Page 36 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136536 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

where did you find that.ive wanted to dig up all that early animals stuff and a lot of it seems to have been passed over on cd.i do have love is and every one of us,and even though stuff like winds of change is a little on the hippy dippy side i want it anyhow.

p2p.

got mucho old Animals , some really wonderfull. one of their albums (everyone of us) opens with a long instrumental that you wud never ID as them.
    Got on MS's download site (www.URGE.com) on a free trial and picked up everything EB ever did.
    They code to a timed out proprietary format. not too hard to deal with that.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Just ordered these

Item #Item TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal170079541817Ultimate Demonstration Disc- Audio Chesky Jazz (CD) NEW1$12.49 USD$12.49 USD170079541931SuperHarps - James Cotton (CD 1999) NEW1$11.49 USD$11.49 USD17007954207735th Anniversary Jam - James Cotton (CD 2002) NEW1$10.29 USD$10.29 USD170079546993World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings - SACD NEW1$9.99 USD$9.99 USD

Has anyone heard them?

Ken

Ken, I am only familiar with the "Isn't She Lovely" Livingston Taylor track on the SACD and it is terrific. I got to hear him perform it live not long ago. The Chesky recordings feature great sonics (that really being the whole point) but the performances often adhere to Holt's Law IMO.

What is Holt's Law, you ask? J. Gordon Holt, founder of Stereophile, once asserted something to the effect that "The better the performance the worse the recording, and vise versa."

on right now:

Art Pepper: Unreleased Art, Vol. 1
    The Complete Abashiri Concert - November 22, 1981
    Widow's Taste 2CD

Recently released by Art's widow Laurie. Music is sublime - sonics acceptable. Recorded live to cassette by the sound guy, whose name they have forgotten in the intervening decades. They just credit him as "The Kid"! There's flaws that can be picked apart, but the music supercedes all that in this case.

You can get this on CDBaby for $20 and it is a must for anyone into Art even slightly.

Rhythm Devils - Apocalypse Now Sessions

dark , jungle musik
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    What is Holt's Law, you ask? J. Gordon Holt, founder of Stereophile, once asserted something to the effect that "The better the performance the worse the recording, and vise versa."
    I was afraid of that....we shall see.

Thanks bud..

So you and the Domester had a visit? He has interesting tastes in music..

Ken

"Over Night Sensation". My daily dose of Zappa. Then maybe a little Sonny Rollins..............not sure yet.

Ken, TD and I had a nice visit, though it was cut short. I'm afraid that I'm the one that bombed him with "interesting" music, like Shpongle. Hopefully I will get to hear more of his stuff one of these days.

Ken, I am only familiar with the "Isn't She Lovely" Livingston Taylor track on the SACD and it is terrific. I got to hear him perform it live not long ago. The Chesky recordings feature great sonics (that really being the whole point) but the performances often adhere to Holt's Law IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I was afraid of that....we shall see.

Thanks bud..

So you and the Domester had a visit? He has interesting tastes in music..

Ken
    Ken, TD and I had a nice visit, though it was cut short. I'm afraid that I'm the one that bombed him with "interesting" music, like Shpongle. Hopefully I will get to hear more of his stuff one of these days.
    Yes, I'd be pleased to spend more time with both of you, thumping my way through your libraries.

As for Mr. Holt, he and I are eternally joined at the ear because of his published admiration for the JBL Performance Series. Strange bedfellows, indeed; nonetheless, he has a great appreciation of live orchestral music as do I. The way the PS can handle the orchestral experience is magic to me, as my recent obsession with Howard Shore's LOTR The Complete Recordings bears out.

In fact, it's WHAT'S PLAYING NOW.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14439

I have admired JGH and his audio writings for many years. I have a fairly complete collection of Stereophile back to about 1980. TD, you are welcome to borrow these anytime to read his output from the days he ran the magazine.

i see that what's playing now 2 has been moved.i think it was started to get around term limits on long threads or due to excessive load times,but no matter.hopefully wpn is here to stay and for the record billy holiday quintessential vol3 .............on columbia is playing now.racencase how do you feel about zappa.........hot rats or even grand wazoo?

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    i see that what's playing now 2 has been moved.i think it was started to get around term limits on long threads or due to excessive load times
    The follow-on discussion suggested that load-times were more (and perhaps only) related to graphics, and not to thread length, per se. We thought it best to keep the entire "library" here, together - it can be Searched more efficiently being in one thread. Otherwise, if anyone has hard statistics on load times, we will revisit this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    ...but no matter. hopefully wpn is here to stay
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    they just refuse to be responsive.
    Ouch. Interesting negotiation style... Please refer to the above, again.

I will have to drop out of this thread. The load time is so long, and while loading all other ip traffic comes to a stall.
    That is unfortunate. Is the experience truly unique to this thread? Can you please sample some others that have high graphic content? Northwoods picture threads were offered as a comparable where load times can be long, even tho the threads are quite short.

they just refuse to be responsive.
    Ouch.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

My third system stack is getting out of control. I just dug out my old single-play Sony CDP-991 and hooked it to the pile in my avatar. First album through the old CD:

Fleetwood Mac: "Mystery to Me". Nicely balanced for the realistic '70s sound with the 4412As.

Now I've moved on to something that shows them off a bit better:

Michael Hedges: "Arial Boundaries". What an amazing talent. Only after his death did i hear him credit Steve Stills with teaching how to play guitar.

This is the CD I used to demo all my car-audio CD-installations back in the Eighties. I still get chills thinking about driving a BMW M1 I'd just installed the first Sony car CD-player in using ADS speakers. Memories. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?

I will have to drop out of this thread.
    let's not be too hasty.maybe there is a solution.no word yet on that other thing.hot tuna...........burgers..heather made me do it

Thread Information