Page 81 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181581 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

I've switched rooms and material. Currently viewing John Mayer's new concert DVD "Where The Light Is" which debuted in select theaters for a special one-day event. Didn't see it there but I'm enjoying it quite a bit right now at home. For under fourteen-bucks for the DVD, I chose it over the CD.

Now I'm a John Mayer fan and feel he really doesn't get his due as an artist and guitar player. Most think of him as a Pop musician, but he's really much more. We've discussed before the disappointment with his earlier Trio CD release but here the best of the three sets is the Trio with electric bass and drums. These guys are cookin' and the audio quality seems pretty exceptional. Of course I'm playing it on the old 030 system (D130, 075) so it suits my ears. Just something about the sound stage presented by just a pair of 15" speakers when you're sitting in the sweet spot. If you like bluesy jazz with a heavy guitar emphasis, you might want to give it a try. The straight-up concert band set is good, as well, and the opening acoustic set is well done. And you can fast-forward past the "interview" cuts if you're not interested in that stuff. Mayer certainly isn't the best blues-man there is, and many won't think him authentic, but after hearing B.B. King talk his way through a concert last week, it's a pleasure to hear and see someone actually play a guitar. And I like B.B.

My daughter tells me I'm gonna go deaf, but she must be confusing loudness with the tickling of her ear follicles . . . or whatever it is they're talking about on that other thread! The Crown DC300A-II is set at twelve-o'clock and the Soundcraftsmen DX4200 is barely at ten-o'clock. I haven't gotten close to the sweet-spot yet! This is how I do my best work and still enjoy my Saturday afternoon. Rock on

My deserted island CD

Gone to Earth

After 20 years I still keep coming back.

Atmospheric with 'Frippertronics'
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jackie McLean, Jacknife, from 1965. I so love tenor sax that I sometimes forget about the great alto players. I enjoy Jackie as much as Bird, lest we forget also an alto man.

My favorite jazz drummer, Jack DeJohnette, is here, as are the wonderful trumpeters Lee Morgan and Charles Tolliver. This is a truly great jazz date.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

HELP - I've only got this for 3 weeks..where to start ??????

Forever changing : the golden age of Elektra Records 1963-1973.

5 sound discs :
    Performer Various performers. Note Previously released material, 1963-1973.
    Compact discs.
    Includes booklet with extensive program notes, biographical information, photographs, and performer commentaries (76 p. : ports.) inserted in container.

Contents Disc 1: Turn! Turn! Turn!/To everything there is a season / Judy Collins -- He was a friend / Dian & The Greenbriar Boys -- High flying bird / Judy Henske -- Dink's song (Fare thee well) / Bob Gibson -- Casey ; Shady grove ; Little brown dog / Dick Rosmimi -- Linin' truck / Koerner, Ray & Glover -- The even dozens / The Even Dozen Jug Band -- Wild child in a world of trouble / Vince Martin & Fred Neil -- Good luck child / "Spider" John Koerner -- Downtown blues / Geoff Muldaur -- I ain't marching anymore / Phil Ochs -- The last thing on my mind / Tom Paxton -- Pride of man / Hamilton Camp -- Tomorrow is a long time / Judy Collins -- Black mountain rag / The Dillards ; with Byron Berline -- Green rocky road / Kathy & Carol -- Cocaine / Phil Boroff -- House un-American blues activity dream / Richard Fariña -- West egg rag / Dave Ray -- Two trains running / Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis -- Breeze / Oliver Smith -- Joshua gone Barbados / Tom Rush -- Other side to this life / Fred Neil -- Birdses / Dino Valente -- Blues with a feeling / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- Moonlight drive (early version) / The Doors.

