomach do flips? And do you live alone? I work with pro-sound for live reinforcement occasionally so I do know what you get out of an 18" sub, but these L5s are only EIGHT-INCH!!

Disclosure: I'm never selling these L5s so I'm not just trying to manufacture LH quotes for an Ebay auction. I also know some of you wouldn't listen to Steely Dan on a bet, or even consider it music. But that's your loss!

I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper!
    . the 4412 reminded me of an updated L100 . The bass was not well controlled ( I was asked the comparison of the 4412 to the L-166 by Fangio and answered that I liked the L-166 slightly better.
    Glad you found nirvana with the L-5's ...I did a demo of the L-7's when new and was impressed, but just cudnt get past their looks.

Funny, I am a long time Steely Dan fan and thot I liked everything they've ever done, until I got "two against nature"...its the only Dan album that I dont listen to...

Well, at some point you'll just have to come on up and hear at least 2 of the speakers you mentioned. The L200-plus (quasi-4333) on the yamaha, then haul the disc downstairs for the biamped 4341s ...
    I actually do own that CD - tho yesterday we were pounding the rafters comparing Daft Punk's Discovery album on the two different systems ...

Then I popped in Steely Dan's 4-Grammy-winning Two Against Nature, specifically "What a Shame About Me". Walter Becker's bass lines literally shook the house on the baby L5s. I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper! Truly hard to believe and this was with the PS-400 and the DX4100 at about one-o'clock, so we're talking LOUD! I almost hesitated to share my thoughts because I'm going to buy all of the L5s I can find and really don't need competition . I still need to re-surround the L150As and put them up against the Baby-Ls, but for simple listening pleasure, I'm just amazed at the L5s.

So, what on earth does "What a Shame About Me" sound like on an L300? Or on Heather's hopped-up L200 boxes? Or spwal's 4341s? Somebody must have this fine example of a near-perfectly-recorded CD to play on those iconic (no pun) JBLs. Fess up; how do you stay in the same room without making your stomach do flips? And do you live alone? I work with pro-sound for live reinforcement occasionally so I do know what you get out of an 18" sub, but these L5s are only EIGHT-INCH!!

Disclosure: I'm never selling these L5s so I'm not just trying to manufacture LH quotes for an Ebay auction. I also know some of you wouldn't listen to Steely Dan on a bet, or even consider it music. But that's your loss!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Speaking of things....what are some of your guys' favorite movie soundtracks?

My top two are - Jurassic Park and Aladdin, closely followed by Mr. Hollands Opus.
    Last edited by lovethatsound; 03-09-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling errors (go figure!)

Funny, I am a long time Steely Dan fan and thot I liked everything they've ever done, until I got "two against nature"...its the only Dan album that I dont listen to...
    I felt the same way for some time. Then I ran across the CD in a car I don't drive very often. I think I'm warming up to it now. I even like "Cousin Dupree". The L5s may not be Nirvana, but they'll do for a while. I grew up on D130s and still want some more modern big 15's some day.

Heather: You know I will take you up on that offer some day. I was kind of looking forward to A-B-ing with the 240ti, too, but looks like that deal isn't happening. After decades of looking down on the LE14A, I would love to own something with an LE14H. Big monitors will have to wait a while. Maybe if I collect enough good small stuff, I can parlay it into some big stuff some day.

Thread Information