Page 87 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187587 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Chucho - Woof!

Just got this the other day, looking forward to hearing it more but so far I really like it. Very well recorded as well, which seems to be the case with most of the Village Vanguard performances.

Just Play Music.

My pick for the first Bill Evans exposure

I firmly believe the last ten years' work of Bill Evans to be his best. One CD (and LP) which is available and not at all hard to appreciate is Quintessence from 1976.

The other musicians - Harold Land on tenor, Kenny Burrell on archtop guitar, Ray Brown playing the stand up bass and Philly Joe Jones pounding the skins - are all ensconced in the gallery of the greats and did their very best. Hearing the result, you can imagine these august artists gasping to themselves, "Crap! It's Bill Evans! I have to step it up." Especially when they heard how he was playing by that time. They had the same reaction I had when hearing this session. We thought we knew Bill Evans and we were wrong.

Each of my best friends who love Jazz had the same thing happen to them. I played them this album and now Bill is one of their favorite musicians, period. And this is one of their favorite albums. (They bought it on vinyl.)

Down the road, if you grow to appreciate Bill as we do, eventually you will have to rob a bank or whatever it takes to acquire the Consecration and The Last Waltz sessions. Get them on Japanese CD's with Obi if you can.

For a more classical take on Bill, see this: http://www.jazz.com/dozens/the-dozens-essential-bill-evans

I don't have it, but You Must Believe In Spring must be a keeper! Crosscurrents from 1977 I can also vouch for.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    One CD (and LP) which is available and not at all hard to appreciate is Quintessence from 1976.
    Just ordered it brand-new off Half.com for about $10, shipped. I'll try for the others at my local record store before I go the Amazon route (You Must Believe in Spring for $11). Thanks. The sample tracks were great!

did the 12 mile bike loop today ..(weather is STILL holding up) ...found these 8. going to need some cleanuo, but couldnt beat the price ....Wow, that Beatles WHITE ALBUM really is white !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I firmly believe the last ten years' work of Bill Evans to be his best. One CD (and LP) which is available and not at all hard to appreciate is Quintessence from 1976.
    Just received it today and going through it for the second time now. My only complaint is: It's too short! Even with the "bonus" track.

Love listening to Ray Brown's acoustic bass. Nice remastering job, too. Beautiful sounding recording. The L7s love it. I'll be looking for more at the local record shop soon. Thanks for the tip!

(Do you detect a little break-up in the sax in the right channel at around 6:28 on track 2? Artifact of the original recording?)

paragon

Netradio

"Arrow Classic Rock", a dutch one. 70 `s and 80 `s Rock. Great !!

Quintessence

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Just received it today and going through it for the second time now. My only complaint is: It's too short! Even with the "bonus" track.

Love listening to Ray Brown's acoustic bass. Nice remastering job, too. Beautiful sounding recording. The L7s love it. I'll be looking for more at the local record shop soon. Thanks for the tip!

(Do you detect a little break-up in the sax in the right channel at around 6:28 on track 2? Artifact of the original recording?)
    Really glad you like it. I can't help you right now with the glitch, my copy is an old vinyl disc. I'll get out a stopwatch.

Sad but true, many of the Jazz albums from the classic period are not very long. A typical Blue Note session from the sixties would be about 35 minutes of vinyl. Perhaps the intensity of the playing on those great dates limited the production; perhaps it was a money move. I don't know.

I'm just grateful for the 35 minutes! But I wish there was a lot more too... If they were 70 minutes they would still seem too short.

I can't remember, did you check out Jackie McLean's Jacknife? One of my favorite sessions. Pretty short, to.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Last two CD's I listened to

They were 'Back To Earth' from Eat Static and 'The Last Days Of Gravity' from Younger Brother and they sounded GREAT from both musical and HiFi perspective

Did the 9 mile loop yesterday (that first mile after a 3 week layoff is a b1tch), no joy... Cant believe bike riding weather still OK..did the 10 mile loop today and walked into the store as the new inventory was coming out ...picked up abt 30, but eliminated poor condition ones down to 11 keepers...

I dont really care abt FOGHAT or MARSHAL TUCKER , but they look like had never been played ...If you like/need them..PM me.

Is that Sydney on the 10cc cover ?

Sunset and the Mockingbird: The Birthday Concert [LIVE]

"March 16.1997,Tommy Flanagan came to Village Vanguard to celebrate his 67th birthday.The result is this splendid record.This is Flanagan at his very best,beautifully recorded and in outstanding form.Peter Washington plays bass,and Lewis Nash,a great young musician,is the drummer.Tommy Flanagan pays tributes to the great Thad Jones,member of the Jones family with his brothers Elvin and Hank,in two tunes ("birdsong" and "let's"),to Dizzy Gillespie ("tin tin deo" and "I waited for you"),Tom McIntosh ("with malice toward none" and a masterpiece,a medley "the balanced scales/the cupbearers") and of course Duke Ellington,playing one of Duke's rarest tunes,the very emotional "Sunset and the mockingbird",the first movement of Duke's "Queen's suite".What more is there to say?"

Just Play Music.

lots of cheap vinyl out there when you start looking... and its getting me to listen to genre's that I've ignored (plus I must have the strongest legs of any 59 y.o on this forum ...will miss biking during winter )...really enjoyed the "Grand Canyon Suite" at dinner..and that Eagles album was full of favs and others that I'd never heard....
    Vinyl LIVES !!!!!
    (at least in PDX)

I remember the first time I heard Pure Prairie League. It was on my friend's system of L100s and SA660 back in 1971 when he returned from his first year away at college. (I stayed home to go to a local U.) I thought it sounded fantastic! Then I bought the album and played it on my own 030 and Crown D150 system. Yeah, that was better! Later that Summer we got "Fallin' in and out of Love," and "Amie". Good times; playing Pure Prairie League and Little Feat.

. Good times; playing Pure Prairie League and Little Feat.
    I won 2 tickets to see "Little Feat" abt 2 years ago,,about halfway thru the show I said "enough of this crap" and walked out....I know some of you like the old group, but IMHO , the new one sux.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I won 2 tickets to see "Little Feat" abt 2 years ago,,about halfway thru the show I said "enough of this crap" and walked out....I know some of you like the old group, but IMHO , the new one sux.
    Little Feat without Lowell George is worse than The Dead without Jerry. They might as well call it the "Paul Barrere Band with special guest Bill Payne". If you didn't ever see them, you can't imagine.

"Waiting for Columbus" only hints at their energy and talent but, like much of The Dead toward the end, it took a lot of studio enhancements to make the legendary tightness come through on a live recording when the leader was wasted. Give it a try, though, if you're so inclined.

Little Feat without Lowell George is worse than The Dead without Jerry. .
    OR ..the Doors without Jim, OR The Holding Company without Janis OR Queen without Freddy OR The Experience without Jimi ?? I think the picture is coming....

toward the end, it took a lot of studio enhancements to make the legendary tightness come through on a live recording when the leader was wasted.
    Right on there ....I saw the Doors live with a wasted Morrison ...The opening band "The Chambers Bros" ran circles around a wasted Jim.

Thread Information