Disc 2: My little red book / Love -- Wings / Tim Buckley -- So easy she goes by / David Blue -- I got a mind to give up living / The Butterfield Blues Band -- The magic carpet / Pat Kilroy -- First girl I loved / The Incredible String Band -- The invisible backwards-facing grocer who rose to fame / Alasdair Clayre -- One time and one time only / Tom Paxton -- Changes / Phil Ochs -- Hard lovin' loser / Judy Collins -- She comes in colors / Love -- Light my fire / The Doors -- Black roses / Clear Light -- Once I was / Tim Buckley -- Virgo / The Zodiac Cosmic Sounds -- Buy for me the rain / Steve Noonan -- Nevertheless / Eclection -- Fields of people / Ars Nova -- Dame fortune / The Holy Modal Rounders -- Girl of the seasons / Bamboo -- Magazine lady / "Spider" John Koerner & Willie Murphy -- The Red Sox are winning / Earth Opera -- I want you / The Waphphle.

Disc 3: Alone again or / Love -- Both sides now / Judy Collins -- No regrets / Tom Rush -- Jennifer's rabbit / Tom Paxton -- Swift as the wind / The Incredible String Band -- Frozen warnings / Nico -- Down river / David Ackles -- Mad Lydia's waltz / Earth Opera -- Sing a song for you / Tim Buckley -- The sun comes up each day / David Stoughton -- Early morning blues & greens / Diane Hildebrand -- She sang hymns out of tune / The Dillards -- Arthur comics / Stalk-Forrest Group -- Five to one / The Doors -- Apricot brandy / Rhinoceros -- When the battle is over / Delaney & Bonnie and Friends -- Mt. Healthy blues / Lonnie Mack -- Kick out the jams / MC5 -- I wanna be your dog / The Stooges -- Go back / Crabby Appleton -- Dismal day / Bread -- August / Love.

Disc 4: Down on the street / The Stooges -- Louise / Paul Siebel -- Amazing grace / Judy Collins -- That's the way I've always heard it should be / Carly Simon -- Riders on the storm / The Doors -- The future's not what it used to be / Mickey Newbury -- Start living / Farquahr -- Taxi / Harry Chapin -- True story of Amelia Earhart / Plainsong -- I hardly know her name / The Wackers -- Ballad of the ship of state / David Ackles -- The guitar man / Bread -- You're so vain / Carly Simon -- You don't grow old / Courtland Pickett -- Dolphins / Cyrus Faryar -- Shadows on the wall / Skymonters ; with Hamid Hamilton Camp -- Burning Love / Dennis Linde -- Keep yourself alive / Queen.

Disc 5: Wind Chimes -- Don't be long / The Beefeaters -- I'll be back / Joshua Rifkin -- Baldheaded end of the broom / The Dry City Scat Band -- We shall be happy / Joseph Spence -- Good time music / The Lovin' Spoonful -- Born in Chicago / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- Crossroads / Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse -- I'll keep it with mine / Judy Collins -- She's a woman / The Charles River Valley Boys -- Sunshine sunshine / Tom Rush -- Bird song / The Holy Modal Rounders -- She's ready to be free / Clear Light -- Wayfaring stranger / Tim Buckley -- Laissez-faire / David Ackles -- Alphabet song / David Peel & The Lower East Side -- Voodoo woman / Simon Stokes & The Nighthawks -- Please (Mark II) / Eclection -- Flames (single version) / Leviathan -- No words between us / Show of hands -- Listening to music / Jack S. Margolis -- Lotus / The Rainbow Band -- The persecution & restoration of Dean Moriarty (On the road) / Aztec Two-Step -- P.O.W. / Goodthunder -- All around my grandmother's floor / Andy Roberts -- World without end / Jobriath.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Sons of Champlin

I don't know why I waited so many years to buy the Sons....... on CD. I am glad I finally did. Just got a 2 cd set entitled "The Ariola Years" and I am well pleased.

It is a 3 album compilation consisting of "A Circle Filled with Love", Loving is Why, and The Sons of Champlin"

The mix sounds just right through my L100s.

