Page 702 of 721 FirstFirst ... 202602652692700701702703704712 ... LastLast
Results 10,516 to 10,530 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Sam Cooke, Live At Harlem Square Club 1963, 1985, RCA Germany, PL85181

Live at Harlem Square Club, Jan 12, 1963 plus King Curtis Band plus The Checkers. Vocal prototype for Rod the Mod. As shown in advertisement: Teenage matinee, admission 1.50 Dollars, well chaperoned. Everybody welcome...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Mandrill, Mandrill Is, 1972, Polydor USA, PD 5025

Reissue. Funk-Rock-Soul-Latin-Jazz. Listen to the fantastic "Lord of the golden baboon" B2. One of the best funk sounds ever. Forgotten gem?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Siegel-Schwall Band, Sleepy Hollow, 1972, Line Germany, 6.24216, Reissue 1980

Listen to "His good time band" B1, a tribute to an exemplary musician who just didn't care to compete commercially, but was content enough to play his music solely for the love of it, surely spoke for Siegel-Schwall... (Wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Just wondering if you guys will post some great recordings youve heard here. Try " Lilly Was Here " by David Stewart. Movie sountrack. Its all here highs, lows, front to back, side to side And out to the street deep. Jazzy
    Thank you for suggestion! Loved "Lilly Was Here", added to my playlist even on youtube. Meanwhile was checking these flats for sale in phuket Thailand and now when I have routing work to do I will play this song.

Barry Goldberg, And Friends, 1969, Record Man USA, CR 5105

Harvey Mandel guitar, Mike Bloomfield guitar and vocals plus Eddie Hoh, drums. Best company on the way into the New Year by these wonderful performances. Happy New Year to everybody in this forum. Best wishes for good health to you from Switzerland!

David Kubinec, Some Things Never Change, 1978, AM Holland, AMLH 6850

Totally weird one. Some kind of Alice Cooper crazyness. Produced by John Cale. Guitars by Chris Spedding and Ollie Halsall

Red Norvo Trio, The Savoy Sessions, 1985, Savoy Germany, WL70540(2), 2LP

Zing! Went the strings of my heart: found last week in the "Brockenhaus" for SFr. 4.90.
    Tal Farlow, guitars. Charles Mingus, bass. Recorded 1950/51 in Los Angeles and Chicago. The fascination of Jazz music lies (among others) in the various combinations of musicians.

I just put up iTunes and let it run on shuffle ... it came up with

Lightnin' Hopkins ‎– The Complete Prestige / Bluesville Recordings

did not realize that I even had this ... but it sure is fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Pres.../dp/B000000ZC4
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Mentioned in a previous post I might post these LP's from the sixties.

Certainly not "what's playing now", nor tomorrow, but I've had these records for a long time, from my father, kept them for no particular reason. Once in a while use as test record.

Ballroom type music, not my style, they seem to be part of a series.

They're in good shape and very well made: thick vinyl, very low noise.

Don't know much about them, the writing is in German which I can't read. However, on the last pic just above the musicians' photo its indicated Manufactured by Deutsche Grammophon, Hamburg, whose reputation I know from having some classical music from that label.

Maybe German members or others here know more about these. Regards,

Richard

Name:  IMG_0971.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_0972.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  74.6 KBName:  IMG_0973.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  80.3 KBName:  IMG_0975.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  92.1 KB

Yes, Hans aka James Last (1929 - 2015) released tons of quite boring dance, party and elevator music throughout the Sixties to Eighties. Definitely not my style, too. His labels Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise) here in Germany. Deutsche Grammophon released and still releases superb sounding classical music.

OTOH, Last was producer of the following, quite remarkable psychedelic thang from 1968:

Note Les Humphries on organ, yet to become another successful (but boring and annoying) musician in Germany.

Best regards!

Hi Kay,

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Yes "quite boring dance, party and elevator music", lol

RE "Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise)"

That sure appears to be exact. Though that music isn't my cup of tea, I'm amazed at the quality pressings and sound of these from the 60's! I have many popular and rock albums from the 70's (US, Canada, British groups) and they sure don't match that low noise and German quality from a decade earlier! I guess the Germans had it while others didn't...

So, Hans had a great label for his not so great music... Best Regards,

Richard

I'm not sure whether Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon or vice versa . At least they shared common pressing plants.

Best regards!

James Last, Well Kept Secret, 1975, Polydor USA, PD 6040

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Yes, Hans aka James Last (1929 - 2015) released tons of quite boring dance, party and elevator music throughout the Sixties to Eighties. Definitely not my style, too. His labels Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise) here in Germany. Deutsche Grammophon released and still releases superb sounding classical music.

OTOH, Last was producer of the following, quite remarkable psychedelic thang from 1968:

Note Les Humphries on organ, yet to become another successful (but boring and annoying) musician in Germany.

Best regards!
    Agreed, an absolute lowlight of German culture. But also nearly every average Swiss family bought those dumb James Last albums in the 70ies! Also the Lps of The Les Humphries Singers. But there was and still is much lightweight music in Germany, especially many productions of "Schlager" music. In Switzerland's second hand shops there are thousands of these dumb records: non-sellers, but (as you noticed) mostly in mint quality! Sheer waste of vinyl.
    This one is a well kept secret: the only album of James Last you might accept, because of these famous musicians: Larry Carlton, Dean Parks, Jim Gordon. Recorded at Record Plant Los Angeles.

Polydor/Deutsche Grammophon

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    I'm not sure whether Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon or vice versa . At least they shared common pressing plants.

Best regards!
    Look here, because it is very interesting: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydor
    Schönen Abend noch!

Ok, thank you, Fritz! I was right in my first assumption. Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon, and their comon record plant was in Berlin-Tempelhof, see here.

Best regards!

Thread Information