Page 530 of 721 FirstFirst ... 30430480520528529530531532540580630 ... LastLast
Results 7,936 to 7,950 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

pocket disc

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Deep Purple - Fireball
    (1971, Warner Bros)

This Pocket Disc (remember those?) was in the sleeve, forgot that I had it.

This is one of those very thin flexible discs used for promotion, isn't it? We knew it from "Reader's Digest" in the seventies. But the Deep Purple song on this one is interesting:"Hard Road". Deep Purple Mark 1. Never heard of this song!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Eric Clapton - There's One In Every Crowd
    (1975, RSO) UK pressing

recorded in Jamaica. a few reggae songs here along the same lines included with 461 Ocean Blvd. nice.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    This is one of those very thin flexible discs used for promotion, isn't it? We knew it from "Reader's Digest" in the seventies. But the Deep Purple song on this one is interesting:"Hard Road". Deep Purple Mark 1. Never heard of this song!
    Yes, the picture doesn't show the scale but these are about half the size of a 45. I think these were also sold in stores alongside 45s in the late 60s. I recall I purchased Sky Pilot - Eric Burdon & The Animals and Gotta Get a Message - Bee Gees in the pocket disk format - both of these came out in 1968.

Yes, it's the B side for Kentucky Woman. Another 1968 release. It looks like the song was titled Hard Road (Wring That Neck). On the 45 release for Kentucky Woman, they titled it Wring That Neck. interesting.

Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only
    (1971, ABC Dunhill)

Rockin'. described as Blues Image meets Steppenwolf with Kent Henry on Lead guitar.

I agree--Deadlines is an often overlooked Strawbs album. I rank it as one of my three favorites by the band--Hero And Heroine, Ghosts, and Deadlines are my three favorites (in no particular order). If you haven't heard Ghosts, I highly recommend it as being one of their best --although they never made a bad album IMO.
    Weird cover art by Hipgnosis. This LP is underrated IMHO. Dave Lambert's guitar work is superb. Looking at the iconic front fold-cover picture it must be clear to anybody: this album had no chance in 1978. It was drowned by PUNK..........

Love this album too--one of the Strawbs true masterpieces!
    More traces of guitar work by Dave Lambert. Produced November 1973 at Rosenberg Studios, Copenhagen by Dave Cousins. The band had a new line-up after dramatic personal changes. Only Cousins and Lambert were remaining. Mighty mellotron passages. Overall mellow mood and wonderful, harmonized folk-vocals. This one is one of the finest releases of the Strawbs. Listen to track A4 "Shine on silver sun". Sunday morning music while working in the kitchen.

Never heard of these guys--will have to search for them. Thanks for the heads up!
    In search of more guitar work by Dave Lambert. He composed four songs on this LP. Ex-Mungo Jerry Band. Produced with much fun by Dave Cousins (Strawbs) at the Manor and Pye studios. Warm, folky bluegrass blues feel. Listen to track A5 "Plastic Jesus".

Billie Holiday - Music For Torching
    (1955, Clef) MONO, 60's issue on Verve

enjoying Ms. Holiday's vocals (and Benny Carter, Harry Edison, John Rowles) with a nice seasonal IPA - Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Tropical IPA

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Never heard of these guys--will have to search for them. Thanks for the heads up!
    +1. Love Mungo Jerry.

Them - Them
    (1965, Parrot) -1B / -1B, Monarch symbol in the deadwax

1966 release with the 2nd cover hyping the hit song Gloria

Charley D. And Milo - s/t
    (1970, Epic) -1C / -1D

includes a cover of Dylan's I'll Keep It With Mine. interesting country folk-psychedelic.

IPA

Billie Holiday - Music For Torching
    (1955, Clef) MONO, 60's issue on Verve

enjoying Ms. Holiday's vocals (and Benny Carter, Harry Edison, John Rowles) with a nice seasonal IPA - Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Tropical IPA

What means IPA? My favorite beer is the local "Schützengarten" from St. Gallen. Only barley, hop and water. No further ingredients allowed: Reinheitsgebot= it must be pure. It's the same as I like the music: keep it simple!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Jimmy Page studio help

Them - Them
    (1965, Parrot) -1B / -1B, Monarch symbol in the deadwax

1966 release with the 2nd cover hyping the hit song Gloria
    On "Gloria", Baby please don't go" , "Here comes the night", and possibly further songs of 1964, studio crack Jimmy Page did his exercises for Them.

John Kay

Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only
    (1971, ABC Dunhill)

Rockin'. described as Blues Image meets Steppenwolf with Kent Henry on Lead guitar.
    John Kay is one of the most impressive powerful voices of Rock Music.

Herbie Hancock, River/The Joni Letters, 2007, Verve EU, 2LP, 7468344

This is an adorable one. And it's for vinyl fans. Tribute from Herbie to Joni Mitchell. Simply great.
    2 LPs in foldcover.
    Wayne Shorter sax, Dave Holland bass, Vinnie Colaiuta dr, Lionel Loueke, guitar. With loving vocals for Joni: Norah Jones, Corinne Bailey Rae, Luciana Souza and Leonard Cohen. But the track which goes straight to your heart is A2 "Edith and the Kingpin" with powerful mellow vocals by Tina Turner. Listen loud, test your equipment!!!

Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information