Aloha indycraft

Wow, the Son's.
    Great group. Used to see them live a lot back in the '70's.
    Didn't know a CD is out. Time to go get it
    Thanks for the heads up on "The Ariola Years"

Steve aka Maui Steve

Baal Tinne, The Clearing

This morning I have been having a lot of fun listening to the new album from Baal Tinne, The Clearing.
    One song in particular, Toss the Feather/Shoemaker's Daughter
    The opening of the song with the bodhrán drum has me all goofy.
    I have been playing it over and over. Part of it is from being a percussion player from years ago in orchestra's, marching bands, symphonies, percussion ensembles and jazz bands, the other part is just how great it was recorded and clarity of its sound.
    I first played it on my Altec Santiago's, then JBL 4425's and 4311's and and then an old pair of Klipsch Heresy's.
    When I hear a real clean and pronounced kick drum or other drums or percussive instrument being played that I can actually hear the stick or mallet or ( for the bodhrán, tipper) I just love it. Getting to hear drum rolls and being able to listen to the pressure on the sticks hitting the head, even or uneven pressure from each hand, right or left handed, matched or traditional grip on the sticks is a joy for me.

Rest of the album is also very good, even if one doesn't normally listen to Irish music

Steve aka Maui Steve

Rest of the album is also very good, even if one doesn't normally listen to Irish music

Steve aka Maui Steve[/quote]

I like this artist for music with an irish/cajun influence.

http://www.littlebluemen.com/beth.asp

The last time I saw the sons was August of 1976 on television on one of the concert shows. The only time I saw them live was spring of 1976. A couple of guys pooled their money and hired them to come to our town of 6500 people. They played at the roller rink....(no skating allowed) The 2 promoters were bragging about how many tickets they were selling (trying to build excitement) It worked against them and I think there were less than 100 people at the show. Quite an intimate performance. They played with so much energy it was and still is hard to imagine they could have played with anymore intensely for any sized audience.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Aloha indycraft

Wow, the Son's.
    Great group. Used to see them live a lot back in the '70's.
    Didn't know a CD is out. Time to go get it
    Thanks for the heads up on "The Ariola Years"

Steve aka Maui Steve

Collaborating with the topic:
    James Benatti Lansing

This and That

Yesterday I was in Lüneburg 50 km south of Hamburg by chance. There was a a second hand shop for old media (Lps, Cds ...). The owner told me that the selling of LPs is growing, he is quite satisfied. He even showed an interest in one or more of my spare TT.

I looked for an Oscar Peterson LP, but it ended up with a jazz sampler. And I got Udo Jürgens (180 g vinyl), BAP and Peter Maffay - all German artists.

When I came home there was finally a DVD ordered online:
    The Everly Brothers Reunion Concert
    Live from the Royal Albert Hall London
    September 23, 1983

I recognized most of the nineteen tracks. Two or three beats and the memory was back. I wondered where from I knew them all. It was not the music they played regularly in German radio stations. Maybe AFN (American Forces Network from the Frankfurt area) or my brother had simply collected these songs on tape (reel).
    The Everly Brothers are singing with great intensity. Wonderful musicians and a very delighted audience join this great concert.

Stage monitor of concert::

I just had..."Have a nice Decade" - the 70's ,,,,,7 CD set,,,,I had forgotten how corny that time era was .....WOW ,,,only ripped to MP3 about 10 percent of the tunes, and they were IFFY. (mostly Doors & BTO)

Fly Robin, Fly !!! (up up to the sky) .....where is that emoicon holding nose ?

just picked up "MotherShip"

its a 2 disk LZ greatest hits set with very nice remaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothership_(album)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    just picked up "MotherShip"

its a 2 disk LZ greatest hits set with very nice remaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothership_(album)
    Wow - that's interesting!

I'd heard that Mothership was one of the albums mastered with high compression to get a higher loudness setting, so it would compete with other contemporary recordings with similar high compression settings ...
    some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back.

I've got older copies and I'm not enough of a fan to buy those albums yet again, so I can't check it myself ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wow - that's interesting!

I'd heard that Mothership was one of the albums mastered with high compression to get a higher loudness setting, so it would compete with other contemporary recordings with similar high compression settings ...
    some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back.

I've got older copies and I'm not enough of a fan to buy those albums yet again, so I can't check it myself ...
    I've got them all on vinyl (doubles of II, IV and ITTOD), then bought all again on CD (sounded like crap, gave them to an ex-gf), got the first box sets (sounded good, but out of album order), then ripped MP3s of my brother's later box set (same sound, in album order). Can't make me buy more. Later got more live stuff on CD & DVD.

je

Thread Information